Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im sick of crappy cleaning equipment

SERVED_USMC

I finally broke my last Walmart special cleaning rods. Ive observed a few things along the way. A 1 piece rod is the way to go. Metal on metal is a no go, so it needs to be coated. It also has to be strong enough to handle the force needed to feed a jag and a patch down the bore. Lastly, I dont know where the hell to start looking for something else.

I checked brownells for a 26''-30'' coated rod, and everything is on backorder. Midway is about the same. I know that Otis has that fancy patch setup and seems pretty effective when used in conjunction with their bore snake like wire cleaning "rod". I need to order something tonight, but am not settled on any one thing. I dont need to worry about it being compact, as it wont leave the bench. I just need something that wont break, and is easy to get enough leverage to get a jag and a patch through.

So what does everyone use, and based on that, what would you recommend? Any help would be fantastic.

Hoppe's Boresnake - best dang thing going for cleaning rifles.

Still use a short cleaning rod with a mop on the chamber and bore on pistols, though.

Edited by Bamboo

Hoppe's Boresnake - best dang thing going for cleaning rifles.

Still use a short cleaning rod with a mop on the chamber and bore on pistols, though.

If I remember correctly. These have a built in chamber brush on one end, right? The pistol side is easy enough. I can get a 10" 1 piece rod from Cabelas and not have to worry about it. Pistols are a lot easier on equipment that the rifles. I should just go to the local shop tomorrow and pick a few up. Would probably save me a headache and be an easier solution that rods and all the attachments I may need. I try not to over analyze simple things like this.

For something other than boresnakes I have a 36" carbon fiber rod with a roller handle from I think tipton? I dont like boresnakes for removing copper, prefer pushing patches.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/165130/tipton-deluxe-1-piece-cleaning-rod-27-to-45-caliber-36-carbon-fiber-8-x-32-thread?cm_vc=S014342014

I'm currently using a brass cleaning rod that is multiple pieces. I find that all cleaning rods are hard to push a jag through the bore, but I really like how a tight fitting jag and patch gets all the crap out of the bore (although I admit that I don't clean my pistols that much).

I'm starting to think that a good patch puller of some kind might be easier to use than even a single piece rod (thus why the boresnake works so well).

I use Dewey rods for my rifles, and barely clean the barrels of my pistols :goof: even my match guns' barrels only get a few swipes with a bore brush and a couple of passes with patches. the pistols are both way more accurate than I'll ever be. Check out the excellent article off of Schuemann barrels website (both my Limited and Open guns have Schuemann Classics)

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

I use Dewey rods for my rifles, and barely clean the barrels of my pistols :goof: even my match guns' barrels only get a few swipes with a bore brush and a couple of passes with patches. the pistols are both way more accurate than I'll ever be. Check out the excellent article off of Schuemann barrels website (both my Limited and Open guns have Schuemann Classics)

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=3zZ4oir3t50%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

I rarely clean the barrels on any of my stuff, other than a quick bore mopping after every session. I got a new JP barrel assembly and am attempting to clean it based on their break in procedure. So I need something that can work for me. All of these guns and I am without a decent cleaning rod. Priorities anyone? LOL

I have used Dewey's for years, but the last rod I bought was a Pro Shot, since they had the length I wanted in stock. I was hesitant about using a steel rod, but after some research and finding that bench rest shooters used them, I decided to try one. I really like it.

Pro Shot

Edited by 21 shooter

If your dead set on a cleaning rod I saw that midway has a sale on these:

Tipton Deluxe 1-Piece Cleaning Rod 27 to 45 Caliber 12" Carbon Fiber 8 x 32 Thread

What I always use is either a bore snake or Otis cable (i don't know what it's called but... It's this clear rubber coated cable that you can attach any accessory to)

I have bent a few Deweys trying to force a patch through that I shouldn't have. I have used a Tipton carbon fiber rod for years now and abused it pretty badly, but it won't bend.

I have bent a few Deweys trying to force a patch through that I shouldn't have. I have used a Tipton carbon fiber rod for years now and abused it pretty badly, but it won't bend.

I ordered a carbon fiber Tipton yesterday, and am going to pick up a bore snake in a little bit and give it a try also. I need to come across one of the range bag sized Otis kits also. Once I pick up a few things I will decide which one is best suited for me. Thanks for all the help. :cheers:

Its a good rod. I've used it smack some factory loaded 308 brass out of my savage that was loaded a weeeeee bit hot, and it doesn't flex. The roller handle is really smooth too. My only complaint.... is I wish it fit in my range bag <_<

I was thinking the same thing,but I have my issues with 2 piece rods. I do carry a USGI cleaning kit in the range bag. They are about the sturdiest and cheapest option Ive found when it comes to a squib/cleaning rod.

Hello,

I use the standard Al rod that comes in most kits and then I put a piece of heat shrink tubing around the rod and heat to shrink in place. Has stayed in place now for a couple of years with out issues. No metal on metal scraping of the barrel or problems if you drag the rod over the finish.

Edited by Kuro

Just got my Tipton carbon fiber 1-piece in the mail. This thing is SAWEET! Thanks for all of the advice. I still need to pick up a few more things to help build my new and improved quality cleaning kit. Thanks again!

:cheers:

Thanks for the article, I will take that to heart. I was always of the mind that after and outing of when shooting lead bullets, I would shoot a few jacketed bullets to "clean" the barrel out.