Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1 garand in 3gun

Murdoc

Just looking for some feed back, and seeing if I'm the only crazy out there... So I'm thinking about shooting 3gun this season and just recently picked up an M1 garand! I'd like to shoot in heavy metal and don't have the M1-A kind of money... So I'm looking at getting a .308 barrel for the garand so the ammo is a bit cheaper! Just looking for some advice, pictures of your gear, or if its not even close to being a good idea!

Also im just thinking it would be cool to start a new shoot of heavy metal and call it 8-up!!! So any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

if you reload the 30-06 isnt really gonna cost any more to shoot that 308. If I was going that route (which would be cool) I would stick with the 30-06.

BTW I think there is a WWII division at LaRue Designed for Garands and such.

Mike,

Welcome to the forums!

The Garand is a great gun, not the best for 3gunnin, but hey, when getting started why spend a bunch o money? Run what you have, learn the game and most important, have fun! Spend your money on ammo/practice, get used to your firearms, and ask lots of questions... You will get too much information at times, and be warned, everybody thinks what they have is the "best". (the age old Ford vs Chevy thing)

I am not sure about your question about putting a 308 barrel in your Garand. Like Cap says, reloading 308 vs 30.06 can be about the same cost, IF you have the equipment. Buying the ammo can be quite a difference.

Check out the thread (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129982) about the Texas 3 gun match in Liberty Hill TX, they have opened a new WWII division requiring Garands, so it sounds like you could fit right in.

jj

Using a Garand in 3gun id going to make it tough for you to run. Because it takes big brass balls! I love the idea. I'm not shooting the WWII division at LaRue mainly because I don't have a Garand but I think you should run the gun!

On the day Patton said "The M1 Garrand is the greatest battle implement ever devised" (or something to that effect) he was right. But that was a loooong time ago. I realized quickly when I briefly used mine in 3 gun there have been better tools designed Scince then. It was fun though.

Edited by mpeltier

There is a fellow that shoots his Garand at the Steel City rifle matches. I enjoy watching him run the gun and he is very proficient at loading it. The rules at that match have a provision for the Garand that lets them put one hit (anywhere) on paper targets without penalty. But even a match that lets you put one A on paper would help the Garand out, so run it and enjoy it. You will definately have style points and probally get to meet more people because of the gun.

Hurley

Using a Garand in 3gun id going to make it tough for you to run. Because it takes big brass balls! I love the idea. I'm not shooting the WWII division at LaRue mainly because I don't have a Garand but I think you should run the gun!

hey smoof! you wanna borrow a garand? i got an extra one with a new barrel.

:cheers:

Thanks everyone for the comments! Looks like I'm going to get some gear together and start soothing some matches when the season gets started back up again!!! Anyone have any ideas for mag pouches for the enblocs or the best way to carry them?

You are not alone! I rarely shoot mine these days because of Fuzzy Sight Syndrome (getting old), but try to shoot at least one match a year with it. If trying to be competitive, I run a 590 and M&P45, but sometimes just a bare bones 1911 and 1897 pump. Since I always run my shotgun holders on a separate belt, I use a surplus Korean era belt for the Garand. I put a little padding in the bottom of the pouches and tuck most of the flaps in. I did have my Garand re barreled to .308 and use a Smith Enterprises muzzle brake. I'm not in danger of winning a match, but can manage to hold my own and it is FUN and that's why I compete.

As has been said, use the M1 and have a ball! Look to the CMP for ammo if you can. If you're a USPSA member you belong to a qualifying club. At one of the clubs in my area, at the fall rifle match, a couple guys have shot Garands. Lot's of loading on a 50+ round course! The common factor was the smiles while they were shooting.

Ummmm...you should be using an Arisaka for that match. :roflol:

Dan, Don't tempt me. I've got a couple. I wonder if Sheldon will let me run one with one of those god awful long bayonets on it? lol

Dan, Don't tempt me. I've got a couple. I wonder if Sheldon will let me run one with one of those god awful long bayonets on it? lol

If he does, I want to see pictures! Don't forget your hat too.

i still make my offer of borrowing my extra M1. bayonet is shorter tho.

I applaud you for putting the "V" back into DVC! You are my hero! :cheers:

Lol thank you!!! Also thanks to everyone else for the positive comments! I'm really looking to forward to competing in 3gun with the garand!!! Still giving thought on where I'm going to put all my enblocs but I've already started design on some kydex clip pouches and looked at some shotguns this afternoon! Anyone with an average amount of rifle ammo I should carry?

Shot a match recently with mine and I slid the clips in my man mountain shot shell caddies. Turn one bullets down and the other bullets up and you can get two clips in one caddie