Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the deal with sponsorships?

I see alot of shooters that have one form or another of sponsorship when I go to the matches. While I assume that all sponsorships are not created equal, does anyone care to explain how these work/are formed etc?

Not everyone that wears a nice Techwear shirt gets a "sponsorship"

Most folks pay to wear Techwear shirts, they are nice but not cheap. Which is not a bad thing. You find out fairly quickly who is sponsored and who isn't. Most shooters wear a shirt supporting a company that they appreciate. Some wear shirts due to contingency programs, which are great programs. Some just want to belong....

No Free Lunch, I think 90% of what you see is just the shooter saying thanks for the -discount-

When someone goes extra distance to help you, its good to say thanks.

for instance Triangle Shooting Sports is on the back of my shirts and always will be, Benny Hill has fixed my Bacon many times after I dropped it in the dirt.

Edited by AlamoShooter

There are a couple schools of thought on this subject. I have worked in a field that sponsered people for making a hobby into a full time job. You can get a sponser a number of ways, such as.

1. You win matches all the time like Taran and Daniel Horner; and because you win, people want what you use because you win, because they want to win too.

2. You are pretty good, like top 10 or so, but you really take the time to promote the products you really believe in, help other shooters all the time, and only back really high quality products. Help junior shooters, kiss babies etc. Kurt Miller might be a good example of such a person, or Chuck Anderson.

3. You know someone who works in the industry, and they help you get in with that company.

4. You are a good looking lady shooter and willing to "please" your sponsers.

5. Someone is making a new product or company and they need someone to help develope and test that product.

6. You just get lucky, personally I would rather be lucky than good.

Mainly think of it as a business relationship, you help them make money, so they spend a little money on you.

it's hard to detect humor or sarcasm over the internet..

That excuse never works for me here.roflol.gif

I think it is quite clear what he meant by "pleasing" her sponsors! I won't elaborate further as I am one of those hoping to get picked up by a sponsor.devil.gif

ditto benny's comment, but being a top shooter isn't the most important. you need to be cordial, supportive, friendly, informative, helpful, and good personality first. you can be a good shooter but if the other stuff isn't there, you won't make the grade. there are plenty of good shooters that have shy personalities, or keep to themselves, do not openly support the sport or manufacturers, and they are without support themselves.

Trapr

ditto benny's comment, but being a top shooter isn't the most important. you need to be cordial, supportive, friendly, informative, helpful, and good personality first. you can be a good shooter but if the other stuff isn't there, you won't make the grade. there are plenty of good shooters that have shy personalities, or keep to themselves, do not openly support the sport or manufacturers, and they are without support themselves.

Trapr

Dang it. All this time I though TOP shooter meant totally obnoxious prick. I've been doing my best, no wonder manufacturers aren't showering me with cash.

As far as I can think of, there are only two top level tac optics shooters that are completely 100% unsponsored.

One guy from the Midwest and one guy from the Northwest.

Both are unsponsored by choice. It's not because they are pricks, anti-social, unfriendly, etc.

As far as I can think of, there are only two top level tac optics shooters that are completely 100% unsponsored.

Both are unsponsored by choice. It's not because they are pricks, anti-social, unfriendly, etc.

And who would that Midwest guy be???? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! :roflol:

There are a couple schools of thought on this subject. I have worked in a field that sponsered people for making a hobby into a full time job. You can get a sponser a number of ways, such as.

1. You win matches all the time like Taran and Daniel Horner; and because you win, people want what you use because you win, because they want to win too.

2. You are pretty good, like top 10 or so, but you really take the time to promote the products you really believe in, help other shooters all the time, and only back really high quality products. Help junior shooters, kiss babies etc. Kurt Miller might be a good example of such a person, or Chuck Anderson.

3. You know someone who works in the industry, and they help you get in with that company.

4. You are a good looking lady shooter and willing to "please" your sponsers.

5. Someone is making a new product or company and they need someone to help develope and test that product.

6. You just get lucky, personally I would rather be lucky than good.

Mainly think of it as a business relationship, you help them make money, so they spend a little money on you.

This pretty much sums it up. Being a junior or lady shooter makes it prett easy to attract companies that are willing to help simply because their are not many of them in the sport. What company wouldn't want to try to get more ladies and juniors involved?

Rich guys dont need sponsors!

And who would that Midwest guy be???? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! :roflol:

Can't be that chad guy, he's a pr........ Umm. Can't be him. :cheers: