Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Try Limited Or Limited 10?

dart368

Limited to get away from reloads.

Limited 10 to get away from better limited shooters.ph34r.gif

Limited 10 is for the people who live in the crummy states who only allow 10 round mags. I'm in NJ and its bad enough they limit it to 15.

I chose limited over production because I have grown attached to my magwell shooting ESP in IDPA. Didn't have anything to do with with reloads, I just like the way the magwell feels on my grip.

I started in limited because I only had 5 mags to start and where I started shooting, some of the field courses were 40+ rounds. I loaded up my 5 XDM40 mags and went for it. Turned out to be an OK decision. After 2 years, I am on the verge of getting my B card for Limited.

I have been shooting Limited 10 along with Limited to get more reload practice and eventually, after I make B in each, I want to move to try production.

Limited-10 is really for states that have 10-round limits on mag capacity. The cool thing is I can then shoot two guns in a match, and game the stages the same way. I still gravitate toward production. It is the most fun to me for some reason. I like to see that I can shoot faster and more accurately than most of our L, and L-10 shooters with my little o'l G17. I know I am not really competing against them, but in my little world I am.

As to why? I don't really know. People say that those classes offer you a chance to focus more on movement. I don't agree. In all divisions you are moving through the course of fire, and all benefit from economy of movement. I would argue that the divisions are there now so that you can shoot more guns! That is my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

JZ

When I first got into USPSA shooting, my buddy told me that production would be best for practicing reloading while moving. But I guess Limited 10 would give me the same advantage in that perspective. Besides that, would I have a better opportunity to go from being a "C" shooter to a "B" shooter?

Limited-10 is really for states that have 10-round limits on mag capacity. The cool thing is I can then shoot two guns in a match, and game the stages the same way. I still gravitate toward production. It is the most fun to me for some reason. I like to see that I can shoot faster and more accurately than most of our L, and L-10 shooters with my little o'l G17. I know I am not really competing against them, but in my little world I am.

As to why? I don't really know. People say that those classes offer you a chance to focus more on movement. I don't agree. In all divisions you are moving through the course of fire, and all benefit from economy of movement. I would argue that the divisions are there now so that you can shoot more guns! That is my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

JZ

And L10 is great for a number of guns that -- loaded with factory ammo -- don't really fit in Production, and that are capacity challenged enough to not really be at home in Limited....

When I first got into USPSA shooting, my buddy told me that production would be best for practicing reloading while moving. But I guess Limited 10 would give me the same advantage in that perspective. Besides that, would I have a better opportunity to go from being a "C" shooter to a "B" shooter?

I would think that the 100% level on the classifiers is about the same for Limited and Limited 10, since classifiers aren't typically won on mag capacity.

Ask yourself, who do you want to compete against and compare your scores to? Do you have a best friend that shoots? You might want to shoot the same division as he/she. There's plenty of people to shoot against in production these days. When I started, there were three of us in prod. These days my we've got between 25 and 40 production shooters at a regular club match! And I switched to Limited before the growth in prod. I do enjoy limited the most. Magwells and 20 rounds in the gun is fun, and I still like iron sights better than red dots.

There are 6, count'em, 6 divisions. No division is more or less than another. They ALL require the same basic skills, but some require that you hone certain skills more than others.

Open with the higher capacity, comps and dots I feel empathizes speed, You have the equipment to allow you to go fast so you really have to do it.

Limited is a bit slower on average and you do need to reload at least on bigger stages. Sight picture is perhaps more critical and you are dealing with perhaps more recoil impulse as you don't have a a comp.

Limited-10 allows all the guns that are competitive in Limited as well as a number of guns that would not work so well in Limited. Here you can also use your Single stack, even the ones that don't fit well in Single Stack.

Single Stack is a special case in that you are limited to a very specific handgun. You'll need to concentrate on accuracy as well as reloading and movement.

Production only allows Safe-Action or DA guns and minor Power factor. Accuracy counts, reloading skills count, and you still need speed.

Revolver is wholly different than any other division. The low capacity and the skill sets are different than any other division. Stage break down is completely different.

Many skills from one division cross over to others. Stage breakdown differs but the ability to break down a stage is required in all divisions. Reloading is a required skill, Accuracy counts everywhere. Your footwork is paramount to success.

SO why pick one division over another? The equipment you already have, the division that your friends shoot, in some cases what is allowed by local laws.

I would consul most new shooters against starting in Open. It is better in my opinion to start in a division where you have to master basics like stage breakdown, reloading and accuracy due to reduced capacity and conventional sights.

At our practice matches a lot of us will shoot L-10 rather than Limited just to keep the basics fresh.

Limited to get away from reloads.

Limited 10 to get away from better limited shooters.ph34r.gif

+1 on this.. Limited and Production are the 2 divisions with the "overall" deepest pools of "talent" at most clubs/sections I've shot at. Open is a wide mix, who cares about revolver (I kid :D ), and L10 is just a silly division unless you live in a state with a ban on high capacity mags.

Single Stack is a special case in that you are limited to a very specific handgun. You'll need to concentrate on accuracy as well as reloading and movement.

Production only allows Safe-Action or DA guns and minor Power factor. Accuracy counts, reloading skills count, and you still need speed.

Also, Single Stack Division adds another twist. Shoot Major PF with .40 or .45 and load only 8 in the mags. Shoot Minor PF with 9mm and load 10 in the mags, as long as the mags fit the box. There is a weight limit here. No slide cuts allowed that are obviously there to cut weight.

Production also allows Traditional DA guns (which is what I think Jim meant), or what most call DA/SA guns such as the Beretta 92 or Sig P226. There's also a weight limit. Cannot be more than 2oz over the listed weights in the NROI Approved Production Gun List. Pay attention to what modifications are legal and which are not.

I can shoot my G35 in limited 10, similar to production, same round count without having to buy extra equipment like limited.

There also is a scoring difference between major and minor.

Last major I was in there where 3 competitors in L-10.

It all depends on where the match is. Seems Limited then Production then Open, then L-10, SS and Revo is the general lineup anymore. However, in some markets Production and L10 will move to the top spots. We are looking forward to a "Factory Gun Sectional" in July in Jackson, NJ

L10, SS, Prof and Revo only need apply

• 1 month later...

We have a match here in SW Florida that recognizes Open, Limited and Limited 10 in November. In December, another club has a Factory gun match with recognizes Single Stack, Production and Revolver. You can shoot both matches in a different division. Shooting either one unclassified is not good so you should have enought classifiers in each division.

Why?

I know damn well the limited gun with more modifications allowed won't make me shoot better but...

I am a car guy at heart and have always loved to tinker and "upgrade" things. I like modifying machinery and trying different configurations.

I can't leave any of my cars bone stock, even if they are fast and handle well from the dealer. I HAVE to add my own touches. I have been like that since a child.

I can see myself building an open gun in a very near future for this same reason. I just like to tinker with cool toys! My production G34 is cool, but it's just boring from an equipment standpoint. :roflol:

Edited by JaeOne3345

Heres how it went for me.... I started off production G17, I got the impression that the "proper progression" was to start in production. I found myself quickly frustrated with just loading 10 in a perfectly good hi cap mag! I get it about stage planning etc, I just felt this is stupid after all those years of being told that hi cap mags would turn me into a criminal, now to only load 10? just didnt sit well, kinda like in IDPA being told i had to retain the mag with reloads... WTF? Subsequently i started shooting steel challenge where a limited no power factor set up is the norm...

For me this is a hobby, and hobbies are an outlet for the other stresses I deal with in life... not getting killed at my day job, keeping my wife happy, being a forced part time parent.... a big part of hobbies is tweakin out on cool new equipment.

So next thing I know I have a nice magwell on a G34 with dawson basepads and a DAA race holster. That puts me in limited shooting minor, and I love it! I care more about shooting well, calling my shots, seeing the front sight and the whole zen thing of a stage well shot than where I end up on the results. I started off feeling like I had to conform to some unspoken progression but now just run the gear that makes me happy and shoot it the best i can. I will never make a penny at this game and would never have it another way! I say pick up the gun that makes you smile, get the gear that makes you wanna go out in the garage and dryfire and let that decide what class you shoot!

Just my thoughts....

Heres how it went for me.... I started off production G17, I got the impression that the "proper progression" was to start in production. I found myself quickly frustrated with just loading 10 in a perfectly good hi cap mag! I get it about stage planning etc, I just felt this is stupid after all those years of being told that hi cap mags would turn me into a criminal, now to only load 10? just didnt sit well, kinda like in IDPA being told i had to retain the mag with reloads... WTF? Subsequently i started shooting steel challenge where a limited no power factor set up is the norm...

For me this is a hobby, and hobbies are an outlet for the other stresses I deal with in life... not getting killed at my day job, keeping my wife happy, being a forced part time parent.... a big part of hobbies is tweakin out on cool new equipment.

So next thing I know I have a nice magwell on a G34 with dawson basepads and a DAA race holster. That puts me in limited shooting minor, and I love it! I care more about shooting well, calling my shots, seeing the front sight and the whole zen thing of a stage well shot than where I end up on the results. I started off feeling like I had to conform to some unspoken progression but now just run the gear that makes me happy and shoot it the best i can. I will never make a penny at this game and would never have it another way! I say pick up the gun that makes you smile, get the gear that makes you wanna go out in the garage and dryfire and let that decide what class you shoot!

Just my thoughts....

+1.

Figure out what pushes your buttons, and find the game that does it for you.

For me, I find joy in the stage breakdown as forced by multiple reloads, as well as being to tweak my guns. That set the stage for me to play in L-10 rather than Limited.

Others find that a smooth running 1911 brings a smile to their face, and so they play the Single Stack game. Yet, others find that the pure speed and letting a gun let loose in Open is the thing that keeps them coming back week after week. I met somebody once who wasn't there for the shooting, but for the social aspect of the game. He just run what he had brung not really caring about his points standings -- he just wanted to get a chance to hang out with other shooters.

Just my thoughts....

+1.

Figure out what pushes your buttons, and find the game that does it for you.

For me, I find joy in the stage breakdown as forced by multiple reloads, as well as being to tweak my guns. That set the stage for me to play in L-10 rather than Limited.

Others find that a smooth running 1911 brings a smile to their face, and so they play the Single Stack game. Yet, others find that the pure speed and letting a gun let loose in Open is the thing that keeps them coming back week after week. I met somebody once who wasn't there for the shooting, but for the social aspect of the game. He just run what he had brung not really caring about his points standings -- he just wanted to get a chance to hang out with other shooters.

One of the things I really like about the game is the differentiation between the divisions. I can shoot the same sport, with the same friends, with totally different gear depending on my mood....

i started in L10. i was shooting 170PF 45 loads, and i didn't want to get scored minor in production. I also didn't want to compete against guys that had 20+ mag capacity, when my m&p45c held 8 (10 with full size mags). the next match i downloaded the 45s to minor and shot production, because there was only 1 other person in L10. Eventually, i bought a xdm5.25 in 9mm and continue to shoot production.

I think you should pick what gun you're going to shoot first, then find the division that gives you the best advantage. In my case, the m&p45c was my only handgun. Not exactly a competition-ready gun, yet there was still a division for me. That's the nice thing about our sport.

Eventually, you'll work the situation backwards, and be like "limited looks really fun. i need to build a limited gun."