Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 Accuracy

orionz06

All,

The last couple of days I have been at the range shooting both my 9 and 40 M&P's. I thought it was me but perhaps it is not.

The accuracy of these guns suck. I thought perhaps it was my reloads however I tried several different loading scenarios against

factory ammo with the same results. I have shot a G23 with excellent results hitting POA every time. I have tried different sight

setups, and trigger parts with the same results. Very disappointed. Looks like I will be buying a Glock or a Sig 2022!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 5" 9mm Pro back from S&W (issue was unrelated to accuracy) early this week. They replaced the barrel and slide. I told them I used the gun to compete in IDPA, and they did a polish on the feed ramp. The gun shoots great! 3" groups at 20 yards offhand is easy to do every time now, even with ME shooting it. :lol: They did right by me!

I had a local gunsmith put an 11 degree target crown on my 9L, just like you would put on a bench rest rifle. 25 yard groups went from the 5-6" range to 4". That's about a 25% increase in accuracy/consistency/groupability. Didn't cost much and may be worth looking into.

I got my 5" 9mm Pro back from S&W (issue was unrelated to accuracy) early this week. They replaced the barrel and slide. I told them I used the gun to compete in IDPA, and they did a polish on the feed ramp. The gun shoots great! 3" groups at 20 yards offhand is easy to do every time now, even with ME shooting it. :lol: They did right by me!

BillR1, how was the accuracy before you sent the gun to smith?

BillR1, how was the accuracy before you sent the gun to smith?

Not bad at all up close, but it's noticeably better now at longer ranges. The polished feed ramp was something I noticed right away that I didn't have before.

I have a kkm barrel on mine and it shoots awesome. If it were me before I sold a M&P that had problems with accuracy I would double down and buy a KKM barrel for 170 bucks and see if I can resolve the problem I think that would be less money Then the money I would lose in reselling the gun. Everyone that is complaining of accuracy issues with the M&p is having the barrel replaced and the problems are going away or getting better so honestly I believe it's going to be something barrel related. They must have had a bad batch of barrels because some people the gun shoots perfect and others are having problems

I did some testing of various ammo in my M&P (9mm 4.25" pro). Thinking I just needed to find the "right" ammo for accuracy....No such luck, no matter what ammo I try it is like a scatter-gun: 4-5" patterns at ~7 yards. (fwiw,I can shoot consistently better groups with my Taurus 1911 9mm).

Thought it was just me, had an expert shooter from the club try it: against scatter-pattern.

It's now back at S&W, I hope it gets fixed....

Edited by SlowShooter

• 2 weeks later...

All,

The last couple of days I have been at the range shooting both my 9 and 40 M&P's. I thought it was me but perhaps it is not.

The accuracy of these guns suck. I thought perhaps it was my reloads however I tried several different loading scenarios against

factory ammo with the same results. I have shot a G23 with excellent results hitting POA every time. I have tried different sight

setups, and trigger parts with the same results. Very disappointed. Looks like I will be buying a Glock or a Sig 2022!

If you have an M&P 40 that's giving you accuracy issues, you're either very unlucky or looking at all of the wrong things as a source for the problem. The small frames were designed around the .40, and subsequently do not suffer from the accuracy issues that are "so commonly" reported in the 9mm pistols.

My main still holds 2" @ 25 yards with the factory barrel, however... I may be trying out a KKM to see about squeezing some more PF out of the darn thing. Too little velocity right now for my comfort. :wacko:

hello from my personal experience.

The M&P 9mm (4,25 OR 5") have a good precision, but they are very ammo sensitive...i can have groups from +6" to -2" at 25 yards

I did the test on 7 M&P with the same results good in all with some ammunition and really bad with some others of course there's some variations between guns, but when i have the correct ammunition, the groups are correct in all the 7 guns i have used for the test !

Marc

I was less than thrilled about the accuracy of my M&P Pro at first. I put in an APEX trigger kit and my accuracy was noticeably better. I am interested to see what a new barrel would do now too.

In this instance I would say it is more you than the gun. Mine is in fact the gun, confirmed by other shooters and a rest.

I was less than thrilled about the accuracy of my M&P Pro at first. I put in an APEX trigger kit and my accuracy was noticeably better. I am interested to see what a new barrel would do now too.

In this instance I would say it is more you than the gun. Mine is in fact the gun, confirmed by other shooters and a rest.

I'm going to have to agree with you, Orionz. I've followed your saga on several boards and there's no doubt that you've got a lemon there.

I was wondering though if you've tried a bunch of different projectiles in hand loads? It might just be a hyper-ammo sensitive one?

I'm going to have to agree with you, Orionz. I've followed your saga on several boards and there's no doubt that you've got a lemon there.

I was wondering though if you've tried a bunch of different projectiles in hand loads? It might just be a hyper-ammo sensitive one?

There have been many different quality loads through the gun, loads that shoot groups <2" out of others. None group too terribly well. I have some ASYM and a few others to try.

Right, but have they all had something in common?

All jacketed, or all plated, or all lead? All RN?

Have you considered trying .356 diameter rounds? Loading notably longer, or even shorter (within reason of course)?

Slower powders, faster powders-- odd ball powders?

Definitely more of a PITA than it should be, but I'm the curious/experimental type! :lol:

There is no way in hell I will find a gun that cannot shoot a load I can buy in a store acceptable. Not gonna bother with hand loads or any of that crap. If it can't shoot it can't shoot, not wasting my time with it. It will continue to go back to S&W.

My current status with them is that I need to shoot this gun to see if I am satisfied with it as they suggested they did something to it. I have all types of ammo they used to test it and some ASYM Precision ammo that is touted to be developed for Julie G to shoot Bianchi. I will use all of this to shoot their standards, 3 shots at 10 yards and then compare it to mine, multiple 5 and 10 shot strings. It will be compared to a brand new Gen 4 G17 that has been unfired beyond the 2 test cases at Smyrna.

Hello

My 3 primary M&P 9mm's will all shoot 3" or better at 25 yards with any 147 grain ammunition that I feed them, and two of them have printed 2 5/8" standing offhand at 25 yards with 147 grain. That works for me. However, all three of the guns shoot about 6-8" at 25 yards using 115 and 124 grain ammo. My solution at this point is just to stick with 147 grain.

I have basically the same results but i can have a really good group with some 124gr FP

with Frontier 124 Gr RN the best groups is 6" but with the FP i can have 2" at 25 yards

cmj2.jpg

Marc

Edited by PEETERSMARC

There is no way in hell I will find a gun that cannot shoot a load I can buy in a store acceptable. Not gonna bother with hand loads or any of that crap. If it can't shoot it can't shoot, not wasting my time with it. It will continue to go back to S&W.

I get what you're saying. Although rest assured, hand loading isn't crap or a waste of time. (I know you didn't mean it that way-- just poking a little fun.)

I only brought it up in case you had tried, as it could provide some information that might help identify (or at least eliminate) some causes of the problem.

If you're looking for 2" @ 25 with 115 grain stuff, though... you're going to be out of luck with the M&P and the stock barrel, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure how the KKM or SL barrels handle those pills, but I suspect that the Barsto fitted will probably be able to claim that and more. Although I'm not sure what twist rate they plan on using...

While 2" is the magical goal that I have seen my other guns shoot and some M&P's exceed I am not expecting that from a stock service pistol. I am however also expecting a pistol that will at least shoot a group smaller than an IDPA down zero at 25 yards.