Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder suggestions for 200 gr LSWX

jn618

I have just recently started to reload the Bayou 200 gr LSWC. I have never loaded LSWC before and was curious as to what some of the more popular powders are used for lead and what their strengths/weaknesses are. I have currently been using 700x, but I am going to run out soon. What powders would you suggest for major power factor in USPSA. These will be shot out of my 5" Spartan when it arrives soon :D

Thanks for the input,

John H. Nelson

4.8gr of WST makes about 168-170 PF, IIRC. This load has served me well for the past 2 yrs.

WST 4.7 for me set at 1.260 but for a bit less recoil I recommend 4.3gr of Clays both about 170pf out of a 5" gun.

I have just recently started to reload the Bayou 200 gr LSWC. I have never loaded LSWC before and was curious as to what some of the more popular powders are used for lead and what their strengths/weaknesses are. I have currently been using 700x, but I am going to run out soon. What powders would you suggest for major power factor in USPSA. These will be shot out of my 5" Spartan when it arrives soon :D

Thanks for the input,

John H. Nelson

I found 700X to be a bit too dirty for me, WST works great with lead/coated/jacketed/plated bullets in many pistol calibers. I use 4.9gr WST with 200gr LSWC bullets from Missouri, at 1.250 OAL

clays is really good. best accuracy i have had is with what you already got. 700-x. 5.2gn at 1.245 (set oal off of ogive). dont know if it is making major but the book recommends.

I've always used 231. 5.8 gr with a 200 gr LSWC makes PF in my guns.

Clays. (Not Universal or International Clays - just Clays) I use 4.2 grains under Missouri Bullets 200 gr. LSWC. Accurate, makes major, controllable.

This is my exact load I've been loading for 4-5 years now. Never felt a need to go anywhere else for my .45.

I've run a light paper-punching load with a little over 5 gr of 231 under BB 200 gr SWC. Very accurate and a piece of cake to shoot. For major, you'd have to step up to mid-upper 5s, depending on your gun.

Edited by FLSlim

I'm going to be the oddball. I prefer Titegroup, 4.9gr at 1.25 OAL with a crimp of .469. I still have an 8lb jug of Clays from shotgun loading, but after trying both back-to-back, I prefer the recoil impulse of TG to Clays, and the smoke difference was not very noticeable to me.