Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movies that I should be embarassed to like

EricW

This topic has made me think. I'm really not embarrassed by any of the movies I like. Now, there are other people who might think I should be embarrassed but I feel I can make a valid case for every movie I like - even those that other people deride.

Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I may as well chime in with 2 obscure movies.... at least they are obscure to me..

Post Apocalypse done with hokie special effects, large spiders, and a really cool RV..

Damnation Alley

And Gene Simmons as a terrorist opposite Tom Selleck in...

Runaway

I've seen neither of these movies for a very long time.. The second one is on dvd, the first one however is not on DVD and can be found now and then on VHS for sale. If I caught them on late night I think I'd watch them again just because it's been so long.. lol

Vince

Here's another one:

Never On Tuesday

Obscure 80's film (I can't find it on sale :angry: ) starring a young Claudia Christian (later in one of the Star Trek -esque TV shows...can't remember the title), Andrew Lauer and Peter Berg. Absolutely hilarious film with cameos from Gilbert Gottfried, Nicholas Cage, Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez.

To call it a 'B' movie is a bit generous, but absolutely a hilarious 'beer and pizza' movie.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have the original French Barbarella comics. (I can't have everything in comic books, you know, I only own, like, 20,000 of the things.) OTOH there was a really rather good 4-issue mini-series based on the movie Galaxina. I'm missing issue #4. If anyone out there has one they'd like to get rid of....

BIG WEDNESDAY

And, like LAKE PLACID is a classic, while CONAN is...well...art! That great quote..."Crush your enemies, etc"... you gotta admit ole Ghengis Khan had a way with words.

mb

FREE MARTHA STEWART NOW!

Doilies of the Wolrd, Unite!

Thinking about this, I have to add two more to the list, opposites and for different reasons:

Moulon Rouge. Its so over-the-top exhuberant it can be embarassing. Bright, colorful, and the scenery ain't bad, either.

Red Dawn. So earnest. So obvious. So far off what would actually happen as far as history was concerned. And yet, what would I do with Soviet paratroopers drifting down?

"Days of Thunder". It's your typical Bruckheimer/Simpson over the top, low plot film w/ bad dialogue. And I hate NASCAR.:ph34r: Yet every time it comes on TNT or TBS, it calls to me and I have to watch it.

Say Anything was okay. Not the best Cameron Crowe by any means, but certainly decent.

I know, but I can't watch it without it bringing a tear to my eye, especially when he's stood on top of the car holding the tape player.

Guess I'm just a sentimental old fool.

Or a sad case

Kickboxing... sport of the future... Don the Dragon Wilson... ever heard of it?
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed... or buy anything sold or processed... or process anything sold, bought or processed... or repair anything sold, bought or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.

Duane...

I think SAY ANYTHING is indeed the best Cameron Crowe...

I love where the three guys are sitting on the curb in front of the 7-11 on a Saturday nite giving love advice to the lovelorn John Cusack. He asks why they're sitting on a curb instead of out on a date..."By choice, man." Great line.

Last night I ground through OPEN RANGE again just to watch Kevin Costner shoot that smug gunfighter iin the head.

MB

I think SAY ANYTHING is indeed the best Cameron Crowe...

For me it's Almost Famous. When William loses his virginity to three girls, then the next morning gets treated like a servant, obviously he meant nothing to them but a night's fun, then the interview he can't get blows him off - again - he's miles from home, alone, confused, scared, overwhelmed, used and abused, and he sits in the hotel corridor and begins to cry....God, I was dying right along with him. I felt for that kid. It's the sort of moment that gets down inside your guts and twists that only the best of filmmakers could ever pull off.

I just remembered another one.... Starship Troopers.

It's so cheesy, and again earnest, and over the top. Denise Richards is definite eye candy, but a ship pilot? I think not. If it wasn't such a waste of Heinlien, I'd like it a lot more, but I like it. My wife even makes fun of me, but I like it.

And who thought Mini-14s in bullpup plastic stocks would be suitable hi-tech bug-killing weapons? They would have done better just borrowing the M-40 pulse rifles from Aliens.