Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting CR Speed Versa Mag pouch?

sbpt1911

Hi all,

I just got my new Holster yestersday its a DAA RaceMasterbow.gif I just finished up this morning geting it positioned just right......I thinkwink.gif.

Anyway, I really love the belt hanger! It attaches to my CR Speed belt , super secure (clamp on) no movement what so ever! My Mag pouches are CR Speed Versa pouches, and now that I see the way the new holster attaces to the belt, I feel the CR speed mag pouches are a bit lacking. Has anyone performed a mod to attach the them more securely to the belt? Or am I destined to buy the RaceMaster magpouches sad.gif

ETA: I already have a piece of Velcro on the back side of each of the magpouches. This somewhat secures them when the outer belt is on the inner belt. But I would like them "clamped" on so they can slide around when I am not wearing it - When I go to put it one.

Edited by sbpt1911

Thers a mod you can make by tapping a screw in it to secure the pouch. Do a search for it, should find lots of info.

Thanks did a search here, but found nothingblink.gif . But, I did a search on Google, and found a post in another forum with a pic. It seems I could drill 2 holes through the top, and use 2 set set screws.

I cut a strip of velcro and placed it on the inside back portion of the mag pouch belt holder, then placed a thin piece of plastic over the velcro so I could slide the mag pouch over the outer belt and position it. Once in the right position, just pull out the plastic and the velcro sticks to the outer belt.

Well, I picked up some set screws - 1/4-20 x 3/8" long, and I just finished - drilled and tapped 2 holes through the bottom of the belt hanger. The set screws fit a little recessed than flush. No my mag pouches are locked on rock solidcheers.gif

Thanks guys!

Edited by sbpt1911

• 2 weeks later...

the versa pouches comes with special made wedges wich go between the pouch hanger and the belt, so you can secure them.

Particularly if you have one of the newer CR Speed belts from the last couple years, the wedges will be VERY tight. I needed a hammer to get them in all the way! (On my 2004-vintage belt they were still a bit loose.)

• 1 month later...

Well, I picked up some set screws - 1/4-20 x 3/8" long, and I just finished - drilled and tapped 2 holes through the bottom of the belt hanger. The set screws fit a little recessed than flush. No my mag pouches are locked on rock solidcheers.gif

Sorry to sound like a noob... but how do you drill and tap the set screws? Drilling is obvious... drill the hole... then what do you do to set the screws in place?

Sorry to sound like a noob... but how do you drill and tap the set screws? Drilling is obvious... drill the hole... then what do you do to set the screws in place?

The best place to see it in action is YouTube. Go there and look up "tap screw" or something like that. Here's one I found quick that explains a simple tap...

If you do not have access to a set of taps:

Measure the OD of the set screw to include the threads.

Find the drill bit that corresponds to that diameter.

Drill into the mag pouch enough that you get the full diameter of the bit and a MAX of 1/16" of depth at the outer diameter.

Drop the drill bit by 1/16" and use that bit to drill all the way through the pouch.

Now you have a hole that is slightly tapered at the top which will match with the set screws threads.

Screw the set screw in until it just passes through the mag pouch, and then back it out a bit.

Slide the pouch onto your belt, and once positioned tighten the set screw down enough to snug onto the belt.

Do not over tighten the set screw because it is possible to strip the hole being as the pouch is plastic and the set screw is steel.

With access to a set of taps you just drill the smaller hole and run the tap through to cut the threads.

• 2 weeks later...

the versa pouches comes with special made wedges wich go between the pouch hanger and the belt, so you can secure them.

I just got mine for my Glock, what does the wedges looks like? Coz yes the pouches moves freely in the belt, I want them to be secured. TIA :)

I got the bright Idea of using fine threaded set screws, I think the coarse threaded ones will work better in plastic, fyi.

I just drilled a slightly undersized hole, then without tapping anything started the setscrews. They basically form the plastic into the matching thread. I DID use the wedges as well. I got the pointiest set screws I could find so that they dig into the wedge a bit and press the wedge against the belt instead of the set screw itself digging into your belt. This set up has worked flawlessly for the last 5 or so matches, very secure, but doesn't harm the belt at all. You can sill easily loosen up the set screws and adjust the pouch if need be. I also have the Velcro on the inside of the belt loop, to help keep it really locked to the inner belt.

I have found I like the CR Speed pouches best because of the big cut out on the front. It really helps me consistently index the mag right near the end of it for the fastest reloads. Only complaint I have about them is that with my new style SV mags, there really only seems to be about 1/8" or so of contact surface holding the mag in your belt. And on a few instances when running on a stage, I have had a heavy full 20rd mag fall out of the pouch, which really screws up your stage planning... Anyone find a solution to that one? I have though about making a new plastic insert that extends up a little higher and eliminates the big chamfer on the upper edge.