Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who would you purchase a custom Shadow from

JoseyWalesX

I had two Matt Mink SP-01's and a Shadow. All three were very smooth and crisp. I still shoot the Shadow and have one SP-01 left. Sold the other. The only other thing I had done was have the throat reamed for longer ammo.

Edited by oddjob

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric, the lead Gunsmith at CZ-C built and is the only person who has touched my 09' Shadow Custom SAO. In for service last fall for Aussie barrel fit and R.S. Fat Safety. Quickly they discovered the safety they thought they had in stock--not in stock. Eric Hand Made one(instead of their jobber), also while the gun was there he and Rob decided they didn't like the way the coating was wearing on my Shadow. They Re-coated my gun. No extra charge for the safety and no charge for the coating . I bought the gun from them 3 years ago. That's service after the sale.

I ordered the gun with the "short straight black trigger" and have never regreted it. If you don't shoot in one of the compitition games and are required to have a SA/DA trigger, Try the SAO trigger it takes all the SA/DA drama off the table. Because there's no FPB in the Shadow---it's screaming for the SAO trigger. That Shadow, that trigger will put most 1911's in the safe?

Edited by david s

What is the big deal about reaming out the barrel to load longer ammo? Why not just run shorter loads, you need less powder.

My SP01 Shadow couldn't run factory Federal 147gr ammo, the throat was pretty short and the ogive was hitting the rifling. I think that factory Fed 147gr was in the 1.090" range (not near my notes right now). Not that I really wanted to run factory ammo, but I couldn't really develop a safe load for heavier bullets before I reamed the throat.

What is the big deal about reaming out the barrel to load longer ammo? Why not just run shorter loads, you need less powder.

My SP01 Shadow couldn't run factory Federal 147gr ammo, the throat was pretty short and the ogive was hitting the rifling. I think that factory Fed 147gr was in the 1.090" range (not near my notes right now). Not that I really wanted to run factory ammo, but I couldn't really develop a safe load for heavier bullets before I reamed the throat.

Strange, my buddy gave me some of his 147 gr CMJ loads from MG loaded out to 1.15 and they fired just fine in my unreamed shadow barrel.

I reamed mine to share my 9mm loads with my 1911. The 147 Montanas did have a good profile and ran long fine, but my lead/moly and 124 jhps wouldnt run at that length and some had to be well under 1.09 to run.

I reamed mine to share my 9mm loads with my 1911. The 147 Montanas did have a good profile and ran long fine, but my lead/moly and 124 jhps wouldnt run at that length and some had to be well under 1.09 to run.

I run 124 MG JHP's at 1.10 in my unreamed shadow no problem.

Strange, my buddy gave me some of his 147 gr CMJ loads from MG loaded out to 1.15 and they fired just fine in my unreamed shadow barrel.

I run 1.150" OAL with 124gr FMJ/CMJ RN and they feed fine in ALL of my many 9mm CZs.

I run 124 MG JHP's at 1.10 in my unreamed shadow no problem.

Cool. I don't load mine that short, which is why I reamed the barrel.

I bought a used Angus custom. I was very happy with it except:

Non Adjustable sights, who ever does it get adjustable sights.

The double action trigger, pull is too long.

I took care of the non adjustable sights by working my load till it hit POA.

I'm using the Cajun Gun Works short disconnect and the 8.5# main spring, extended firing pin, reduced firing pin spring. This gives the gun a much shorter double action pull, to me this makes that first shot much faster. The single action pull is <2# it is even lighter than my STI open guns.

CGW says federal primers only, well I've been running winchester SPP with 100% ignition. Federal of course do have an extra margin of softness but the Win work just find.

My OAL is 1.145 no need to load short, I do happen to own a Manson 9mm Head Space Reamer, but I didn't ream this one, yet. I've shot 147gr MTG's out of it load 1.165 no issues.

Non Adjustable sights, who ever does it get adjustable sights.

Personal choice. I despise adjustable sights, and will not run them on anything that I care about. I've had two adjustable sights fail on me during matches, and have seen the same happen to others.

It is simple enough to determine the front sight height you need for your load, and it's not hard to drift the rear to set windage.

CZ should sponsor Magnolia RPC. I think between Matt, Cliff and me we sold about 5 more shadows this weekend. I think your going to be really happy with Matt's work.

I think I will too, went with the small safeties like yours. The grip feels a little too small for me causing me to choke up on the trigger after the first double action shot, gonna need some thicker grip panels I think.

Lots of folks drinking the CZ Kool-Aid at Magnolia. I'm sure JoseyWalesX will like it.

LOL, I am already taking flak from the switch

I've purchase a CZ CTS from CZCustom and have never had any issues with them. They've ALWAYS stayed on the phone and answered any questions I may have had.

I actually just spoke to them the other day about a Czechmate :cheers:

I've left messages before and they've always returned my calls within a day or two. I think anywhere you purchase one you're going to be happy with it, come on now, its a CZ :devil:

I have purchased 2 CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Customs from CZ Custom and a CZ 75 CTS LS SAO. I have been very happy with all 3 of them. I have also had the Custom shop do their "Competition Trigger Job" on all 3 of them. Yes, there is a difference from the "stock custom" trigger. As this is a competition oriented forum we assume everybody purchasing these is using them for competition. This isn't always the case. I would hate to see some new to shooting local guy walk in and purchase something with a 2 lb trigger and use it as a carry gun. :surprise: Hence the "Competition Trigger" option. If CZ Custom didn't already take such good care of me eerw would be next on my list of the builders you listed. :cheers:

In my humble opinion, buy a stock Shadow,do not even consider anyone else and send it to Stuart. About the same overall cost as getting a czcustom version, but you will get a DA in the low 4# range and a SA that is better than 90% of the open guns. He is the best in the business, period. I love Angus, but hard to compare "factory" to custom.

I finally got o handle an Akai Shadow this weekend and was very impressed. I could also tell the DA stroke was a little shorter, but i don't think it was enough to make a huge difference. The work was right on par with Matt's. I actually got to compare the Akai, Matt Mink, CZ Custom and my own work side by side. The only one I could tell a distinct difference in was the CZ custom because it was rough compared to the other 3. I wish I could get my hands on one Angus has done himself.

Would love to handle an Akai Shadow. Have heard so many good things about Shay's work.

also just a note. CZ Custom has two levels of trigger work. So when comparing the CZC trigger double check what level trigger job it is.

Would love to handle an Akai Shadow. Have heard so many good things about Shay's work.

also just a note. CZ Custom has two levels of trigger work. So when comparing the CZC trigger double check what level trigger job it is.

That's a good point. I know he had additional work done, but I didn't verify the level. He's a pretty renown shooter so I guess I just assumed it was the competition job. The trigger weight was reduced in both da and SA. We did talk about the trigger work a bit but I never thought to ask I'm if that's how he wanted the trigger.

• 1 month later...