Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Act of Valor

Nemo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All in all I enjoyed the movie. There are plenty of valid points in this thread. ie the muzzle flashes, suppressors, speaking parts, however it is 100% better than if they would have put Arnold in it and had him stand in the middle of a field and take out an entire opposing army with a snub nose that he fires 500 times w/o reloading!!!

Wife and I saw it this afternoon and we both enjoyed it. The place was packed and most of the people didn't leave till all the credits were shown. Can't wait for the DVD to come out. Read in an article that the Navy was given over 300 hrs of movie footage after the editing was done. Would be great if they could include some of it in the DVD.

Saw this at the late night showing in Rancho Mirage.

Dislikes.... The lighting during the serious family scenes lended a MOW feel that was actually funny. It didn't have to be shot that way. The whole letter to the child narration was so sappy. :sick:

Likes... The way they portrayed the fluidity of movement once the bullets start flying. There were times when the SEALs are engaged in a firefight, and you can see that the enemy is among them, but that they use their close-quarters skills to almost ballet-like precision. Their ability to properly use a sniper to advance and have eyes on scene was so cool. The way they portrayed supressive fire. Also interlocking fields of fire from birds-eye vantage point shots. That they showed the Seals as just as unlucky as anyone at times. You are not gonna leave thinking they are supermen. Bullets find people. An early shooting scene in the movie showed the biggest threat to a person with a pistol is lack of distance to target. That scene was just so cooly shot. Couldn't believe this was the same movie.

All in all I liked it. I think the idea was cool. It was waaaay better than Top Gun. I think I'll probably buy it for the guy-movie collection.

Is that okay now? Jeeze you guys!

Edited by JimmyZip

I saw it last night. I am thinking that they knew one of the knocks against most if not all action movies was nobody ever runs out of ammo and nobody ever does a mag change. There were plenty of mag changes in this movie. :cheers:

I saw it last night. I am thinking that they knew one of the knocks against most if not all action movies was nobody ever runs out of ammo and nobody ever does a mag change. There were plenty of mag changes in this movie. :cheers:

And people properly letting their team mates know that they were doing so.

Saw the movie the evening after attending "Ranger School" graduation at Ft. Benning. Talk about a Red, White,and Blue day!We are lucky to have some incredibly talented and courageous young men (and women) in our Armed Services!

And they used their safeties, realtime comunication clearing rooms and areas etc. Much more realism than typical action movies with high paid hollywood actors. Inspite of the lack of polished acting ability, I liked it overall. The swft boat scenes from overhead were just awsome.

The swft boat scenes from overhead were just awsome.

FWIW... that's "SWCC boat" (pronounced "swick boat") - it sounds like "swift" or "slick" boat in the movie, but... Actually, those were SOC-R's in the movie (the SWCC guys run several different types of boats, depending on the conditions - you saw three of the main ones in the movie...) cheers.gif

Personally, I'd even take a 10' john boat if I could put an M143 in it ;) (eta - or, GAU-17/A, if prefer the Navy lingo...)

Edited by XRe

The swft boat scenes from overhead were just awsome.

FWIW... that's "SWCC boat" (pronounced "swick boat") - it sounds like "swift" or "slick" boat in the movie, but... Actually, those were SOC-R's in the movie (the SWCC guys run several different types of boats, depending on the conditions - you saw three of the main ones in the movie...) cheers.gif

Personally, I'd even take a 10' john boat if I could put an M143 in it ;) (eta - or, GAU-17/A, if prefer the Navy lingo...)

Yeah swick sounds like swift. In vietnam they did use a larger aluminum hulled boat called a swift boat. Not the same craft by any means. I just ASSumed the name carried over as often times happens. Good stuff though. Thanks.

And they used their safeties, realtime comunication clearing rooms and areas etc. Much more realism than typical action movies with high paid hollywood actors. Inspite of the lack of polished acting ability, I liked it overall. The swft boat scenes from overhead were just awsome.

I think thats what killed it for me, It was so "real" it felt like work.. :surprise: The best part of the movie is the boat scene period.

Still a good movie though. BUT I NEEDZ MY ELPLOXINS!

Edited by DocMedic

I think I'd rather have the Mk V boat. Looks like it would make an excellent fishing boat. At least the way I fish.

What way is that? Short burst from the Mk 19, then motor over and scoop 'em up? surprise.gif

The Mk-V makes an appearance later in the movie, BTW cheers.gif

Edited by XRe

I think I'd rather have the Mk V boat. Looks like it would make an excellent fishing boat. At least the way I fish.

What way is that? Short burst from the Mk 19, then motor over and scoop 'em up? surprise.gif

The Mk-V makes an appearance later in the movie, BTW cheers.gif

Oh I know, during the yacht take down. Me wants. And yes, I suck so bad at fishing the only way I'm bringing anything home is via Mk-19. I'm not sure about the short burst thing though.

On my 'To Watch' list very very soon.

It took you damn near 27 years to watch Blazing Saddles......

This comes out next week, you have a fiancee that I am sure deserves a night out

27 years?! That might cost you a few man points Corey! :roflol:

Every single movie I've seen, including oscar winning blockbusters, all have a little or a lot of something I didn't like. Some more than others. This one has more stuff I liked than stuff I didn't. The main characters are not Hollywood millionaires pretending to be... These guys are IT. So yeah, their dramatic skills are not academy award worthy but and there was some cheesy dialog but you know these are real warriors can drive those boats, pistols, rifles, for real.

I understand those with ties to USMC SpecOps community have gear envy! :devil:

GO NAVY!

I went last night and took my son...explained to him this is what real operators do not the jazzed up movie nonsense....

The entire movie was incredibly well done--and even the acting was decent....had they done this with actors it would have sucked

Also...they did the Slick Boat scene with LIVE FIRE M-134 miniguns and M60s....spectacular

Thank God for SWCC's in that scene!