Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PARA 16-40

40S&W

I use SV 140mm mags with the Grams springs and bottom. If you trim the spring just a little, you can get 21 rds in them.

But I don't use them like that. I have them setup with the factory bottom/18rds each. I do have one with the Gram bottom for 20 rds.

I really like the factory bottoms how they feel in my hand when reloading. And framkly, with movement I really dont need more rounds.

Only in some areas of a stage, yes the 20 rds is useful.

thanks

I have 6 factory Para Mags with stock springs and followers with the Dawson Mag Pads, They will hold 21 but hard to seat on reloads. I load the first to 21 the rest to 20 for ease of reloading on the stage. No hiccups in more than two years. JMHO

I have 5 Dawson pads on my Canadian made Para mags and each one loads 20 rounds of 40 S&W. Make sure you get the extra power springs when you get the pads. The factory springs may work, for a while, but I found they will give you problems down the road. I don't try to fit 21 in to the first mag, I just use a "Barney" instead.

BTW- I've heard the older (blued) Canadian Para mags are smoother (inside the magazine tubes) than the nickle magazines. You may have to buff the interior surface a little to get the springs to run nice and smooth.

Edited by wmspdi

+1 on the dawsons, the arredondos are junk. I had a couple and the best thing I ever did for my para was replace then with dawsons. On the arredondos every once in a while the follower would turn and get stuck down or the little fingers on the retainer part would bind with the spring not letting you load more then 15 or so until you corrected it

• 2 months later...

I'm with Jammer1911, I can get 21 in my stock mag with Dawson basepads. I have made reloads with 21 but that was at my first Monster Match two years ago. Stages average over 40 rounds. What a blast. Normally I reload with 20.

If you go Dawson's...be sure to purchase the dent ball and spring replacement kit...you get 5 springs and detent balls. They fail or pop out when you most need them. :angry2: Good insurance to have replacement on hand.

Has Grams improved there material? I had a Grams base pad that fell apart when I cleaned it. I used some sort of solvent on it and it disintigrated. Should have sent it back but didn't.