Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Tuned Spartan vs. stock Springfield?

Revopop

I was poking around the Dawson site, and I saw that they're selling the Stainless Springfield loaded in 9mm for $854, or the competition ready 9mm Spartan for a little less. I don't love the look of the Dawson magwell on a single stack, and I've got an extra Techwell laying around. I do like the idea of buying a gun with trigger and reliability work already done though. The springfield will have a nicer finish and probably a better resale value, but if it needs trigger and/or reliability work that'll be more expense. What would you do in my position?

PS, if anybody knows a good source for a 1/2x28 threaded barrel too, please let me know.

I'm trying keep it under $1000 including mags, otherwise I'd probably getting a Trojan. I'm working a different job now, and though I like it a lot more than my old one, I don't make as much money as I used to, so a $250 difference between the Springfield and the Trojan is more to me than it was a few months ago.

Edited by Revopop

i was in your position about 4 months ago, i went with the spartan because it gave me more $$ to make the changes i wanted. so far im in this gun $1100 with mags, upgraded parts, trigger work, holsters etc.

dscn2241.jpg

I was poking around the Dawson site, and I saw that they're selling the... competition ready 9mm Spartan...

I do like the idea of buying a gun with trigger and reliability work already done though.

I need to clarify something: None of our Dawson Precision CRP guns have any internal modifications or trigger work done.

The only pistol we currently offer that service on is the Dawson Precision Super-Tuned STI Edge.

-Chet

I was poking around the Dawson site, and I saw that they're selling the... competition ready 9mm Spartan...

I do like the idea of buying a gun with trigger and reliability work already done though.

I need to clarify something: None of our Dawson Precision CRP guns have any internal modifications or trigger work done.

The only pistol we currently offer that service on is the Dawson Precision Super-Tuned STI Edge.

-Chet

OK, I must've just assumed that it was, thinking of the Super-Tuned Edge. That definitely helps make my decision, because I already have a spare Techwell and I don't think the big mag button is IDPA legal anyway.

Chet, Thanks. Always a good thing when a vendor replies on this Forum. Saved me a phone call to Dawson. A lot of people would buy the Hard Chromed Trojan or Spartan with the trigger work already done for Single Stack.

Bobby H.

The Stainless Springfield Loaded 9mm Target is better than the STIs. I own both STI & Springfield. My Stainless Springfield Loaded 9mm Target has 7K+ rounds down the pipe with 2 ejection failures and that was operator error. The only thing I had done was trigger job, bead blast and a set of VZ Slim Grips. Shoots accurately, always goes bang and looks great.

I have the Springer with 12k rounds through it. Works great, shoots great. I added the FO front sight, mawell, extended release button and trigger job. It is a gun I would buy again in a heart beat. Fit and finish are very good and nothing has loosened up - highly recommend.

I have also had many dealings with the folks at Dawson and they have always been great !

Edited by GoinHot

I would go for the Springer because of the ramped barrel and because I own one. It is in my avatar. I have over 50K rounds through mine with stock parts, except a SVI trigger and Dawson sight, I it just keeps running and running and it does 3/4" inch groups at 25yds.

Edited by toddrod