Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib question?

Ian_

Is it possible to have a squib and have the slide cycle? or will you always have to manually eject the empty casing as the second tell (the first being the bloop sound)?

Very best,

ian

It may depend on your definition of "squib".

I would imagine that if the load has enough

power to cycle the slide, the bullet would

be pushed out of the barrel???

And, to me, that's not a squib ... Not

enough powder to cycle the slide or push the

bullet out of the barrel. That's MY squib.

I may be wrong - but I can't imagine a squib

can cycle the slide and leave a bullet in the

barrel ....

I stand to be corrected:(

Jack

YES!

My friend ruined the barrel on a new XDm Comp .40 that way. He was getting progressively smaller powder charges using a Lee press. He did not realize it had happen until he was cleaning the gun later and found the barrel bulged. Looked like a snake that ate a rat!

Is it possible to have a squib and have the slide cycle? or will you always have to manually eject the empty casing as the second tell (the first being the bloop sound)?

Very best,

ian

Yes, it happened to me the firsy year I started shooting bullseye. I was lucky the person next to me noticed the sound (I did not) and stopped me from fireing the next shot. I did not notice any difference when the shoot was fired. The bullet was about 2 inches in the barrel and the nexted round chambered.

Canthit

As long as I stay away from the bottom of the scale powder wise, I should be pretty safe from squibs right? Squibs are the only thing that worry me about getting into reloading. When shooting competition I don't even hear my rounds I'm so tunneled into shot placement.

As long as I stay away from the bottom of the scale powder wise, I should be pretty safe from squibs right? Squibs are the only thing that worry me about getting into reloading. When shooting competition I don't even hear my rounds I'm so tunneled into shot placement.

I would say it's more about paying attention. I think most squibs are from just a complete lack of powder. If you have a progressive BE SURE NOT TO SHORT STROKE IT. I've seen one that had contaminated powder too, when the guy drove the bullet out there was powder stuck to the base and and some flakes were coming out of the barrel.

Yeah, usually you lose track of what you are doing while reloading and forget to verify powder level. That's why when you reload, lock yourself away, turn off everything including your phone and just concentrate on your task.

Here is a good thread on some others experience with squibs:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112418&st=0&p=1276393&hl=+squib%20+eject&fromsearch=1entry1276393

What boz1911 reports in the previously linked thread is my only "hands on" experience with it as well-- and with WWB, no less.

I was actually on shot 3 or 4 of a Bill Drill, and noticed the difference in the charge-- the front post moved straight back and straight forward, with no lift or flip at all. I immediately stopped, despite being in the midst of sub-.2 splits, and checked the barrel.

Prior to that, I always feared that I'd be blazing away and run into the squib that chambers a fresh round behind it. Now, I'm not the least bit concerned that I'll miss it-- especially since I'm that much more in tune with what's going on with my front sight!

Edited by Sin-ster

I'd actually thought about maybe trying to intentionally load something light enough to cause a squib just so I knew what it felt like. Then fire them at the range under controlled 'one at a time, then check the barrel' type of setup. I don't plan to reload on anything I can't use a powder check die on, and then my soul purpose in life will be to watch that die and check OAL when I'm done.

Is it possible to have a squib and have the slide cycle?

Ian, my squibs have all occured and the slide did NOT cycle,

but since I was shooting rapidly, I cycled the slide automatically

to "clear the jam" and keep shooting rapidly.

Fortunately, both times, the bullet was near the chamber and did not

allow the live round to fully chamber, or I would have pulled

the trigger :((

Now I know what it looks and feels like - so I'm more careful in

shooting rapidly and in reloading.

Jack

I've had a grand total of 2 squibs. Being new to pistol, I'm just trying to be a little extra safe. Not sure how it will work in competition, but if I get a failure to cycle, I will be doing a barrel check, safe keeps me typing with two hands!

Very best,

Ian

I had some squibs with both a Lee Turret Press and a SDB. I sold the SDB and I am getting a Hornady 5 station press. An SO at a recent match had a Squib, failed to act on the "difference" and ruined the barrel of $1500 gun. He loads an a SDB.

Anyway, I am also going to use the RCBS Lock-Out Die which I ordered with the press:

http://ultimatereloader.com/2010/09/19/rcbs-lock-out-die-part-i-theory-of-operation/

While using it won't excuse inattentiveness, It will help to prevent re-loading maladies that can arise when rolling your own.

Edited by hmp32

That lock out is pretty cool! I buy supplies from a commercial reloader and his machines have similar. I'll have to read more on it. I know where my squibs came from, Winchester brass with sticky primers! Sometimes takes me 3 or 4 or more passes in the deprime to get the factory primers out. Which means I have to pull shells out and get out of sequence (Dillon 550b) and then when it all gets going again I'm not paying enough attention. All my fault, time to pay better attention! I have seen folks that mount a small flash light to shine right in the shell so that powder level is very visible, may do that. I also use a high volume powder, so more evidence I'm to blame. Appreciate all the feedback, not sure if I'm more at ease or freaked out!

Very best,

Ian

I'd actually thought about maybe trying to intentionally load something light enough to cause a squib just so I knew what it felt like. Then fire them at the range under controlled 'one at a time, then check the barrel' type of setup.

I have done this. It is good to know what a squib feels like in your gun.

when I first started loading on my 550 years ago I had that happen to me. was loading rifle rounds on a single stage prior to that. had a squib, either no or low powder charge.

bullet lodged in the barrel, slide cycled and fired another round which then bulged the barrel. lucky I didnt blow up the gun or any body parts. was having priming issues with the 550 and I failed to double check the powder charge

you load them too heavy, the gun explodes, you load them too light, you get a squib, and the next round makes the gun explode :unsure: maybe I should stick to factory ammo. lol I'm starting to scare myself away from reloading. At least with shooting factory loads, I can maybe get the ammo company to pay for some medical bills if I need them from a KB. I'm not really able to do that if I load my own. On the other hand there are people hand loading 100's of millions of rounds a year without anymore incidents than really anything else so it's probably fine as long as I pay attention.

Do you get in a car everyday? Percentage wise that's a lot more dangerous...

Just focus and take your time... Stick to whatver pace you are comfortable with...

The more you reload the more comfortable you will be... Just be careful that comfortable never turns into careless.