Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 Accuracy

orionz06

There is no way in hell I will find a gun that cannot shoot a load I can buy in a store acceptable. Not gonna bother with hand loads or any of that crap. If it can't shoot it can't shoot, not wasting my time with it. It will continue to go back to S&W.

I get what you're saying. Although rest assured, hand loading isn't crap or a waste of time. (I know you didn't mean it that way-- just poking a little fun.)

I only brought it up in case you had tried, as it could provide some information that might help identify (or at least eliminate) some causes of the problem.

If you're looking for 2" @ 25 with 115 grain stuff, though... you're going to be out of luck with the M&P and the stock barrel, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure how the KKM or SL barrels handle those pills, but I suspect that the Barsto fitted will probably be able to claim that and more. Although I'm not sure what twist rate they plan on using...

I have the KKM drop in with AA&A 115 good stuff I get 2" or better

with my pro

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching a rerun of Shooting USA last night. Julie was doing her bit about properly sighting in your pistol prior to a match. I remember discussions somewhere on here wondering if the S&W Pros got special pistols instead of the regular ones like we get. After watching last night's episode, I'd say not. Her groups were nice at 10 and 15 yards, but at 25 and 50, they were horrible, just like most here complain about. Interesting...

I'm starting to get on board with thinking my lack of increasing accuracy isn't just me. :(

Shot a new STI Spartan last night and I was grouping at 50ft better than I group at half that with both my M&P Pros. Could be trigger, but the trigger on my 5" is smoother/lighter than the Spartan.

Makes me debate if I just switch platforms. Anyone want a full M&P 5" Production setup? (half kidding, going to get some more testing in before I do that)

I have been playing with the lee 125gr tumble lube bullets. I have a storm lake barrel in my pro. I have been getting better results with my cast bullets than the plated bullets I have been purchasing. It seems my m&p likes the 125grs better than 147s. My bullets are dropping at. 357 dia. Not done testing but definitely making progress in accuracy.

It seems like Randy will have two good answers for us with the Barsto barrel and the redisigned locking block.

Now if I can just hold out until they go into production....

As much as I appreciate all that Apex has done and helped me over the phone I am not gonna waste a single minute holding my breath. We are coordinating them to come out for an armorers course where I live and we already postponed it until next year just to have barrel fitting covered.

Not sure what the hold up is but it getting close to the point where I feel it won't even matter.

• 4 weeks later...

After being frustrated at the kind of accuracy I was getting out of my 9mm Pro and researching the numerous solutions people posted. I went ahead and dropped in a KKM barrel... WOW what a difference. I now get 1.5" or better groups at 20 yards with the same ammo that was printing at 4-5" witht the factory barrel. I dont reload so i was trying all different brands, weights, etc. and nothing seemed to worked. For those having these same issues, I highly recommend trying this barrel out! It has restored my confidence in my production set up!

After being frustrated at the kind of accuracy I was getting out of my 9mm Pro and researching the numerous solutions people posted. I went ahead and dropped in a KKM barrel... WOW what a difference. I now get 1.5" or better groups at 20 yards with the same ammo that was printing at 4-5" witht the factory barrel. I dont reload so i was trying all different brands, weights, etc. and nothing seemed to worked. For those having these same issues, I highly recommend trying this barrel out! It has restored my confidence in my production set up!

Just put KKMs in both my 9 and 40. Much better results for me too.

There is no way in hell I will find a gun that cannot shoot a load I can buy in a store acceptable. Not gonna bother with hand loads or any of that crap. If it can't shoot it can't shoot, not wasting my time with it. It will continue to go back to S&W.

Loads bought at the store are crap. I watched a buddy shooting 115gn factory rounds today out of his g34 and couldn't hit a thing. Loaded a mag of his hand loaded 147 and he was right back on target.

Going to just go ahead and pick up a KKM from Shooters Connection. My Spartan is shooting circles around my M&P and I'm tired of second guessing if its me or the barrel.

Short of a gunsmith-fit on your barrel and slide, I wouldn't expect ANY duty-grade gun to shoot as well as your Spartan.

That's by engineering design-- by all rights, the Spartan should consistently outshine your M&P. Sure, it's not a full-on custom 1911-- but the folks at STI put out a pretty darn good shooting product.

I took my 9mm Pro out to the range today, mainly to screw around, to compare velocities between it, and my little Kimber Solo.

I ran some 124 grain Blazer (brass), Winchester 124 grain NATO, and some Remington, 124 grain, Golden Sabre +P.

Factory ammo in my Pro SUCKS!! At 25 yards, the Blazer and Winchester shot 5-6" groups, and the Golden Saber was about 4". My handloads were under 2". :surprise:

Another weird thing was that even though the Golden Saber +P loads were slightly faster than the NATO loads, out of my Pro, the NATO loads were faster out of the Solo. :blink:

I fixed my pro 9 issues for good. Traded it for a glock 34. I don't know why it is but I shoot the stock glock better than I shot the pro with all apex trigger parts.

I still like the pro 40 though. Mine has much better accuracy than my 9 did.

I am also getting frustrated by the accuracy issues of my M&P Pro. I really dont think i should have to drop $200 on a barrel to fix a problem with a supposedly high quality pistol

Looked into getting a Storm Lake barrel but the wait time for production is like 4 weeks for a stainless and 12 weeks for a black. I heard about some issues with the KKM barrels that ruled those out for me.

I am now looking at getting a CZ. That way I could save $200 :wacko:

I am also getting frustrated by the accuracy issues of my M&P Pro. I really dont think i should have to drop $200 on a barrel to fix a problem with a supposedly high quality pistol

Looked into getting a Storm Lake barrel but the wait time for production is like 4 weeks for a stainless and 12 weeks for a black. I heard about some issues with the KKM barrels that ruled those out for me.

I am now looking at getting a CZ. That way I could save $200 :wacko:

Good luck finding a CZ! I have KKM barrels in both my M&P 9/L and .40 Pro. "0" issues, and accurate as heck. An M&P + KKM barrel is still gonna be less than a CZ 75 SP-o1 Shadow Custom. (if you can find one)

I've always run 124-125 jhps, either in .355, or .356, form Zero, Hornady and PD, for handloads, and get sub 2" at 25 yards. The only 115s and 147s I've tried were in factory loads, and I thought they were pretty awful. Now That I've tried factory 124s from 3 different manufacturers, it looks like it just hates factory ammo. :surprise:

My pro HATES 124gr. It likes 115 best with 147 2nd.

Anyone try like a 130 gr Super bullet? I found I have a case of 3k fmj's.

I was *this* close to trying some .356 rounds from MG, as their .355's are often on the "thin" side by my scoping. Coupled with the slow twist of the M&P barrels, I thought it'd at least be interesting to try...

But, eh... I added a KKM just for the lulz, as the gun was already shooting sub-2" @ 25 yards (free hand, by a gracious World Shoot competitor)-- and it actually got even better. :blink:

I'm wondering if it's not a factory vs. handload situation? I didn't even futz with mine, truth be told-- loaded as long as the chamber and magazines would allow, ran it up to 130 PF... grouped it, was more than happy, and let it ride. Lucky me?