Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Pro-Am Shooting® Championship

Phil,

I meant to catch you at Double Tap, but by the time I saw you, you were bagging up your gun and hobbling towards your car. I was covered up with customers and couldn't get free.

Anyway, who do I contact to find out about HEAR-PRO sponsoring the Pro-Am?

Shoot me an email or use my contact page on the website at www.hear-pro.com.

BSG

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at last years scores you can add up the total plates knocked down by the winner in each division. I would say that's a good start. Than maybe up that by 25-30% at least to account for misses and in case you have a re-shoot for some reason.

That's how I figured it last year anyway (but I doubled it and had more than enough... LOL)

Hello everyone,

The match will have 292 targets...4 of them being bonus targets and 18 targets on the tie breaker stage for a possible score of 282. Although no one will hit all of the targets, it's still a good idea to bring plenty of ammo. You should only need a MAX of 350 rounds per match.

The stages are finished, and I've submitted them to my webmaster. She should be updating the site first thing next week. I'll post here when that happens.

On another note, Sunday AM is full with 8 people on the wait list. The Open match on Sunday PM only has 7 spots left. SatAM/PM still has plenty of space.

Really sorry for the delays this year. I'm getting pulled in SO many different directions for the last month or so, I'm lucky I haven't had a heart attack. Looks like I picked a hell of a week to quit drinkin!

Hope to see you there!

Edited by gmshtr

Thanks Matt...and sorry for not being more prompt. I've just got too many irons in the fire!

For some reason my website isn't updating properly, so I'm posting the latest squad lists here. Hopefully the website will straighten itself out by tomorrow.

See you all there,

Phil

2012 Squad List FRI AM.pdf

2012 Squad List FRI PM.pdf

2012 Squad List SAT AM.pdf

2012 Squad List SAT PM.pdf

2012 Squad List SUN AM.pdf

2012 Squad List SUN PM.pdf

I mentioned your question to Phil. He's busy running a USPSA BOD meeting right now but I'm sure he can answer if he gets a chance.

BTW, speaking as another member of the USPSA BOD who shoots IMGA, NRA AP, GSSF, in addition to being the MD for our local NRA AP, GSSF and a rather large three gun match in a couple weeks. I think there are a lot of things to learn from other sports. I see value in running matches in other disciplines. There are things USPSA can improve on and we can learn from other shooting sports. A lot of times it's easier to try out new ways of doing things in Non-USPSA matches as well. As an example I'm running a three gun match in July. A lot of the rules I'm using could not be used in a USPSA match. Some are being tried out for possible inclusion in future USPSA rule books.

I mentioned your question to Phil. He's busy running a USPSA BOD meeting right now but I'm sure he can answer if he gets a chance.

BTW, speaking as another member of the USPSA BOD who shoots IMGA, NRA AP, GSSF, in addition to being the MD for our local NRA AP, GSSF and a rather large three gun match in a couple weeks. I think there are a lot of things to learn from other sports. I see value in running matches in other disciplines. There are things USPSA can improve on and we can learn from other shooting sports. A lot of times it's easier to try out new ways of doing things in Non-USPSA matches as well. As an example I'm running a three gun match in July. A lot of the rules I'm using could not be used in a USPSA match. Some are being tried out for possible inclusion in future USPSA rule books.

You are such a diplomatic guy. I get the different disciplines. I shoot a lot of "IMGA", I actually shoot silhouette once in a while. 3 Gun Nation is not USPSA affiliated. I used to shoot GSSF, but somehow they never came through with my last voucher, so I stopped. Paperwork always seems to be the bottleneck in everything. The ATF is the champion of paperwork bottleneck. I digress. However, my question does not relate to freedom of speech and the general freedoms we have in the US about shooting. When you assume the mantle of USPSA President, you can be assured your actions are going to be looked at more closely. Comes with the territory. There are many really good private ranges that want no affiliation with USPSA and I hope we can change that in the future. I should be happy that Steel Challenge, the US IPSC shoot, and the World Shoot are now within 4 hours of my home. Those are all USPSA affiliated ventures and I want them all to be successful. That said, my question is why our President still running a non-USPSA affiliated match? Just seems unseemly, you know. Can't it be brought under the USPSA umbrella? It seems at cross purposes with the stated goals of USPSA. At some point an answer will come, I'm not in a hurry. Why does everyone seem to think they need to answer for Phil? DVC

You are such a diplomatic guy. I get the different disciplines. I shoot a lot of "IMGA", I actually shoot silhouette once in a while. 3 Gun Nation is not USPSA affiliated. I used to shoot GSSF, but somehow they never came through with my last voucher, so I stopped. Paperwork always seems to be the bottleneck in everything. The ATF is the champion of paperwork bottleneck. I digress. However, my question does not relate to freedom of speech and the general freedoms we have in the US about shooting. When you assume the mantle of USPSA President, you can be assured your actions are going to be looked at more closely. Comes with the territory. There are many really good private ranges that want no affiliation with USPSA and I hope we can change that in the future. I should be happy that Steel Challenge, the US IPSC shoot, and the World Shoot are now within 4 hours of my home. Those are all USPSA affiliated ventures and I want them all to be successful. That said, my question is why our President still running a non-USPSA affiliated match? Just seems unseemly, you know. Can't it be brought under the USPSA umbrella? It seems at cross purposes with the stated goals of USPSA. At some point an answer will come, I'm not in a hurry. Why does everyone seem to think they need to answer for Phil? DVC

Have you shot the Pro-Am, or seen video on it? How would a par time match, shot on various non standard steel targets, and all the other various rules of the Pro-Am work under USPSA rules? Should the Pro-Am change to conform with USPSA rules or should USPSA rules change to conform with USPSA? I'm fairly certain neither solution would be a good idea.

As far as the President or any representative of USPSA running non-USPSA that's their call. We don't pay the President a full time wage and none of the BOD members receives any salary at all. I certainly don't expect Phil or anyone else to slave themselves entirely to USPSA. The past president certainly didn't.

You say it falls at cross purpose for the stated goals of USPSA. How? If Phil wants to build up another successful discipline that USPSA may or may not absorb in the future seems like a decent idea to me.

...my question is why our President still running a non-USPSA affiliated match?

Because he re-invented this format into one of the best matches ever. He did this long before he was the President, and there is no reason to abandon the match now.

In years past, the Pro-Am was listed as being "recognized" by the USPSA. It was listed as such on the USPSA website. Now, since the USPSA President runs the match, I would say it is still "recognized"

This is a case where the USPSA President is promoting competitive shooting as a whole...not limited to just a slice of USPSA. It's good for shooting, and good for the USPSA. Its above and beyond the office he holds.

Thanks for the question. Sorry I didn't respond as quickly as everyone else. I've been pretty tied up with the BOD meeting here in MSP.

As others have mentioned, I revised this event in 2008. Over the years, I've made some changes, improved a few things, and obtained a US Trademark for "Pro-Am Shooitng®" to protect it. It has arguably become one of the more popular events in the country. Because of this success, the Pro-Am has become an anticipated event that many shooters expect to see on a yearly basis. As I am the official owner of "Pro-Am Shooting", I continued to run the match. Arrangements had been made to hold the 2012 event well before I was elected President.

The arguement could be made as to why the Area 4 director (me) ran a Pro-Am Shooting® Championship in 2011. I have publicaly stated (as I am now) that if I feel that the match is negatively affecting my performance as USPSA President, I would sell it and let someone else take over the event.

I've discussed the possibility of affiliating the match with USPSA, but there are several roadblocks that stand in the way (experimental targets, round counts, RO procedures, etc). The last thing I wanted to do was make significant changes to a match that has enjoyed extreme success using the current format.

PLUS it is a way to expose shooters who would otherwise not shoot a USPSA event. Although most of the Pro-Am attendees are USPSA shooters, there are a surprising number of exclusive IDPA shooters, and new competitors who just wanted to shoot what they had seen on TV.

I actively promote USPSA competition to our less experienced Pro-Am competitors as a way to improve. Additionally, since my prize table is heavily based on classifications rather than overall finish, there is a VERY real motivation to join USPSA and get classified before the match.

I can only promise that I will do my best to serve the membership as USPSA President. If I ever feel that another activity is limiting that ability, I will make whatever changes I need to better perform my elected duties.

Take care,

Phil Strader

First off, the unseemly comment is way out of line. There is nothing unseemly about the President running the Pro-Am. Everything was known about his relationship to the match prior to his becoming an Area Director or President.

Second, We do pay the President a full-time salary. Post his salary if you believe otherwise.

His ability to earn income outside his USPSA Salary as long as it does not violate USPSA regulations or US regulations is to be applauded.

Phil is very open about his activities and promotes that philosophy with USPSA management.