Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maintaining last round?

MarkR

During the "if you're done, unload and show clear" signal, do you guys typically just let the round fall on to the ground? I haven't really found a decent way to do this, in order to keep from losing a round to the range when it's not necessary. With my Glock, I usually cup my left hand over the port as I'm racking the slide, with my right hand cupping the magwell after I've released the magazine. The round falls in to my right hand, then goes to my pocket. I know it's kind of a dumb question, but it's been bothering me. 3 times I ejected my last round, it fell to the ground, and it was lost among all the other brass on the ground.

I used to worry about it but then I finally figured that 6 rounds more on a 150 rd day is not really worth worrying about. If I see it land and I know its mine I may pick it up but that's about it any more, unless of course I'm shooting revolver but that's a different story.

Mike

I personally would not put my hand over the ejection port. There have been incidents of people having rounds detonate on the ejector making a mess of their hand. I let the round fall and pick it up afterwards. Worst case scenario of losing the round (cents) is a lot better than losing flesh or a finger.

I personally would not put my hand over the ejection port. There have been incidents of people having rounds detonate on the ejector making a mess of their hand. I let the round fall and pick it up afterwards. Worst case scenario of losing the round (cents) is a lot better than losing flesh or a finger.

I saw one photo that looked like a Hand-Burger the faster the slide moves the more likely the round will hit the ejector in the rite place. medium speed is what they say causes the boom frag

I used to worry about it but then I finally figured that 6 rounds more on a 150 rd day is not really worth worrying about. If I see it land and I know its mine I may pick it up but that's about it any more, unless of course I'm shooting revolver but that's a different story.

Mike

Makes sense. I saw guys picking up a lot of rounds when they were finished, and a few times they handed me my last round that I ejected. Wasn't ever a deal for me I guess, I just thought it was common practice or what not.

After reading a few other threads I finally found on google, I think I'll just let that round fall to the deck and move on.

Edited by MarkR

Makes sense. I saw guys picking up a lot of rounds when they were finished, and a few times they handed me my last round that I ejected. Wasn't ever a deal for me I guess, I just thought it was common practice or what not.

After reading a few other threads I finally found on google, I think I'll just let that round fall to the deck and move on.

Don't trust someone to hand you your round. If you aren't sure it is yours don't use.

Don't trust someone to hand you your round. If you aren't sure it is yours don't use.

Yeah, there's no way I wouldn't use a round that I didn't know was mine.

I do the same as JaxShooter, but only because I've practiced the "flip" and can do it safely. It's no different than the RO sticking his hand out to catch the round, which I see pretty often. I would rather take the risk in catching a round than let the RO. I also pull the slide back for the RO so he can be sure the gun is clear after I pop the round out. That means an extra slide rack, but it only takes a 1/2 second and doubles the clearing check prior to hammer down.

I do the same as JaxShooter, but only because I've practiced the "flip" and can do it safely. It's no different than the RO sticking his hand out to catch the round, which I see pretty often. I would rather take the risk in catching a round than let the RO. I also pull the slide back for the RO so he can be sure the gun is clear after I pop the round out. That means an extra slide rack, but it only takes a 1/2 second and doubles the clearing check prior to hammer down.

I thought of doing that, letting it fly up and catch it, but didn't know how that'd come across. I also rack the slide and leave it open for the RO see that's it's clear.

When I UASC I follow the ejected round with my eyes. When I see where it's resting my eyes go to my chamber. Then slide, hammer, holster and pick up ejected round. I seldom lose one.

To UASC I:

1. pinch the front serrations with my left hand and hold the gun with the web of my right hand
  2. ensure my right hand trigger finger is clear of the trigger guard
  3. slowly push the slide open while tilting the gun/ejection port towards the right
  4. let the round fall into my right hand as the round clears the ejection port
  5. hold everything open for inspection, both me and the RO

If I didn't have the front serrations, I'd retract the slide holding from the rear and let the round drop to the ground and retrieve it if I saw where it landed otherwise I'd leave it.

Edited by lumpygravy

I let it fall and if the guy hands it to me, I say thanks, and then go drop it in the dud/live round bucket. Atm a alrge match there always seems to be a lot of .40 round that look like mine. I won't shoot it.

My problem with folks flipping the round out and catching it is your attention is no longer on the firearm, it's on catching the bullet. Most local matches here are 5 stages. That's 5 bullets that fall to the ground. If I rotate the ejection port to towards the ground when I eject the last round it falls to my feet and I can watch it all the way down while still paying attention to my weapon.. Even if I can't it's only a 12 cent cartridge. If I have an out of battery discharge the blast is directed away from my face.

I saw one photo that looked like a Hand-Burger the faster the slide moves the more likely the round will hit the ejector in the rite place. medium speed is what they say causes the boom frag

I agree, I tip the gun to the right and let it gently drop. Since I shoot .45 SWC's I can usually find my round in the sea of .40 brass, but if I do not find it, I don't sweat it.

You could always dykem the bases of your ammo, only takes a quick brush to do 100 if they're in the plastic ammo cases. I doubt there very many blue/red colored ammunition on the ground. I do this to recover my brass sometimes when I shoot SS.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

BS. If you are watching the round fall to the ground, your attention is no more on the gun than mine when I flip it. As a matter of fact, I think that your attention would be further away from the gun than mine since the flipping and catching all takes place right in front of my face.

I have been in on all the flipping posts and I will say this, you guys can come up with all kind of excuses why it is bad but very few of them are valid. I have never seen an actual kaboom and I don't know anybody who has. This was addressed in front site a while back and the three substantiated accounts of it happening were with 40's loade longer than 1.20. There is no need to load them thr long anyway.

You don't have to flip, you don't have to wear yellow shirts, but let's be honest about why you don't like it. You don't like it because it is unsafe only for the guy who doesn't know how to do it. I agree with you there but for a guy who does know how to do it safely, it is probably the safest way to unload the gun. It is the action that is most similar to the way/speed that the gun is meant to operate. I have seen way more rounds get hung up coming out when the guy racks the slide very slowly that in any flipping situation.

My problem with folks flipping the round out and catching it is your attention is no longer on the firearm, it's on catching the bullet. Most local matches here are 5 stages. That's 5 bullets that fall to the ground. If I rotate the ejection port to towards the ground when I eject the last round it falls to my feet and I can watch it all the way down while still paying attention to my weapon.. Even if I can't it's only a 12 cent cartridge. If I have an out of battery discharge the blast is directed away from my face.

Edited by latech15

BS. If you are watching the round fall to the ground, your attention is no more on the gun than mine when I flip it. As a matter of fact, I think that your attention would be further away from the gun than mine since the flipping and catching all takes place right in front of my face.

I have been in on all the flipping posts and I will say this, you guys can come up with all kind of excuses why it is bad but very few of them are valid. I have never seen an actual kaboom and I don't know anybody who has. This was addressed in front site a while back and the three substantiated accounts of it happening were with 40's loade longer than 1.20. There is no need to load them thr long anyway.

You don't have to flip, you don't have to wear yellow shirts, but let's be honest about why you don't like it. You don't like it because it is unsafe only for the guy who doesn't know how to do it. I agree with you there but for a guy who does know how to do it safely, it is probably the safest way to unload the gun. It is the action that is most similar to the way/speed that the gun is meant to operate. I have seen way more rounds get hung up coming out when the guy racks the slide very slowly that in any flipping situation.

Please don't take this post the wrong way, but are there any videos that show how to properly flip the round out of the chamber? Not trying to be a jackass or anything, I'd like to see one so I can work on it/try it out at home before going to the range.

If your worried about doing this properly follow A for a while. Or B after you have practiced with a dummy round to get the hang of it.

-Remove the magazine from the weapon.

-Use your support/weak hand to pull the slide briskly to the rear.

A -Watch the round eject from the chamber and fall on the ground.

B -After you slingshot the slide catch the extracted round while maintaining muzzle discipline (Point the weapon down range and not anywhere near the RO. If you miss the round let it drop and after the range is clear pick up the cartridge and place it in the live ammo bin, don't bother reusing.

Maybe I will make a video demonstration.

Eddie Garcia, like myself, is a flipper. I typically cut my videos off and go to the next stage before the flip happens, but his videos include it. FYI - I have shot with Eddie and he is one of the best shooters out there and also one of the nicest guys too. I think that he has a hook up with some builder or another, too. :D I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his video here.

Eddie flips the gun up when he is cycling the slide more than I do. I try and keep the gun dead still. I think my way is better, but they both work and as long as the muzzle is down range during the flip, you and everyone around you is safe.

The detonations that occur with flippers is *mostly* wiyh long loaded .40 or 9/38 that a loaded round wont clear the ejection port. The bullet hits the port and wont eject, it shifts and the ejector hits the primer.

If your loaded round will clear the port, you most likely wont have a detonation.

Ive seen detonations and the ones that were ugly were long loaded 40's or they racked it hard with their hand over the port. I wont hold my hand over the port, but i do flip with my CZ because it ejects well and predictably. My 1911 doesnt work as well so i roll it over or watch it to the ground.

I generally don't give a darn about losing 1 round per stage. If the RO catches it, great - but I don't try to as I keep my attention on my firearm. They are not too tough to find though since I am one of the only guys shooting Bayou Bullets at my club.

Depending on the caliber, you are looking at $.15-.20 per round if you load your own. $.20 isn't worth the potential injury from detonation to me. I'll let it hit the ground. If I find it great, if not; that's ok too.