Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to extract

SlappyM&P

Totally frustrated! This is the third failure to extract I have had. I am currently running a 13 lb spring on a tungsten guide rod shooting 1050 fps on 124 MG bullets. I thought at first it was firing out of battery but now I am not sure. All three time I have had to use a multitool to get the case to come out. Tonight I put the case into my case gauge an it checks out fine. What is happening? Upon inspection the case has the "Glock bulge" but it fit fine in me Wilson case gauge. Any thoughts.

I would put the factory spring back in and see if the problem still exists. Could be with the light spring the slide is coming out of battery prematurely. Remember the case expands to form a gas tight seal then as pressure falls off it contracts slightly to allow extraction. If you have a bulge in the base it could be the round is backing out of the chamber while under pressure.

Run the stock # spring. No reason for the lighter spring, except to cause malfunctions.

Edit to add: in 10000 rounds I have yet have a FTE. I run 147 grain at 130 pf and I run a stock spring.

Does the buldged case still fit in gauge? If not you are most likelt firing out of battery

Edited by sdm74

Even with stock springs M&P's have FTE problems. This is common among M&P's. It's the extractor, not the recoil spring.

Maybe some do. I do keep mine well cleaned, I take a very small flathead screw driver with a patch on it, and I pick out the debris. I do hear they gunk up easily. Maybe that is the cause with the FTE problem for some M&P's

I am not new to the FTE problem with the m&p pro. I have had my gun back to smith several times and it's FTEing again. I have been hesitant to get the FRE but at this point I'm gonna go for it and buy one. I have a sanctioned match tomorrow so I have cleaned my extractor to the best of my abilities and I am using starline brass. I gonna hope for the best.

As for my gun. I have 40K+ rounds through it. I load 124gr frontiers at 1.15 OAL with 4.1 gr of tight group.

are these just 9mms? my m&p 40's have had zero extraction problems in several thousand rounds. Zero problems of any kind actually.

I had an occasional (once ever 150 rounds) extraction issue on another gun that seems to have been solved with slightly beefier extractor spring.

Hurm, I have 2 M&P Pros and neither has had an issue with a wide variety of factory ammo. Sounds like I'm... lucky?

Yes you are lucky. I sent mine to smith when I first bought it. They modified the chamber and replaced the extractor and it was better but the damage was done and so was the M&P for me.

There all kinds of theories out there. I heard the chambers on some of the Pro's ended up with melonite overspray in them which caused cases to stick. Smith basically polished the chambers to the extent they should have been in the first place as part of the cure. But I agree with Chris the general opinion is that the problems lie in the extractors and we are not just talking about them being dirty either.

I've heard the theory of overspray in the chamber too. If the extractor was working correctly, it would tear the rim off the case if it stuck because of overspray. The problem is with the extractor and a weak extractor spring. Buy the after market extractor and the heavy extractor spring and you will be good to go.

I've heard the theory of overspray in the chamber too. If the extractor was working correctly, it would tear the rim off the case if it stuck because of overspray. The problem is with the extractor and a weak extractor spring. Buy the after market extractor and the heavy extractor spring and you will be good to go.

With the extractor being spring-loaded, it's going to jump off the rim sooner or later. Basically it will fail (to grab & hold) before the rim will.

I'm pretty well sold it's only going to get better with an after-market extractor.

Melonite is a hot salt bath, no way to "overspray" the chamber however the chambers do need to be polished after the bath or they can be sticky, so is one part of the problem.

Then next part is the angle on the extractor hook is set to 90 degrees. This means, any slightly large, any angle on the rim, or accumulation of crud and the hook can slip off. If you send your gun back to S&W they put a hook in with a steeper angle that bites into the rim much better and will not slip off as easily.

the last contributor to the problem is the M&Ps unlock pretty quick. for the most part the guns are fine, but occasionally tolerances stack up and they unlock to early and there is still pressure holding the case in the chamber.

These are the reasons why the problems occur, it isn't any one thing, but usually a combination of problems that lead to a gun that FTEs.

The easiest way to fix it is certainly to send it back to S&W their customer service is fast and FREE. Next on the list is to put in either the APEX or the Speed Shooter Specialties extractor. They do work well and they fix the hook angle problem. The last and likely the most expensive way is to have someone like myself recut the extractor, polish the chamber and make certain the front locking block and barrel are playing nice together(not unlocking early).

Melonite is a hot salt bath, no way to "overspray" the chamber however the chambers do need to be polished after the bath or they can be sticky, so is one part of the problem.

I knew it was something along those lines.

Thanks Dan!

HOLY CRAP DAN BURWELL? I think the last few months set the record of folks trying to find you. roflol.gifGlad to see you're still alive.cheers.gif

Thanks for everyones input. I took the extractor out last night and made the hook angle a little sharper. I am pretty good about cleaning my guns but there was a ton of crud packed in it. I made sure that everything was as burr free as possible. I will try to get to the range tomorrow for testing. If it doesnt solve the problem I will ge the FRE from Kenny at SSS.

Dan Burwell, I dont know you, and you dont know me, but according to the M&P world, you are "The Man". I greatly appreciate you sharing your wisdom with us. I know there were alot of people looking for you. Glad to see your post.

Thanks for everyones input. I took the extractor out last night and made the hook angle a little sharper. I am pretty good about cleaning my guns but there was a ton of crud packed in it. I made sure that everything was as burr free as possible. I will try to get to the range tomorrow for testing. If it doesn't solve the problem I will get the FRE from Kenny at SSS......

FWIW, I have never had an extraction problem with my M&P 9FS or 9Pro but I replaced the extractors on both early on with FRE's (with factory spring). For $45 I think it is well worth it on a competition gun that cycles volumes of reused, mixed mfr brass.