Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing Targets... Need advice

PistolPete

It seems that for some reason I keep missing targets when shooting advanced stages. This isn't because I'm not watching my front sight or anything like that. It is because I miss the target completely. Meaning I never even saw it, even during the walk thru and ran right by it. At my last match this happened on a few stages. I would have had a good match but because of this I didn't do well. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only shot a few IPSC matches so I know a lot of it is lack of experience. What are some tips you can give me so I don't make a habbit of this? I know slowing down and being more conscious when doing the walk-thru. I also don't want to go into a stage as many do figuring out exactly where to reload and do the stage like a robot. I think for myself I would rather hit the stage with a bit more freedom and let things progress more naturally.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pete

One easy way is to first go to the stage description and find out what the round count is. Then walkthrough the stage counting each shot. At the end of your walkthrough you should have counted the same number of shots as the stage description or you missed something.

had the same problem and still it reoccured on the last level 1 match. it happened since i did not go through the walk through.. it looked very simple and straight forward but i did not see the last popper. finsihed 5th overall

Blowing past targets without shooting at them may be the only thing you can expect as an end result of "letting things progress more naturally". That form of freedom could have a high price.

At least for me, the "plan" (including reloads) tells me how I'm going to shoot the stage. I obviously plan for all the targets, then spend my non-shooting time checking out everyone else's plans to see if they're better than mine. By the time it's my turn to shoot, the target locations are burned into my memory.

I think not planning reloads is bad. As a L-10 shooter, the first thing I do is start planning reloads based on how the targets are presented. I basically end up breaking down the stage into segments that can be handled with a single magazine. Instead of trying to take in the stage as a whole, these segments are easier to remember. These segments work well enough so that if I shoot first I at least know where all the targets are.

I've found that it's quite possible to have freedom and natural progression without even trying. Many a time my plan has gone right out the window when I heard the beep and natural progression was about all I could manage. However I did remember where all the targets were B)

I'm just a lowly "B" class shooter, so I may be speaking for myself only, but I can't see how a person can shoot a stage well and be competitive without a basic plan. Being able to plan for yourself is freedom.

My 0.02 anyway

Visualize the stage. As you walk through it, commit the targets and vision barriers to your visual memory. Breaking down the stage by magazines is good. Take it a step further by breaking it down by target arrays. Then each target. Then the A zone of each target. Then visualize your sight picture on the A zone.

Let me preface this by saying I try to figure out the best line through a course of fire and determine ahead of time where to change mags. That said, if you choose to shoot more free form I have a question. Could it be that you are focused on getting through the COF rather than objectively observing it as you go? Mind like a mirror, brass hopper! ;)

Here's a tip... I struggled with finding all the targets when I shot Stage One at the Summer Blast and then watched many people get confused when I worked Stage Two.

Walk behind the walls or vision barriers, and look at things from the opposite direction. Much easier to see where all the targets are, then move back in front of the stage and work out where you want to shoot them from. ;)

Aside from the excellent advice already given, having a shooting partner to help review and discuss works wonders.

Excellent example was the squad we shot with at the Buckeye Blast. Never met the folks before, hope to shoot with them again, but we all walked through and discussed plans on how to shoot them....

I did that exact same thing on a 150 point stage at the Buckeye Blast. Cost me at least 40 match points....probably much more than that.

I was just being stupid and didn't compare total rounds required and make sure I found them all on the walkthrough. Not a mistake I'll make again.

I basically end up breaking down the stage into segments that can be handled with a single magazine.

Usually works for me too.

Since I shoot L-10 the majority of the time I am ALWAYS doing this, and it has helped me when I shoot Limited.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I don't wald a stage is when it's simple. 6 targets one shot each freestyle, reload 1 shot each strong hand. I will still get in the box and practice, but obviously don't have to walk what I can see from the box. On any other COF, I take all the time that is given to me to walk the stage from all angles. I always listen and debate a better way with the other shooters. Everyone sees the course from a different perspective, it may enhance your own. You gotta have a plan when to change magazines. Running your gun dry is usually the result. Try entering a match as L-10. The next Limited match will seem like a piece of cake with twice the bullets.

reiterating some of what has already been said:

Walk-thru and count the rounds.

Walk-thru and plan your reloads,

Do it again a couple times. Don't think that your plan is the only way, but be careful of making changes just because another shooter thinks his way is better. If you have made yor plan and rehearsed it several times, don't look at the last shooter before you go and suddenly make major changes. You can make an adjustment, but don't start from scratch when you are up next.

whn you make your plan, even if you are shooting Open or Limited, plan your reloads. Often you'll see a less experianced shooter shoot and screw-up his plan, then all goes to hell because the spot where he was going to reload is now 3 shots further into the course than he has in his mag. In other words, keep track of where you are in your mag, you may figure that you can shoot ten or 18 before you have to reload, but if you miss a plate three times, that will change your reload. Know this and reload so that you canstill flow with your original plan. Often there will be a time like this that as a Production or L-10, even a revolver, you will reload, shoot only two rounds and reload again so that you don't have to do a second standing reload.

Plan and plan what to do if it all goes awry. don't dwell on the plan going bad, but trust me, they will, that buzer is actually a device developed by a mad scientist to reset your brain.

Jim Norman

Pete,

as others already stated, you need to count rounds and plan your stage.

This is what works for me: during stage briefing I mentally take note of 1) Minimum number of rounds required, 2) Paper targets number, 3) Steel targets number.

Then, upon stage walk-through, I try to locate all targets, determining my stage engagement sequence by single "shooting segments".

E.g. In a 16-rounds medium course, with 7 paper targets and 2 steels, that will be shot from 3 different positions, I usually come up with a shooting plan of (let's say) shoot 5, run, shoot 6, run, shoot 5. At the end of this plan the total of all "shooting segments" shall equal the minimum number of rounds read in the stage briefing (5+6+5 = 16 rounds).

Hope this makes sense for you.

2-3 per popper, 3-4 per steel, at least 2 for N/S, 2 for filled in misses plus minimum rounds..... :unsure:

No wonder a take 400 rounds to a 150 round match...... :P

Count your shots before your shoot, while you shoot and after you shot!

• 2 years later...
reiterating some of what has already been said:

Walk-thru and count the rounds.

Walk-thru and plan your reloads,

Do it again a couple times. Don't think that your plan is the only way, but be careful of making changes just because another shooter thinks his way is better. If you have made yor plan and rehearsed it several times, don't look at the last shooter before you go and suddenly make major changes. You can make an adjustment, but don't start from scratch when you are up next.

whn you make your plan, even if you are shooting Open or Limited, plan your reloads. Often you'll see a less experianced shooter shoot and screw-up his plan, then all goes to hell because the spot where he was going to reload is now 3 shots further into the course than he has in his mag. In other words, keep track of where you are in your mag, you may figure that you can shoot ten or 18 before you have to reload, but if you miss a plate three times, that will change your reload. Know this and reload so that you canstill flow with your original plan. Often there will be a time like this that as a Production or L-10, even a revolver, you will reload, shoot only two rounds and reload again so that you don't have to do a second standing reload.

Plan and plan what to do if it all goes awry. don't dwell on the plan going bad, but trust me, they will, that buzer is actually a device developed by a mad scientist to reset your brain.

Jim Norman

+1

The only thing I would add, is to DRAW the stage out.

Pick up a cheap 99 cent spiral notepad and as you walk through the first time draw out where all the targets are.

Then on your second, third and fourth walk through map out your round count per mag, positions for the transitions, etc. 5 minutes for a walk through is a long time. Use as much time as you can. B)

Then, as the other shooters shoot the match, you have you drawing to study to remember where everything is.

Yeah it can look dorky.. but, it looks a lot better then forgetting targets completely.

Since you are a new shooter, they probably haven't asked you to help tape & reset the steel but if you will go out & lend a hand, you'll soon learn where each & every target is located. New folks usually get off pretty light but as you get experience, you will be expected to start lending a hand. Tape different targets each time you go out there. By the time it is your turn, you'll know where they all are! Good luck, keep asking questions. MLM

I recently saw on of the greatest shooters in the world...a World Famous GM - pass right by a target hidden by a steel popper. The reason he never saw the target is that he never once went down range to help paste or set steel...... If he had he would have seen the "invisible" target and it would have not cost him 30+ places on that stage.