Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FGW 5.5

want2race

Here it is. The 5.5" 2011 from Bobby at Freedom Gunworks.

Like a 'Lil Debbie, this thing is full of goodness! Infinity barrel and rear sight, Extreme Engineering hammer/sear/disconnect kit, Aluminum grip and the right weight balance to feel like my 1911. A 2011 that feels like my 1911 is a Unicorn I've been chasing for a while.

This is the first Infinity rear sight I've had my hands on. I like it. VERY low in the slide. Clean look.

The Aluminum grip is hard anodized dark grey and covered in Dawson grip tape.

SS main spring housing and SS STI magwell help anchor the gun in the hand and help with the balance. Plus, the STI magwell is not too big as to interfere with my grip on the gun.

The Infinity barrel is spiral fluted and can be seen under the slide lightening. Ah yes, the lightening cuts. I asked and Bobby delivered. They are a little different than usual. I had an idea, drew it up, described it on the phone and he knocked it out of the park.

The finish is a traditional salt bath hot blue over a matte finish with blasted SS bits. This is just temporary until it's broken in, then it will be sent back for a PVD finish.

2012-02-18_22-39-37_572.jpg

2012-02-18_22-41-39_561.jpg

2012-02-18_22-41-01_849.jpg

These are cell phone pics. There looks to be a gap at the grip safety/frame junction, it's not a gap it's just the way the frame is blended. The grip safety tang is narrowed significantly for my big hog knuckle and then blended into the frame.

I really like the ball cuts on the frame too. They are DEEP, and he used a small diameter ball end mill. The two cuts have perfect spacing between the top and bottom of the dust cover. I'm into little details. Things that many might overlook. Small chamfers on edges, even spacing on cuts, sharp corners on the tri-top, etc.

It was 37.60 oz before I added my aluminum frame. It should be 39.5oz now, which is exactly what my SS is with an empty mag. The SS MSH and magwell add a bunch of weight, but that's why I wanted them. It adds weight in the bottom of the hand.

That is a great looking pistol for sure! :cheers: I changed my current build to a 5.4" Sight Tracker.

If I were building a new limited gun it would be a Sight Tracker. It would probably be a 6" but I love the look of this 5.4".

Very cool. I've been shooting a long dust cover 6" for a few years now. My plan for 2013 was to convert to a sight-tracker and I've thought about a 5.5". Now that I've seen one I think I'm set on it.

I tried out a sight tracker and couldn't really see any difference. I like the idea but those barrels sure are heavy. Plus, I wanted a spiral fluted barrel and that would be tough with a rib.

I finally had to put this one down. For a flight out of town. Thought very seriously about taking it. Lol

Edited by want2race

I was away on vacation before I could shoot it. Now I'm back, and I was quick to get to the range. It was just a quick 30 round shake down to make sure it liked my ammo.

Initial reaction: I thought I was shooting minor. It weighs the same as my single stack but flips much less. It is a flat shooting gun that points very very well. I'm extremely picky about feel, balance, controls, trigger, sight picture etc. The funny part is, this is not the exact combination of parts I would have chosen for myself.

I can't wait to start dumping more rounds through this thing.

Very slick. Gotta get parts out to Bobby soon (probably next week) for an Open gun... looking forward to it. :)

I'm extremely picky about feel, balance, controls, trigger, sight picture etc.

On that, would you explain the thumb safety?

Also, is the sight picture a function of the rear sight?

For me the sight picture is a ratio between front and rear widths. I like just a little light on both sides, not too much though. If I can see the front sight through the rear then I know it's aligned. Too thin up front and the front wanders in the notch. Bobby recommended the SVI rear sight and so far I like it. Very solid.

As for the thumb safety, my weak hand sits high enough that my palm nearly covers the lever so I cut it down. The safety has a hard click going up to prevent the safety from going on while shooting.

• 2 weeks later...