Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a job.

Chuck D

For 5 months now...been looking for a job.

A.S. Degree in Law/Criminal Justice. 3.80 GPA

Clean Criminal Record, Clean Credit Check, References Galore.

Extensive "volunteer/internship" record with Legal Agencies.

2/3rds financial "ride" to a major University.

Still no luck. :angry:

Well...there is always criminal activity. :lol:

Chuck,

Take your CJ degree and apply for a job in law enforcement. Spend 3-5 years doing that while finishing your 4 year degree. Go to law school and pass the bar exam. Retire at 40. :D:D:D

Fanciful huh? I have a lawyer friend who did just that. Except he didn't retire at 40, he has hung in there and he's mid 50's now.

Not making light of your plight. I finally finished college with a BS in Management at the prime age of 47. If I hadn't already had a career established, I probably would have starved looking for a job.

Good luck!!!

dj

Chuck,

Take your CJ degree and apply for a job in law enforcement. Spend 3-5  years doing that while finishing your 4 year degree. Go to law school and pass the bar exam. Retire at 40. :D  :D  :D

Listen to DJ - damn good advise.... :)

Join the club. Try finding an entry level position in mechanical engineering. Been looking for about a year now, that's why I'm in grad school to keep myself busy.

A friend of mine went through law school and still took her a year to find a job. Now she's facing a possible lay off because she works for the county government.

Hi. Ever consider teaching in public schools? There is a course called "Law and Public Safety". My understanding of it is as follows, which may or may not be correct:

1) Three years of law enforcement experience--your degree in CJ might be an acceptable substitute.

2) Hold an instructor's certificate. Obtainable in a few weeks at a Police Academy.

3) Pass the "Praxis I", a test of basic math, reading, writing. I think you have a year to take the test after employment.

Not sure if it would all apply in your area, but it may be something to look at if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Luck.

Ray

Might also consider substitute teaching in the local public schools while you're looking. Around here, they pay $60 - $80 day. Depending on the BOE, you need like 2 years worth of college credits.

That is precisely the reason I decided not to go to college to pursue a career.

Bad Move Jake. Really bad move. I made the same decision and am paying sorely for it now by trying to get my damned degree while holding down a full time job, a part time job, a housewife job and shooting.

Jake, two words:

Electrical Engineer

There is a dire shortage of EE's (and most other highly technical disciplines) and will be for a loooong time to come in the US. Chemistry, Biology, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering are all good choices for careers if you decide not to be an independent businessman.

Whatever you do, we'll still love ya man!

There is a dire shortage of EE's

MYTH MYTH MYTH MYTH MYTH MYTH MYTH

The visa loophole has been abused to the point where we have tons of EE's and can quickly get more from China and India who will work for cheap to keep their work visa. I couldn't throw a paper clip from my cubicle in any direction without hitting six of them.

I have been an EE for 28 years and I can say this without fear of contradiction:

You want a REALLY high paying job where you can work whatever shift or hours you want?

NURSE NURSE NURSE NURSE NURSE

I, too, wandered away before they handed me a degree. The only job I ever lost because of it was when I had almost managed to scam a gig as "Writer In Residence" for one of those sunshine colleges in Florida--Daddy got enough money, you get a degree. The student body, especially the female part, was amazing--bronze, beautiful, enhanced and with the IQ of cocker spaniels.They were talking about $50K for "facilitating" two seminars. I figured I'd buy a cord jacket with those suede elbow patches, a fake pipe and talk about how writing was a mirror of the soul. So I'm at a faculty party in full BS mode just before the papers got cut, and someone asked me where I got my degree. Stupid me told the truth. I shoulda said "Haaavaaard."

mb

Jake

Hope your serperate businesses don't require you to spell :P:lol:

Brother don't leave an opening like that on this forum...you will get buried...

Hope you know I am kidding, but couldn't overlook an opportunity like that...congratulations on owning your own businesses...

I've got nothing bad to say about the degree, especially the degree process. Where else would I learn gemcutting or Mayan heiroglyphics? :) College is an excellent experience in how to learn.

However, were I going back again, I'd think twice about the Comp Sci degree again. It worked well for me, but since it's one of those jobs that can be done anywhere, it can be done anywhere, including lower overhead places like India or Russia or China or whoever is trying to out-compete them next.

Look for something that is best done locally. Medical & Legal always seem to be in demand. Pilots get lots of free time (and good pay), as do firefighters.

The legal field is not in demand. Maybe if you're in a support capacity such as a paralegal or secretary (sorry, administrative assistant), but not for an attorney. In NJ alone, over 1,200 people were admitted to the bar last year. Do you think that there were 1,200 new attorney job openings last year in NJ? Even before the economy headed south a few years ago, law firms where cutting back on new hires, concentrating mostly on lateral hires - which causes a conundrum - the only way to get a job is to have experience (lateral hire), but the only way to get experience is to get a job out of law school, which there are very few of.

Nursing and civil engineering are the two hot jobs right now. Medical field tend not be affected by economy as much. Civil engineers are in great demand. All other engineering jobs are going to India. The current trend is to send it off to India. They get it 90% done, then it is sent back to the US where an American licensed engineer finishes up the rest and put their name on it.

I spent the first two years of my enlistment working in a grocery store. I managed a grocery section that sold $1.2M in product every month (military commissary so no profit). Within three months I had job offers from two distributors and four national companies to be sales representative for the SW region of the country. My fellow military members used to laugh at me. People have to eat.

Liota