Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unexpected Symptoms

Steve Anderson

January first was my last day as a smoker.

It's a very dumb habit that I picked up during the most stressful time of my life.

I always loved to smoke, but I hated being a smoker. I especially hated being a semi-professional athlete smoker. That's even dumber.

The main reason I decided to quit?

There was a young man, a boy really, at the Indiana production match that seemed very interested in the fact that I was an open grand master. (I wasn't shooting very well and Flex was shooting rings around me, so why he cared about me I do not know)

He was/is very new to the sport and doing very well, and as such was getting lots and lots of very well intentioned advice from everyone in sight.

As is the case with well intentioned advice, a lot of it was h@rsesh#t.

I pulled him aside and urged him to be careful who he listens to, and explained my aforementioned theory on well-intentioned advice, minus I think, the word "h@rsesh#t."

Now, of all of the smart people he listens to, why would he listen to the dumbass smoking the cigarette?

So, for that and all of the other good reasons, I quit smoking January 1st.

The physical stuff has been easy, believe it or not. I don't really miss them, and I don't have an active desire to set a piece of paper and leaves on fire and stick it in my mouth, so that's not a problem.

But I sure wish my brain would start working again. The fog is lifting, but it's still there.

And, I never expected depression, either. That part really sucks.

The good news is this: I'm probably not going insane. At least that's the conclusion I've come to after reading a bunch about nicotine and subsequent withdrawal. Believe it or not, the brain actually misses either the habit or the chemical enough that it goes through a mourning process. Crazy.

Crazy?

I guess we'll see.

Thanks for listening.

You are 28 days in and that is excellent. Keep up the good work.

I've never been a smoker but from what I've seen its tough to quit and you need a motivator. Shooting is your motivator.

My father-in-law quit cold turkey just over 25 years ago. His motivator? The grandkids.

Once when my daughters were age 5 and 3, they spent the weekend with the grandparents. My father-in-law overheard the oldest telling the youngest "You need to be nice to papa, he won't be with us much longer. He smokes."

Pretty good motivator.

Bill

Keep it up man. It is one of the toughest habits to quit. It is both physically and psychologically addictive. My dad quit in 1966 when mom told him he could have his smokes or his guns but not both. The first 6 months was a bit......... tense and I learned quickly that then was not really the time to push the envelope on what I could get away with. LOL

GREAT! I quit 15 years ago. Its not advice but one thing I found that I had to alter my behavior for quite a while to not do things that usually was something that triggered a smoke. Like after a meal. That ment I get right up and do something else instead of have a smoke and an after dinner drink or coffee. Sadly I could not even go near a favorite local watering hole for months because beer and cigaretts are like pancakces and syrup.

Even for a few years I found myself reaching for a pack in my pocket at work when I was stressed.

After this many years once in a while I still want one but there is no real urge to smoke one. Hard to explain.

Good luck and if you make it about 3-4 months you have it beat, then its a matter of will power not to backslide.

It is a mental game. Once I finally quit after about 12 years, I can pick them up on a night of drinking and put them back down the next day. However, I do not recommend this for the recently stopped smoker!

Once you can beat it mentally, you got it whooped. Best of luck.

I still dip copenhagen though...

It is a mental game. Once I finally quit after about 12 years, I can pick them up on a night of drinking and put them back down the next day. However, I do not recommend this for the recently stopped smoker!

Once you can beat it mentally, you got it whooped. Best of luck.

I still dip copenhagen though...

Hank, I could never be like you . When I quit I knew right away it was like being an alcoholic for me. I could never, ever have another "just one cigarette". That was 8 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't listen, and after a night of drinking I decided I was strong enough to have "1 cigarette". Which of course, became 1 "pack". Then within a week I was right back to a pack a day, every day.

It's a terrible addiction! And now days with the prices, I can't figure out how people can still afford to smoke! It's terrible. It's nasty, it's unhealthy, it's embarrassing, it's dangerous, and yet I still smoke. I know how awful it is and yet I still do it. Why? I don't know. Will power I guess. Time to get serious. :closedeyes:

I've been fighting this on and off for 20 years. Shit, its been 20 year?

I've manged to quit for years and then start again, usually under stress. I also gave it up again after new years, but I had 2 I've bummed from other people, both shooters .. because here is the kicker: The things that makes me smoke most is shooting matches. I've always smoked MORE during a match then any other time. Something about the ritual rhythm of a match maybe, but my toughest times when quitting are matches, and it isn't even the other people smoking around me, it isn't the nicotine, it is the ritual.

...it isn't the nicotine, it is the ritual.

I chewed tobacco for 17 years and I've been quit for nearly 4 years. When I chose to be smokers/dippers I changed my lifestyle to accomodate my habit. When I quit I needed to change my lifestyle to accomodate NOT having that habit. The nicotine leaves after a few days but the mental shit stays for much longer. I still get a craving now and then. It leaves after two minutes though. I really love the way dip tasted and made me feel but I like the way not dipping makes me feel much more.

Congratulations on quitting, Steve. Never quit being quit! :cheers:

I quit 22 years ago and still miss it sometimes, especially when I drink beer with smokers! The quitting part was pretty easy but it took a couple of years for the major urges to pass. After quitting I was ill-focused and a bit depressed too. So much of a smoker's time is spent thinking about the next smoke and aranging life around it. And there is something luxurious about holding a cig and inhaling, makes my salivate a little just thinking about it.

The good news is that most of this will pass w/in a few months. You've made it thorogh the hard part so don't be tempted to pick the habit up again.Believe me, the long term benefets from quitting significantly outweigh the short term issues. Hang tough!

Edited by sidnal

That depression statement really hit a nerve. Keep very close to your support people both here and in person. Morning,noon or night you got a problem send up a flare. Please. Congratulations on the best decision of your life. :cheers:

Sorry Jim, your PM came in on a very foggy day. :)

Keen, you were a big inspiration for me, did you relapse?

It's getting better every day...I don't have any urges or cravings, and my wife is being respectful about it, although she is still smoking. (less)

The biggest thing about the depression was that I was not expecting it, so I had no idea it was smoking related. I really thought I was going nuts. That's very scary, trust me. I didn't want to do ANYTHING but stare at the walls. Just knowing why snapped me right out of it. AND, having gone through it is a great reason not to smoke, because I know I'll eventually have to do it again or die a smoker. (one way or the other)

Thanks again guys...

SA

Good luck Steve. It's tough but worth it in the end.

I dipped the Copenhagen for 12 years and that was a hard one to break. For me it wasn't a depression but I was pretty irritable and snappy at my wife. I was pretty much a miserable SOB for a while.

But when I realized (like you did) why I was being miserable I just snapped out of it. Haven't touched the stuff (or snuff I guess) in over 10 years now.

Keep it up Steve. Looks like you have lots of people rooting for you.

Sorry Jim, your PM came in on a very foggy day. :)

Keen, you were a big inspiration for me, did you relapse?

It's getting better every day...I don't have any urges or cravings, and my wife is being respectful about it, although she is still smoking. (less)

The biggest thing about the depression was that I was not expecting it, so I had no idea it was smoking related. I really thought I was going nuts. That's very scary, trust me. I didn't want to do ANYTHING but stare at the walls. Just knowing why snapped me right out of it. AND, having gone through it is a great reason not to smoke, because I know I'll eventually have to do it again or die a smoker. (one way or the other)

Thanks again guys...

SA

Yes sir I did. :(

But in return you are a big inspiration for me now. So we'll need to talk about this tonight. I have yet to find the motivation I need to quit. I struggle with motivation factors sometimes. It all comes back to "Immediate Pay Value" for me. Quitting does not provide me with an *immediate* pay value. It's much more long term. That's what I need help with..... The *immediate* results. Same thing goes for excercise, among other things. I am NOT a very patient person. :ph34r:

Keen, you want immediate payback, keep doing CrossFit, and then try smoking and CrossFitting... surprise.gif

Steve, if you look at it in the context of jerking around all your neurotransmitter levels (which you're doing by quitting), the depression makes total sense. Give your body time to adjust and it will get better. It will probably take longer than you want it to, but it'll resolve itself ;)

Dave, you're totally right. As usual ... (except for the Bolen base pads! ) ;)

Soooo ... I had a nice long talk with Kyle and Steve last night and it all comes down to one simple question. Why do I smoke? And I can't come up with any good answers to that question. Because I don't like the taste, or the smell, or the cost, or the health risks associated with it. Sooooo what's so good about it? <_<

But I CAN come up with at least a dozen good answers to why I would rather NOT smoke.

So I made a decision that I'd rather be a GM Shooter, than a GM smoker, and I quit.

It's time to get serious, and see myself as a non-smoker again. Why I haven't been able to do that for the last year comes down to a self esteem issue. So I'm going to start working on that in the coming months.

BIG THANKS to Kyle and Steve for showing me what I couldn't see in myself. :cheers:

Edited by Chris Keen

I quit around 1985. At that point, I had been smoking for about 18 yrs and was over 2 packs a day. Granted, a lot of the ciggy just burned up in the ash tray, but when I found myself lighting one up when there was already one going, I knew it was time to quit.

To quit, I borrowed an idea from running. I'm not a runner. Don't like running, but in the Army, you had to do a certain amount of physical training and there was the yearly physical fitness test to groan through. I picked up the technique of setting short term goals, "I'll run 1/4 mile more then slow down.". The trick was to not slow down, just keeps telling yourself that you'd do just one more lap.

Same thing with smoking, all you have to do is not smoke 1 cigarette. "I won't smoke that now. I'll wait an hour." But as each hour passes...

Dave, you're totally right. As usual ... (except for the Bolen base pads! ) ;)

[

I agree.... with most[/] of that statement cheers.gif

Why do I smoke? And I can't come up with any good answers to that question. Because I don't like the taste, or the smell, or the cost, or the health risks associated with it. Sooooo what's so good about it? <_<

You do it cause it gives you a dopamine hit :) But that's not an excuse.... dry.gifcheers.gif

When I quit chewing I dropped my wife at the airport for a eight day business trip and before I left the airport I quit right there and that was four years ago the only draw back I think I fired all the guys that worked for me multiple times so it was a good thing that the wife was not around for my week of withdrawl. It was the best thing for me and my family at the time and I still to this day miss it and have dreams about it. Every time some one opens a can of chew around me the smell makes me think about it.

I smoked for 15 years or so until it dawned on me how messed up it was to crave a cig while surfing, paddle in just to smoke one or two, and then paddle back out. So I decided to quit…Heck, I quit several times…In fact, I got so good at quitting that I would go for months w/o a cig bum one from someone and start smoking again for a while just so I could go through the quitting process again. It was really pretty sick. I haven’t had a smoke in 6 years or so, and intend to never ever bum one again as that is my pitfall, I can’t have just one. It just doesn’t work that way for me. No problem being around those who smoke, but I just can’t do it myself. I really enjoyed the act of smoking and the buzz it gave, but hated the dragon breath, the stink on my cloths and car, the expense, the priority it took in my life, the stained teeth, and the horrible long term health effects. I also found that it is easy to get hooked on the gum, too.

If you are feeling strong and want a good laugh, check out this segment from the Frasier show where Bebe is quitting and describes what is so great about smoking. Funny stuff cuz it’s all true!

Best of luck to you, It is the right thing to do.

Edited by Bamboo

This article helped me alot:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Symptoms.html

Also, I shared with Chris last night that I set up a pretty good environment for my first week. I took a business trip... Smoking is not an option in planes, hotels and rental cars. (yeah right :)) But all of those meant I had a built in suppport system. That helped a bunch.

And I'm a stubborn SOB. When I decide to do something, it generally happens.

That's what it really comes down to.

Deciding. All the rest is Bullsh@t and deep down you know it.