Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting sectional/area championship matches outside your area

stein

I'm considering doing some traveling this year to make some larger USPSA matches. What's everyone's opinion on shooting sectional and area matches outside of your area? Is it more appropriate to leave the slots for the local shooters?

blink.gif Heck no! If the locals want to shoot they can sign up just like everybody else. Most of the guys who shoot a lot of majors will sign up early enough to get in to as many as they can.

Hey, wait a minute! Yea, yea, leave the slots for the "locals". I'll have a better shot at getting a slot. :lol:

I'm currently signed up for one out of state sectional and will be signing up for another once they post the application. So if you ask me I see nothing wrong with out of state folks going to them and I don't mind them coming to the MS Classic, my new home.

If the match administration think that to be an issue, they can manage that in a few ways. (opening the registration early for members of an Area or Section, for instance)

So, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most matches want higher participation numbers.

I have traveled to an shot several areas, states etc. And I can tell you as the match director and section coordinator for Indiana I want as many people that want to come and shoot to come.

We hosted 283 competitors from all over the US and a couple of Canadians

I have traveled to an shot several areas, states etc. And I can tell you as the match director and section coordinator for Indiana I want as many people that want to come and shoot to come.

I agree with Jake. I have shot his match the last two years, he and his staff do a wonderful job if you can get to Indiana it is a great match.

Here's my take FWIW. The Area matches should be for the Area members. Not exclusivley, but if you live in the area you should have reasonable opportunity to get into your Area match. We've opened registration and guaranteed entry to Area members until a certain cutoff date, normally 4-5 months before the match. After that you're on your own. We've never had an issue before with overselling A1 so it really wasn't much of an issue. We've been doing A1 this way since around 2003 when I helped out with my first match. Basically we gave several months for the A1 members who wanted to go to send in their registration. After that we started accepting A2, A3 etc. members. While I think area members should be able to get in I also see the benefit of having shooters from outside the area in as well. It increases the level of competition and gets that big match feel.

All of you are invited to come shoot the Western Pennsylvania Section Championship match this year! We don't care where you are from, come on down!

The nice part about shooting different section or area matches is that you get a different type of match at every one. Shoot your own local clubs long enough and you get a good feel for what that club likes to do and how it works. Let that club do a section match and it is an expansion of what they may usually do, with the occasional wrinkle thrown in.

But go to an entirely different section or area and you get a nice shooting challenge that may go beyond what you experience with your own.

That, and you learn some things you can take back and apply to your own matches.

Edited by vluc

All of you are invited to come shoot the Western Pennsylvania Section Championship match this year! We don't care where you are from, come on down!

The nice part about shooting different section or area matches is that you get a different type of match at every one. Shoot your own local clubs long enough and you get a good feel for what that club likes to do and how it works. Let that club do a section match and it is an expansion of what they may usually do, with the occasional wrinkle thrown in.

But go to an entirely different section or area and you get a nice shooting challenge that may go beyond what you experience with your own.

That, and you learn some things you can take back and apply to your own matches.

Do you have a date and location yet?

Do you have a date and location yet?

Hollidaysburg, looking like June so we do not conflict with the Area match, but date is not set in stone yet.

I wish they would set a date now so I don't have to scramble for time off of work later on!!!!!!!!!

They are trying! Have to have the club meetings to see if the match conflicts with any other events at the facility, have to see what other majors may be going on so as to maximize attendance. Once we know, you will know!

Patience young padawan....

I wish they would set a date now so I don't have to scramble for time off of work later on!!!!!!!!!

They are trying! Have to have the club meetings to see if the match conflicts with any other events at the facility, have to see what other majors may be going on so as to maximize attendance. Once we know, you will know!

Patience young padawan....

Yes Jedi Knight...sir.

Not only do I shoot this match, I work it!! Best and largest attended State match several years running. Come and shoot this one. Everyone is welcome!! The more the better.