Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing a 6" barrel in a regular sized slide

jringels

Are there any issues with installing a 6" barrel in a regular length slide? I am thinking about adding a 6" match grade barrel to my 10mm Full Steel Witness (picking up the gun TODAY me hopes) for hunting. The receptionist at EAA said you can't do that. Dawn at EAA said no problem, the barrel will stick out past the slide, but if I am ok with the looks of that, no problem. Is there any problems with doing so? Thank you!

Are there any issues with installing a 6" barrel in a regular length slide? I am thinking about adding a 6" match grade barrel to my 10mm Full Steel Witness (picking up the gun TODAY me hopes) for hunting. The receptionist at EAA said you can't do that. Dawn at EAA said no problem, the barrel will stick out past the slide, but if I am ok with the looks of that, no problem. Is there any problems with doing so? Thank you!

The only issue I see is getting the barrel into the slide. I don't think you would be able to fit the barrel past the breech face with it that long. I can test this theory at home tonight (if I remember).

Also by "regular length" do you mean a 4.5" or 4.75" ?

I don't know the length, I am purchasing a new full frame steel 10 mm. I don't understand what you mean "past the breech face". I think the breech is supposed to line up fine, just the end of the barrel and the "recoil spring guide" would stick out the muzzle.

What Nealio is talking about is that with the Tanfoglio's with the straight barrels, you insert the barrel into the slide, by going under the slide from the the breech end. There is a very narrow angle that you can get the stock barrel in and out. You may have some difficulty making into that angle with a longer barrel. Think trying to move a sofa through the right angle turn in a narrow corridor. There is a point that the sofa is just too long for the corridor to make the turn.

Looks good. Do you think there would be any mechanical issues with shooting this setup? I assume you did not put in the 6 inch's recoil spring and guide rod, it should be sticking out as well, no? I would mold a custom Kydex holster to fit the gun and the extended barrel/rod, to protect the two from bumping around and possibly bending the rod. Anybody have a 10mm 6" barrel for sale?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Would a 6" barrel setup like that (with 1.25" of the barrel extending past the end of the slide) be legal for Limited USPSA?

as of the fist of the year it is legal for limited. the short version of the new rules is no optic, no comp, no barrel ports other than that just have fun in limited.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Yes, I was a little surprised, but it works:

attachicon.gif6inch barrel.jpg

Now if I could only find some .45 ACP cartridges with a 10mm rim on them.... wink.gif

Old thread I know, but did it fire and function correctly? I am interested in getting a 6 inch for my Stock III for suppression purposes.

Now if I could only find some .45 ACP cartridges with a 10mm rim on them.... wink.gif

Old thread I know, but did it fire and function correctly? I am interested in getting a 6 inch for my Stock III for suppression purposes.

Damn... didn't realize this was an old thread until I got to the bottom and saw your post. :blush: I would be interested in how this project turned out, as well as pics of the suppressed gun. :devil:

If you read it was a .45 Barrel in a 10mm slide, so no it didn't fire or function at all ;)

But I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Edited by Nealio

Would a 6" barrel setup like that (with 1.25" of the barrel extending past the end of the slide) be legal for Limited USPSA?

No, as per the USPSA rulebook:

Appendix D2 - Limited Division

"Authorized Modifications"

- Replacement barrels - provided they are the same length as original factory standard

I think you would have to use a 6 inch slide for it to be legal.

Looks good. Do you think there would be any mechanical issues with shooting this setup? I assume you did not put in the 6 inch's recoil spring and guide rod, it should be sticking out as well, no? I would mold a custom Kydex holster to fit the gun and the extended barrel/rod, to protect the two from bumping around and possibly bending the rod. Anybody have a 10mm 6" barrel for sale?

no. the recoil system goes with the slide. so you use the same guiderod and spring from the gun, not from the gun you got the barrel from. there's no provision for it to 'stick out'. the spring would be far too long anyway.