Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark Otto Load 2 Belt

Zukeep

Here is a thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135124

I own one.

I am an oddball. I an right handed but cross eye dominant. Therefore I shoot long guns as a lefty (shooting as a righty feels odd even holding it).

I flip the shotgun over with my firing hand, and load shells with my support hand.

This is really nice for me because I am right handed and retain my dexterity for loading shells.

I have the Otto belt. Love it. GRiTS loading is the way to go. I can load 8 in just over 7 seconds and I have not practiced that much. Just flip the shotgun over in your strong hand, I tuck the stock under my arm and use my weak hand to grip it, the 2 shells, rip it, (shells off the belt) tip the shells and then just slip them in.

I could never do the 4 shells in my weak hand, 3 maybe. This is a great way to load.

I load weakhand so I can keep my grip on the stock with my stronghand. I just roll the shotgun over and load.

Practice last night (shotgun mounted on shoulder, dryfire pull at buzzer start, load 8, dryfire pull with shotgun mounted again to end) yielded:

4 out of 5 runs less than 5.0s

1 out of 2 runs beat 4.8s

2 out of 6 runs right at/beat 4.5s (the other runs were just over or were fumbles)

5.0s is easy to beat now, and I've only practiced several short sessions. Once you get the hang of it, you got the feel down and it doesn't take long at all to knock any rust off.

I can load 4shell weakhand also, but not anywhere as fast....7 seconds for 8 at best.

Slugs are put on the far left of the Otto belt to separate them from birdshot shells, as I pull shells working from right to left on the belt.

Edited by AustinWolv

Sent you a PM :cheers:

My search yielded no results for Mark Otto Load 2, so I will start. For those using them, you using strong or weak hand? What type of par times? Where do you put your slugs, if needed?

Cool, I got it. I will give you a call tomorrow.

Love this forum. I post some general questions about a Mark Otto Load 2 belt. In addition to some good user feedback, guess who contacts me? Yep, Mark Otto. He gave me lots of advice and ideas an how best to use the belt. He even offered to help me ID the belt as a 'skinny' or 'big boy' if I send some pics. Just great to get that type of support on a product I bought from the classifieds!! Thanks, Mark!

• 3 weeks later...

I roll the stock on top of my shoulder and load strong hand. 8 rounds under 6 seconds easy this way.

Works best for me as well. I often get under 5 seconds for eight. I hate wearing the thing though and keep trying to get better at weak hand loading, but the best I have ever gotten was in the 10 second range for eight rounds.

Yeah, same here. Over the shoulder for me too. I can walk while loading better and while standing upright as well. Weak hand tends to make me hunch over a bit. I don't have an Otto belt, but have borrowed one from my buddy to work with. Solid 6sec weak hand reloads is still the goal, but this technique, regardless of platform brand, bridges the performance gap while you develop your weak hand reloading. I don't much like wearing the gear either and to be honest, of the three designs on the market, the Otto belt is my least favorite, because it's the least comfortable... for me. Can't argue with the cost advantage though. 22 shells would require 6 belt caddies, costing some $250. Then you start down the weak hand reload road, which can take years to develop. For that much money, one can be into a load two rig of some sort and bustin out 6sec reloads in a very short period of time. Almost as easy as ordering up a happy meal in the drive through.

"Yes, I'd like a burger, fries, coke and a sub six second reload please." "That'll be $150. Please pull up and pay at the window. Thankyou and have a nice match."

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in Denver next week Prison live is going to send me their for just One Week. I'm wondering if the Hotel I'm staying at will mind hearing my drill and air compressor running while building gear do you think that will make people think I’m weird? :goof:

Edited by superfly

• 3 weeks later...

Loading practice session. Generally, I start off with a few casual loads with no timer to warm up. Then, I keep moving the par down. Start at 5s to warm up, down to 4.7s, down to 4.5s.....

Video with some fumbles and good runs included:

Edited by AustinWolv

Just got my Otto 24 round rig and it looks like weak hand for me. I tried over the shoulder strong hand and, even though it's not supposed to be possible, I managed to slice my thumb on my C-Rums modified lifter. Just talented that way I guess. :closedeyes:

• 9 months later...

I'm considering changing from traditional weak hand to load 2 method.

It looks like a better method to me BUT how do you keep from burning the crap

out of your weak hand if you are loading strong hand with the butt on your shoulder??

I'm considering changing from traditional weak hand to load 2 method.

It looks like a better method to me BUT how do you keep from burning the crap

out of your weak hand if you are loading strong hand with the butt on your shoulder??

Hi Dink,

If you are presently loading 'traditional' weak hand now.......you can try to load 2 up either way with no investment at all. Just line the shells up on a heavy cloth laying on your table. Atleast you can get an idea which way you will eventually want to go. I personally have been a weak loader so staying that way when doing to the 2 up was pretty natural for me. Of course, your milaeage may vary.....but there are also so many different ways to attach the 2 up loading systems to your gear (Belt, chest rig, MOLLE, etc....) that you may even get a good idea just how you may end up with an attachment method of the shell holders you end up getting.

Bottom line, there are allot of options out there from a few different vendors, they all have some pretty good points and maybe some others that are not so good for your situation. Research and questions are always a good thing and I am sure any of the companies out there will be more than happy to help you....we are all just a phone call or email message away.

And Mark is a good guy.....he'll talk with ya....if he's out of prison. :roflol:

Tim

Sorry...had to say it, and those that know...get it.

Edited by TRUBL