Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leupold prismatic

nick romero

The Pris is a great little optic for Limited. Did you get the DCD reticle or the Circle-Plex? If you got the DCD you have the ticket, if not, it’s not bad inside 200 yards on larger targets but the dot is way too big for long shots. Quite a few of us in the Limited class used these last season very successfully. The fact that you have an etched reticle gives you a more crisp edge to use for reference on long shots. The DCD has an approximately 3 MOA center dot, it sound big but you wouldn't really want it any smaller or you wouldn't find it. There is a big difference between an etched dot and a reflex dot. The 3 MOA reference gives you a lot of information out at range so long shorts are very doable. The parallax is less touchy than reflex dots as well at long range and the dials are repeatable. This means you can get your ballistics figured out and reliably adjust your zero as needed. I showed up to one match this year with a 325 zero and after looking at the stages spun it down the prescribed number if clicks for a 200 zero and it was right on.

In short, it is a great optic for our game, as long as you have the right reticle.

Hope that helps,

James

Thanks for the info James. Unfortunately i do not have the dcd reticle but the circle-plex. What other optics do your recomend for limited?

The circle plex can be very good in short matches, it’s just when you get out past the 200 mark that things get tough. Eotech, Aimpoint, Burris, Bushnells, and several others all have some very nice red dot type sights that could also work. I played wit hsome before settling on the Pris for me. The Eotech with multiple dots for BDC ws very interesting but the one I ordered never showed up, so I didn't get to try it out. The standard Eotech was probably me second favorite of the sights I tried. For me, the tube style sights restricted the field of view too much; believe it or not there is a big difference between the reflex tubes and the Pris tube. The Eo was nice and open. I also tried a C-more that would be killer if you could reliably zero the thing at 200 to 300 yards. The big thing with the reflex sights is to make sure you get a 2 MOA dot or smaller. You can affect the perceived size of the dot by adjusting its brightness, but if you start with a smaller dot you have a little more play room. I know you are looking for optics, but, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention good ol iron sights. Keep in mind that irons are what Kurt Miller still uses and he won the Limited division overall last year, so they are far from out of the picture.

Good luck and have fun playing with the different toys out there. I will put in that if you can get a Pris with the DCD you are golden.

thanks for the info casman! i will definately be trying other optics out. i have many eaotechs and aimpoint just trying to find out what works best for 3 gun limited division, and maybe tac scope. trying to really decide which to compete in

The Pris is a great little optic for Limited. Did you get the DCD reticle or the Circle-Plex? If you got the DCD you have the ticket, if not, it’s not bad inside 200 yards on larger targets but the dot is way too big for long shots. Quite a few of us in the Limited class used these last season very successfully. The fact that you have an etched reticle gives you a more crisp edge to use for reference on long shots. The DCD has an approximately 3 MOA center dot, it sound big but you wouldn't really want it any smaller or you wouldn't find it. There is a big difference between an etched dot and a reflex dot. The 3 MOA reference gives you a lot of information out at range so long shorts are very doable. The parallax is less touchy than reflex dots as well at long range and the dials are repeatable. This means you can get your ballistics figured out and reliably adjust your zero as needed. I showed up to one match this year with a 325 zero and after looking at the stages spun it down the prescribed number if clicks for a 200 zero and it was right on.

In short, it is a great optic for our game, as long as you have the right reticle.

Hope that helps,

James

+ 1.

Hope that helps,

James

+ 1.

What they said.

I paid attention to what James and Kelly did and went with the Prismatic too. I have used Aimpoints and Eotechs for a number of years on working guns, but the Pris is the way to go because of the clarity of the etched reticle.

I know that the Pris was a definite asset and it carried me to the Tac Iron win at Fallen Brethren last year.

It didn't hurt that Kelly was shooting Tac Optics and that Kurt and James were absent :D

My rifle has a simple A2 sight setup with the gas block integral to the sights (16" M&P15 Sport). Does the Leupold Prismatic co-witness (either absolute or 1/3) well? If not then I could replace the gas block and pitch the irons.

What about speed at close range targets compared to an Aimpoint or similar clones (e.g., Vortex SPARC)??

If the Prismatic can handle the close as well as a 2 MOA red dot, or nearly so, then I'd think hard about getting one and making it my one and only 1x choice.

Any recommendations on mounts? The stock one or other?

Thank you,

Mike

I have no experience with the Leupold, but I have a Sparc. Can't say I'd recommend it. I had it for a short time and it developed a problem with not being able to turn off the dot. I do have some experience with the Trijicon ACOG Reflex and Tripower sights. Both are very well made but I don't know how they would compare with some of the others, though not needing batteries is a plus for me.

My rifle has a simple A2 sight setup with the gas block integral to the sights (16" M&P15 Sport). Does the Leupold Prismatic co-witness (either absolute or 1/3) well? If not then I could replace the gas block and pitch the irons.

What about speed at close range targets compared to an Aimpoint or similar clones (e.g., Vortex SPARC)??

If the Prismatic can handle the close as well as a 2 MOA red dot, or nearly so, then I'd think hard about getting one and making it my one and only 1x choice.

Thank you,

Mike

The Pris will not co witness like an Aimpoint or other RDS. The glass is ground and eye relief and scope shadow matters like a magnifying optic. It isn't a huge problem and a good cheek weld will help tremendously.

Its just as fast as any RDS for me and the DCD reticle is the way to go.

The stock mount is good and it comes with multiple spacers so you can set it up the right height for you.

Thank you,

Mike

The Pris will not co witness like an Aimpoint or other RDS. The glass is ground and eye relief and scope shadow matters like a magnifying optic. It isn't a huge problem and a good cheek weld will help tremendously.

The stock mount is good and it comes with multiple spacers so you can set it up the right height for you.

This! Add to it that the circles are very good reference for scope offset for very close shooting. While the reticle is not daylight illuminated, on overcast days the illum works great and the black reticle has never been a problem to see.

By the way, ShootfastRunfaster, nice job in Texas! Way to put the Pris to work! :cheers:

From what I understood the relief was 3-5in which is MUCH more forgiven then any variable magnification scopes. Am I incorrect?

Edited by 1911vm

Eye relief is 3 inches per the Leupold website. I find that you can move about 1/4" either way without getting too much shadow going. If you are 5" back you are playing chase the center with the reticle. You can get away with it up close, but not when you are trying to stretch the legs on your rifle.

DyNo! is right. If you are using a 200 yard zero, the 6 o-clock position on the inner circle would be somewhere between 600 and 700 yards depending on your BC and atmospherics. For long range it is somewhat useful as a reference to windage, you can use it to kind of cradle the target but there is still a lot of air below the target to the ring. I also use and 200 yard Zero, most of the time, and mostly use the circles at extreme close range. They are very good references for scope offset.

As for what Zero to use, whatever you are comfortable with will work just fine. Obviously there is some advantage to using a longer zero if you will be shooting a lot of shots long, but for most of the matches anything you get used to will be fine. DyNo! did some great testing last year that showed that the dials on the Pris are very repeatable too so if you do a little testing and know your ballistics you can zero at one range, preferably a longer range, and then dial a zero as you need it on different stages or matches.

I have a Prismatic on my 9MM AR. I use it for steel matches and 3 Gun matches that require pistol caliber carbines. As far as close up speed goes it gives up nothing to a RDS. For a 5.56 Tactical Irons I think the the Pris with the CM-R2 reticle would be the sight to beat.

Edited by T Bacus

I have a Prismatic on my 9MM AR. I use it for steel matches and 3 Gun matches that require pistol caliber carbines. As far as close up speed goes it gives up nothing to a RDS. For a 5.56 Tactical Irons I think the the Pris with the CM-R2 reticle would be the sight to beat.

I agree, I have begged the Custom Shop guys to do, Something, but unfortunately the twelve of us that use these things arent quite enough market for them to invest in the development needed to offer more reticles. Luckily it's pretty dang good as it is, and they will do a custom BDC dial for you if you want.

Oh yah, and there are rumors of something in the works, but you know how rumors go.

Edited by Casman

I wonder if this guy link could put some dots in one of these scope so you could have marks for 300 and 400 yards?

Just a thought :cheers: if Luepold sees enough people with a BDC maybe they will get it :sight:

I just sent him an email. Let's find out.

That would be SO COOL!

Thanks for the post stre-tch and the follow up Chuck!

I've used TK Lee for reticle work before on a couple of varmint scopes, had him do a fine crosshair with holdover dots. As far as I know the only way he can do it is to use actual wire for the crosshair with the dots attached to it. Perhaps he can overlay a wire reticle with holdover dots over the etched reticle.....? Be interesting to see what he says. The spacing between the dots would be *really* close at 1x.