Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shell caddy advice needed

Alright guys, you have my attention. I know I need to get some shell caddy's, but was hoping to make due for awhile before investing in them. Can you point me towards some of the cheaper ones that work pretty good? Remember, I'm new to 3 gun, and don't need top quality right now. I just need something to get started with. It's either going to be that or a bandoleer for starters.

I did not save much on anything "cheep" that sits in a box or the back of the closet.

Get good ones the first time, Pack a lunch for a day or two if you have to feel rite about it.

Carbon Arms makes the Pin Wheel now that is belt mounted and the FLS www.CarbonArms.us

Mark Outo makes traditional caddies = you can get them from Triangle aka Benny Hill

Mark Otto's are nice and light, he makes great stuff. Another to consider are the AP custom. Their 3x3 and 4x4 hold 6 and 8 in two layers. That keeps them from getting so long that they dig into your groin on the lower end or my fat belly on the top. Alamo shooter is right, get the good stuff right away. I can't imagine a bandolear being any good for 3-gun - too much movement. Try talking to some other shooters at your first or next match. See what they like and if you can, try their gear out. Just make sure to clear whatever you do with the RO.

Shot my first 3-gun match this past weekend and as I had no other option (besides pockets) went with an old shotgun bandoler that has been sitting around here for decades. While not completely FUBAR, it was far from ideal. It would have been better had I tied the end down to my belt but as it was it flopped and flipped and the old, weak elastic let rounds sink down to the rim. I ended up poking them back with my finger tip first to get ahold of them to load. For the next shotgun stage another competitor took pity on me and loaned me an arm band holder. It worked fine and I think I will probably incorporate one into my shotgun loading strategy. Note that I load with weak hand and will do so one at a time. I have small, fat, clumsy hands and just want to keep it simple by loading one at a time. My plan is a tiered approach depending on how many rounds a stage calls for. Some on the belt, some more in a side-saddle, even more in a arm band, and finally a couple in the "oh shucks" two shell holder on the forend. Back to my first stage with the bando, I think I could have loaded as fast from my pocket..........

Edited by chevyoneton

California competition caddies are cheap and will get you by just fine. I consider the Mark Otto's a best value and is what I have, but will cost you a little more scratch. The load 2 systems are a good value too, when you consider cost per shell carried and how quickly you can get up to speed with them. The Otto and Chamelion load 2 belts are a good value, while the Carbon Arms Twins is best in class.

Guys. Thanks for the input. Chandler, I initially didn't read your response in the other thread.

Chandler is helping me out with some extra California Comp works for a great price. Forums like this are great, and this is one of the main reasons. I really appreciate the help. You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar.

Notta problem bud.. just hook up with the guys I told ya about and you will be pointed down the path to enlightenment ( as in your bank account will get lighter once you start shooting 3 gun ) hehe.. Once you make it big time.. you can come on down here and shoot with us Texas boys.. Honestly, I was a new guy many moons ago and I had someone to show me the ropes. I have always appreciated that and try to help out anyone who wants to learn or shows interest in our chosen sport.

Good luck and you know how to get ahold of me if you have any questions..

CS

Edited by ChandlerSniper158

I use California 6-round caddies, but I got them used. I also have some 4-round Choates that I never got a chance to use before I grabbed the 6-rounders. If you want them, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can find them. If I still have them, they're brand new in bag.

I agree with Alamo...you lose money buying something cheap the first time and replacing it later. get the AP custom aluminum caddy's. they are expensive, but it will be a one time buy. thats how I look at all my gear. Buy the best the first time and save money buying better replacements in the future.

The AP custom 3x3 and 4x4 float to the top for that type of shell caddy. Can't beat the man mountain for straight 4 up.

Being what can be considered an old timer in the sport, I used choate and California Custom), did away with the springs and lined the insides with velcro loop.....held the shells more secure and they came out really easy. It also was a cool trick for securing 20ga too.

We just hold them straight up on the belt....strong and/or weak side and going to towards the front.

The news one just look so much better though and made oh so nice!!

I've never been a vest guy, but wow, people are loading fast off the vest too!!

Tim

I have used Choate 6 rounders and more recently an AP 4x4 and they have worked well for me. Choates will work for not much money, but there are better made caddies. I now have a mark otto load 2 vest and that will be getting the most use.

• 3 weeks later...