Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am wondering how others secure their weapon in their home so it is safe and secure, but available if the inevitable happens and it is required in a hurry?

I have a 4 button safe (S&W) that will easily hold my M&P and a flashlight, and spare mag. It has the plate that can be screwed down to the wall or the floor (the screw heads will be covered and non accessible.

Are small safes such as this adequate? We have no children. But I do not want to just keep my handgun thrown in a nightstand drawer. What is your preference?

Thanks

I keep my .45 directly under my pillow, so it's ready at a moments notice. [note: no kids either] I don't want to have to remember that 4-button combination in the dark, and under duress. I also don't really worry about my home-defense gun being stolen. If it is, it will only be while I'm away from home. So I'm not in any danger. And I can always buy another one.

If money is tight look into getting it added to your homeowners policy. It generally costs pennies on the dollar to insure, and my policy at least, has no deductible for a rider. If you rent, check you renters policy. Often times firearms are covered, up to a certain dollar amount, but of course you would be on the hook for the deductible, which in the case of an M&P would be just about equal to or more than, so you might not benefit there.

You could always consider getting a cheaper home-defense gun, to keep out of a safe. I use a Taurus Millenium .45 that holds 10+1 rds. of 45 HPs, and has a tacticle flashlight on the rail. But all together, I don't think I have even $400 in it (including the ammo) so I don't care if it gets stolen. I'll buy another.

But yes, I think your idea of the safe is a good one. It would certainly slow someone down, if they were trying to take it.

For the record I have a small safe like this one here but I only use it whenever I have small kids around. I like the quick access, and the relative security, but the older I get the more likely I am to forget the combo.

Heck, I have trouble on the rare occasion when I have to log into my email from a remote computer, remembering my password, because my laptop, tablet, and cell phone, all have it stored ..... so if it's something I haven't used in a while, I'm less than likely to remember it. That's how I feel about those push-button safes. How often do you practice getting into it in the dark, under stress?

I think the night stand is just barely close enough.

use a stop watch. Time how long it takes you to walk slowly to the entry door. now time how long it takes you get out of bed and get your kit. :blink:

Try it in the dark, while sleeping after setting a random alarm set to wake you up. I vote for the nightstand or closer.

Also recommend having the phone and the remote for your car alarm nearby.

I like the Gunvault.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-MV500-STD-Microvault-Pistol-Safe/dp/B000TG9RCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330809233&sr=8-1

Wake up and close the top. Go to work. Come back. Relax. Get ready for bed. Brush toofs. Open vault. Bingo. Little worry about the combination if you use it daily and no worries about having to remember the combination under stress as the vault is open all night.

And before anyone says "Yeah but if the safe is open the bad guy can sneak up on you and steal your gun!" I have a 110lb Rottie that sleeps between the wife and I and he's kinda paticular about momma. :D

No kids. I have my G17 in a serpa holster on a surface mount mounted to the side of my night stand. In addition to that there are a few shotguns staged throughout the house. The AR is in the safe with mags at the ready. Now we sit and wait for Canada to invade...

From pocket onto night stand, which will at least get me to small "top button" safe...

BUT, just yesterday I went to open the little bugger and it won't open! Correct sequence but it isn't releasing the latch! Once I get this thing open I'll be seeking another brand I'm thinking. My initial reaction was to slam it forcefully to the ground...them brain kicked in and yelled STOP!

I also recommend locking your bedroom door at night.

While we're at it ..... I recommend keeping your car keys, cell phone, and wallet/purse (along with any carry guns) in the bedroom with you when you're sleeping.

I know a guy that used to keep his car keys & wallet on the kitchen counter at night, cause that's where he put them when he came in the door after work. Well someone broke in while he was sleeping, and while they didn't steal too much other stuff, they did swipe his keys & wallet.

Just imagine ..... now they not only have access to his identity, credit cards, and money ..... they have keys to his HOUSE & CARS!!!!!

Just something to think about ........

While we're at it ..... I recommend keeping your car keys, cell phone, and wallet/purse (along with any carry guns) in the bedroom with you when you're sleeping.

I know a guy that used to keep his car keys & wallet on the kitchen counter at night, cause that's where he put them when he came in the door after work. Well someone broke in while he was sleeping, and while they didn't steal too much other stuff, they did swipe his keys & wallet.

Just imagine ..... now they not only have access to his identity, credit cards, and money ..... they have keys to his HOUSE & CARS!!!!!

Just something to think about ........

Good stuff Chris, and I'll add another tidbit of information. For those of you with a GPS....please make sure that "HOME" isn't really your home address....if they break into your car and take your GPS and garage door opener, they can have their way with your stuff, before you even know it was taken...

For those of you with a GPS....please make sure that "HOME" isn't really your home address....if they break into your car and take your GPS and garage door opener, they can have their way with your stuff, before you even know it was taken...

Good idea. I had not thought about that.

The local Chief of Police lives a couple blocks away. I think I'll use his address.

Bill

As for "Home" on the GPS, I always use the closest fire or police station to my house. Also remember to not leave papers in your car with your address on them, things like car insurance card, vehicle registration and the like.

Edited by jdphotoguy

... Also remember to not leave papers in your car with your address on them, things like car insurance card, vehicle registration and the like.

Do you remove these documents from the glovebox every time you exit the car? I'm a bit confused on the practicality of this one, since I need those documents any time I'm operating the vehicle ...

-- John.

... Also remember to not leave papers in your car with your address on them, things like car insurance card, vehicle registration and the like.

Do you remove these documents from the glovebox every time you exit the car? I'm a bit confused on the practicality of this one, since I need those documents any time I'm operating the vehicle ...

-- John.

Most Europeans I know carry these documents on their person -- and don't leave them in their vehicle. DMV will issue you duplicate registrations, and insurance companies will either provide or let you print duplicate cards, if you have multiple drivers sharing or rotating vehicles in your household.....

For those of you with a GPS....please make sure that "HOME" isn't really your home address....if they break into your car and take your GPS and garage door opener, they can have their way with your stuff, before you even know it was taken...

Good idea. I had not thought about that.

The local Chief of Police lives a couple blocks away. I think I'll use his address.

Bill

One of the things to consider here, if you have an attached garage -- is to treat the door between garage and house the same way that you treat the front and back door. Yep, I know that unlocking a deadbolt and doorlock are inconvenient, but it does provide an added layer of protection for the house....

My neighbor has the ultimate security system. It is layered. First a perimeter alarm system. Second a 42 caliber ( tooth ) Dog. Third a number of Gunvault safes around the house. Fourth he is always carrying. And finally some game cams outside the house.

Layering is a good thing.

Cameras - a couple obvious the rest not (cameras are cheap nowadays and have pretty good resolution), impact resistant doors and windows (hurricane impact windows/doors are almost impossible to break into if they are installed correctly and are actually bulletproof to a point), quality locks that resist bumping (and use them!!), motion sensing lights/alarm inside and out, keeping a low profile, oh...and a handy 12ga is a hard combo to beat.

To answer the OP's question - I have youn'uns and keep all firearms secured. The loaded ones are in gunvaults. Been using them for years and as long as the batteries are changed once a year they work quick and reliably.

May none of us ever have to put this stuff to use.

Edited by Bamboo

105 lb German Shepherd (and the 35 lb cocker spaniel) and 12 rnd .45 with light, followed by a 16" AR with 62 Gr Soft Points and Surefire Light attached.

And before you all jump all over me about over penetration, I am the only one here AND I have personally done the ballistic testing with a .223. It penetrates less than 12ga Buckshot.

I keep everything I am not willing to part with in the room I'm in. Keys, etc.

I also have my cell and regular phone in the bedroom so I can call the working police to come get the burglar's dead body.

I simply secure all firearms I'm not taking with me in my main safe before I leave in the morning and get them out when I return.