Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for N320 9mm Minor Load

mioduz

I loaded some 147gr 9mm with N320 a few years back (to actually be used with a 9mm carbine). I started shooting production a few months back and found the load to work well in my gun (M&P Pro). But I am comming down to the bottom of my ammo can so I need to look into a new load. VV N320 is not available around me and I dont feel like paying the hazmat fee for a pound of powder. What is a good powder to replace it with?

Edited by mioduz

I loaded some 147gr 9mm with N320 a few years back (to actually be used with a 9mm carbine). I started shooting production a few months back and found the load to work well in my gun (M&P Pro). But I am comming down to the bottom of my ammo can so I need to look into a new load. VV N320 is not available around me and I dont feel like paying the hazmat fee for a pound of powder. What is a good powder to replace it with?

WSF, WST, Solo1000.

vv N320 is some great stuff. Its so clean burning, consistant, and just a wonderful powder. I had the same problem and ended up switching to AA#2. Its not as clean burning, but alot cleaner than some of the other powders I messed with. Its consistant, and I've had very good results from it in the accuracy department.

N330? :D

I used AA#2 for years under a 147 gr plated or jacketed. Loved it. Low flash (low light work) and soft shooting. One thing to watch.....temp sensitive. Hot weather and PF will drop like a rock.

Garry N

I have found switching to Titegroup was the nest across 38Super (Minor), 9mm, 38Special and 40S&W. I don't normally recommend using one powder for lots of calibres unless you really really have to. N320 is much cleaner than TG but for the difference in costs and especially in my 38Super the accuracy I am getting is more than made up for the extra time to remove some powder residue.

But what ever you choose Doug's idea of getting lots is wise, and gets lots more than you think you need.

I use plain old Bullseye. The powder of champions from years past. There is data on the use of Bullseye in the Alliant 2005 manual for virtually every caliber and bullet weight. It works very well in 9mm with 147 gr. jacketed bullets at ca 900 fps.