Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doing your yearly budget

Ben Stoeger

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW - since returning to the game, I have not actually thought about a budget. The old school finance guy in me tells me to "watch it" and don't get too carried away dropping big chunks of change and lose sight of the bigger personal finance picture. I don't buy anything unless I can pay for it in cash.

That said, start up costs after a 10+ year layoff is sobering. Here's the last 6 months:

Ammo: I shoot weekly (or try to) and maybe a local match once a month, two if I'm feeling it.

.45ACP: 6 months worth = 3K rounds purchased because I don't reload anymore = $975

.40S&W: 6 months worth = 6K rounds purchased because I don't reload anymore = $1,750

Total = 2,725

Practice/local match fees ~$65/month x 6 months = ~$390

If you extrapolate those amounts to an annual cost, on going expenses are ~$6,000 not counting gas/transport to/from the range. I only shoot locally and have no plans to travel to any majors so that helps keep the cost down.

Gearing up - one time expenses:

New rigs: Limited and Singlestack = ~$800

New range bag: $100

Fixing up the SS franken gun = ~$600

Misc. consumables: ~$250-300

New limited blaster: >$4K but I got two top ends

There's probably more, but if I can't remember it, it probably wasn't big dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

Fl.Open $700

Alabama $350

Sc. $150

Area6. $500

Ga. $250

Nc. $350

Class. $500 ( training from a GM)

Bullets. $1700. ( inc.brass powder ect)

Gun. $ 2800 new 6"

Targets$200

Local. $700 ( 35 local matches a year )

Trans. $550 ( gas to local matches . I say local the close one is 1 hr away the others are about 2 to 2.5 hrs away.

Total somewhere between 8k and 9k.

But who is counting? Like I say " as long as my wife and daughter are happy and taken care of I'm going shooting"

Edited by a matt

I am on a strict $400 per month budget (thankfully my wife hasn't asked me to include gas in my shooting cost). That has to pay for my supplies, equipment and match fees. I teach pistol marksmanship classes in the summer which adds a little to my summer $$$ and if I win a prize, I try to grab something I need. Otherwise the money from a prize gets roled back into reloading supplies. Right now, every cent I can scrape up is getting gear and ammo together before Larue and Noveski CO State in April. It's tight, but I gotta shoot within my means. I sometimes get impatient to be much better than I am, but then I look back at how few rounds I have really shot. When I look at it that way, I am actually learning very quickly. Just have to make every single shot count for something in the learning curve, and gear selection has to be carefully considered for functionality vs cost. The best products aren't always doable and I often have to settle for second best. When second best parts or gear simply won't do, I cinch up the purse strings untill I can afford to buy what I need and look for some other area of improvement. This helps to keep me constantly self evaluating to find gaps in my performance and focus my practice on filling the gaps. Right now, for me the two big gaps are shotgun reloading and rifle accuracy. Last year rifle accuracy was the biggest hole in my performance, so most of my budget $$$ is going towards rifle practice.

For me I will take a quote from the Matrix...... Ignorance is bliss :ph34r:

I don't want to tally up how much I have spent on competitive shooting per year. I live and play within my means and keep the little lady happy so I can't be doing that bad at keeping my shooting expenses in check. We don't have kids so that gives us more $$$ to spend on fun stuff.

wow, I didn't want to do the math so I just won't :cheers:

I was kicking some butt at a local rimfire match, and an old timer asked me how I could afford to practice so much, and what I did for a living. I told him I had 5 jobs. He then asked where I got the time to practice, and my response was "I don't have cable". I work hard, and have been fortunate in that area but I am by no means rich. I just prioritize. Most of my practice is with 22. A dedicated 22lr 1911 and 22lr AR 15 actually paid themselves off in ammo cost in about a week. So that was more than worth it.

I try to RO and set up every chance I can, since that usually means I get to learn more and pay less to enter matches. Still sometimes collect that prize money though :roflol:

I shoot every chance I get, and go out for cheap wings with my shooting buddies every week. I don't have a super fancy limited race gun, but I have a good time and still beat some people. I don't waste money on crap I don't need (usually), don't smoke, and don't do drugs. I shoot 3 gun, and have probably $8k worth of gear I only paid $3k for by buying on sale, waiting on deals, or building myself. I also show up in a 10 year old car.

But I want to shoot in style and drive off in an Altima :sight:

It's a hobby, sport, passion, lifestyle, whatever.

I'm a new shooter shooting a stock pistol that just got into reloading with only 1 local match within a 1.5hr drive of me so my numbers may not be very high. I also don't plan to shoot a major anytime soon since I'm a newbie shooter. On top of that I'm a full time college student, work full-time, and have 4 kids so my time is limited but here goes.

12mo x $20 fee for local match = $240

~100 rounds per match = $150 (reloading right now for about .15/rnd)

~200 rounds/mo for practice = $300

Gas $30/mo round trip to the match = $360

misc gear maybe another $400

Total right now is looking about $1450

Startup costs though have hurt

Stock Glock 26 = $615

Mag pouches x 4 = $50

extra mags = 4x30 = $120

Hornady LnL AP = $414 + shipping

9mm Die set = $43

9mm Shell Plate = $32

1lb Unique = $25

1k Federal SP primers = $36

500 115gr FMJ = $50

500 XTP = free (rebate with the press)

2x reloading boosk = $50 (got ABC's and the Lyman's Manual)

Wet tumbler, SS media, calipers = free (my brother is a jeweler and has a spare)

1000 rnds of WWB to use for practice and competition then save brass for reloading = $240

Total initial investment = $1675

Total for the year if I can make it through without doing anything nuts like shooting more than one competition a month = $3125

Oh that hurts, but the good news is that over half of it is a one time investment. The only thing I'm missing yet to actually start loading rounds is a scale. My brother has a digital scale he uses for jewelry but it's metric, and grains is a standard measurement.

Edited by Giant81

I started budgetting all of my expenses last year, after my spending started to get out of control.

in 2011, I spent $10k on guns, my wife wasn't impressed. Luckily I sold about $5k in guns and related accessories (I buy a ton of stuff just to resell). I also spent $5k on a motorcycle....and my son was born in 2011. Needless to say, I was pushing my luck.

This year, I have three major matches I plan on attending which will need hotels and travel. All in all, I hope to stay under $3000.

Most of my ammo is made from my huge stockpile of primers, powders and bullets.

Of note, last year I spent about $700 on the FNH match, but made $1300 off the prizes I won, so I came out ahead.

Edited by Onagoth

I am already about 3k deep for this year. Thats including a new SS. But I still have to buy a reloader and the fixins' to start that. I have had a lot of costs this year but I am buying good stuff up front and having everything the way I want it and then it will(hopefully) only be the occasional repair parts and reloading supplies. I shoot lots of local matches and only planning one big match. The good part is since part of my job entails firearms instruction I can write it off on my taxes. last year was a conseritive 4,500 bucks.

• 3 months later...

This is a late reply to the thread, but it is mostly just for theraputic purposes because I just realized that I'm in way deeper than I should be. The total is well in excess of $3812 because holsters, spare parts, and revolver grips are not included.

Match Fees (including SS Nationals) $800 All little matches except for the SS Nationals.

Ammo that I reload at $0.13/round 1,092 Bought slightly more expensive bullets this time.

Splitting trip to Nats with buddy 500

Gun Club Dues (I started new club) 120

Smith & Wesson 625 PC 900+ I want to get classified in Revolver Division.

Ruger GP100 in .38 Spl 400 Great deal on a new in box GP100. Really love that little gun!

Not counted in the above totals are an assortment of S&W revolver parts, and, at least, two really nice holsters.

The only smart thing I did was take care of the reloading budget earlier this year. It came time to refinance some debt to save on interest and get a lower payment, so I added the $1,092 for reloading supplies and just bought all of that at one time.

So on a tangent... for those who sat down and computed their cost for this year, how many of you saw the number and said to yourself: "I need to dry fire more to get more value out of my range time"?

That is a big part of this.. your budget informs you in a lot of ways. In a world of limited time and money we need to be smart about our training to make sure we accomplish the goals we have set forth.

+1, Since coming back from my 5 years off, the money spent on a digital video camera, is helping me more than spending money on ammo and range time as I can analyze and focus my attention far easier than before.

So on a tangent... for those who sat down and computed their cost for this year, how many of you saw the number and said to yourself: "I need to dry fire more to get more value out of my range time"?

That is a big part of this.. your budget informs you in a lot of ways. In a world of limited time and money we need to be smart about our training to make sure we accomplish the goals we have set forth.

+1, Since coming back from my 5 years off, the money spent on a digital video camera, is helping me more than spending money on ammo and range time as I can analyze and focus my attention far easier than before.

I bought Mr. Anderson's book last year. However, finding an adequate place to practice dry fire is almost harder than finding a place to shoot. Within the constraints of a busy home, others can become quite resentful of the dry fire drills, especially when I use the timer. After I get my youngest off to college in a year (or so), I might just start going to my club's range three days through the week to do my drills in peace.

Also, the camera is good. My buddy and I sometimes video our runs, and I find it a good tool. Also, better than me reviewing my video is having a better and more experienced shooter review it.

This is why I've drastically scaled back my shooting the last couple years. Two new mouths two feed, wife not working and staying home w/ the kids, and some home remodelling projects.... hotels/gas/bullets/entry fees had to get cut back. I looked at the numbers and couldn't justify it right now. Hopefully back full steam in a couple years....

-rvb

Hang in there,,,I'm going through the same thing. Only I went cold turkey for about 5 years, just now starting to start shooting some local/smaller matches again every couple weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started shooting USPSA this year at local matches that cost $15 for me and $10 for my son. Hotels and big matches are pretty much out of the question at this point of my life. I would like to try it at least one national match just so I could say that I did, but I don't think that my current skill level would make it worth it.

$25/month for 8 months ( no matches during winter months ) for match fees = $200

0.14/round of .40 800 rounds = $115

0.10/round of 45 ACP 800 rounds = $80

A little bit of practice doubles the round count per month

0.14/round of .40 800 rounds = $115

0.10/round of 45 ACP 800 rounds = $80

TOTAL $590

We have fun and get better everytime.

Fl.Open $700

Alabama $350

Sc. $150

Area6. $500

Ga. $250

Nc. $350

Class. $500 ( training from a GM)

Bullets. $1700. ( inc.brass powder ect)

Gun. $ 2800 new 6"

Targets$200

Local. $700 ( 35 local matches a year )

Trans. $550 ( gas to local matches . I say local the close one is 1 hr away the others are about 2 to 2.5 hrs away.

Total somewhere between 8k and 9k.

But who is counting? Like I say " as long as my wife and daughter are happy and taken care of I'm going shooting"

Edited because I am OVER BUDGET and we are almost into August. It's gonna come out to about $ 10k plus :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

In 2005 when I was really pushing (Laid off from work too) hard to get the hang of this revolver thing this is what I did.

50,000 LRN 230 grn .45 reloads by me @ .7 each = 2500

Mactch ammo: 230 grn FMJ Precision Delta (Discounted to me by PD.....unofficial sponsorship) 750

Major matches:

AR Sectional $300

TN Sectional $300

AL Sectional $300

MO Sectional $300

OH Sectional $300

FL Open $500

A-3 $500

A-4 $500

A-6 $500

Revolver Nats $1000

Gas to Majors $1800

Club matches $450......1 a weekend every weekend for 6+ mo.

Gas to clubs $2250

That is just the pistol. I was dabbling in 3-gun then shooting Heavy metal....but that was just fun so I'll not count it.

So let's add it up just for the Revolver in 2005

$12,650 all while drawing unemployment.

Good thing I had already bought all the bullets, powder, and primers. (Revo guys get all the brass back so I'm taking that out of the equation) :devil:

Gotta LOVE what we do. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hopalong

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

December will end my first year in this sport so here's what Ive settled into that Ill continue in 2013 ......

Practice ammo that I reload @ .10/rd: 200 rds ave per training session at 10 sessions per month = 24,000/yr .... $2,400

Match ammo that I reload @ .12/rd: 200 rds/month for local matches (1 pistol and 1 3-gun) = 2,400/yr .... $288

Ammo for Area 6 and Nationals plus possibly one other level II: 1000 rds .... $120

Level II and nationals expenses .... $1,500

Equipment repair and maintenance .... $250

Range supplies (pasters, staples, etc) targets are free ... $75

Car gas .... No extra cost as i train in the mornings on my way to work ....

$4,633 so call it $4,700 for the year

Considering I used to own 35'. Flybridge sport fishing boat that had twin 350 hp Cat diesels and a 400gal fuel tank, this hobby is cheap ... Maybe I should buy some more guns ... :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone else convert purchases into ammo? My girl friend who is a corporate lawyer regularly buys Prada handbags and shoes, and I always think, Holy shit that is a lot of factory reload 9s!

Edited by Esther

Does anyone else convert purchases into ammo? My girl friend who is a corporate lawyer regularly buys Prada handbags and shoes, and I always think, Holy shit that is a lot of factory reload 9s!

Oh yeah.... All the time. Except with me there's usually no question about the priority.

"That crown is how much doc? Fugedaboutit. I don't need teeth to shoot." :roflol: