Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob Question: He-Man vs Heavy Metal

Is there any difference, or just different names for the same thing?

Just two ways to describe the same division.

The father of He-Man Captain Eddie Rhodes (RIP) employed the term He-Man, it is my fault that Heavy Metal came into use as I coined

that term in an article I penned several years ago.

I will state that it ought to be ONE Division!

20 round 308 Iron or 1x Optic

12 Gauge PUMP

Any 10 round 45ACP.

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

It began as He-Man at Rocky Mountain 3-Gun.

In my opinion, other matches changed the name to Heavy Metal to be more politically correct.

But true Heavy Metal is .308 and .45. Some matches, like Superstition allow a semi-auto shotgun in Heavy Metal Scope.

He-Man is .308, .45 and pump shotgun!

There's a "Heavy Tactical" but if I say that too loud, JJ will start ranting. Usually, heavy tactical just means ,308 and you can shoot a 9mm and a semi auto. That got started at DPMS's match...I think Randy wanted to sell more .308's when they started producing more of them, and there were people who wanted to shoot a big rifle, but didn't want to shoot the .45 or the pump. (JJ feels that this is a silly division and has fragmented .308 shooters to the point of nearly killing true He-Man!) But, if you like shooting true He-Man...check out the He-Man National Championship June 2-3 at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM! http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

In general, He-Man and True Heavy Metal have the same equipment...just the name has been changed...just 'cause. :devil:

Denise (I would have been happy to be top Lady He-Man...but, the guns are too big and heavy for me. :blink: )

In He-Man, the cod piece is mandatory. At least that's what Denise told me when I considered shooting Rocky Mountain....which is why I stick w/ Heavy Metal matches....

He-mantoy83.jpg

Edited by Bryan 45

In He-Man, the cod piece is mandatory. At least that's what Denise told me when I considered shooting Rocky Mountain....which is why I stick w/ Heavy Metal matches....

He-mantoy83.jpg

If I only knew how to super-impose other photos (including of you) into the He-Man photo...oh what fun I could have.

He-mantoy83.jpg

If I only knew how to super-impose other photos (including of you) into the He-Man photo...oh what fun I could have.

The smile is the same , but the hair is a different color.

I shoot 308 just enuf to compensate for my inadequate stature as a man... "What give me back my phone woman...". Sorry Yall she stole my phone.

And here I thought it was because you loved your single stack .45 so much and didn't want to play with the plastic fantastic 9mms and their bottomless magazines.

I thought there were some matches that had a He-Man division which required you to carry all of your gear on your person at all times.

That's the Trooper division.

I knew that. Many things I know get buried so deeply in my crowded brain that my conscious mind is temporarily unable to find them, and other things just fall completely out when it gets too crowded. Its a mess up there, and getting worse.

He-mantoy83.jpg

The cod piece is exactly why I would want to shoot He-Man... :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

It began as He-Man at Rocky Mountain 3-Gun.

In my opinion, other matches changed the name to Heavy Metal to be more politically correct.

But true Heavy Metal is .308 and .45. Some matches, like Superstition allow a semi-auto shotgun in Heavy Metal Scope.

He-Man is .308, .45 and pump shotgun!

There's a "Heavy Tactical" but if I say that too loud, JJ will start ranting. Usually, heavy tactical just means ,308 and you can shoot a 9mm and a semi auto. That got started at DPMS's match...I think Randy wanted to sell more .308's when they started producing more of them, and there were people who wanted to shoot a big rifle, but didn't want to shoot the .45 or the pump. (JJ feels that this is a silly division and has fragmented .308 shooters to the point of nearly killing true He-Man!) But, if you like shooting true He-Man...check out the He-Man National Championship June 2-3 at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM! http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

In general, He-Man and True Heavy Metal have the same equipment...just the name has been changed...just 'cause. :devil:

Denise (I would have been happy to be top Lady He-Man...but, the guns are too big and heavy for me. :blink: )

I came back to revisit this thread after LaRue (I competed in WWII Division, because I'm a super masochist working on a history degree). I re-read the rules and was shocked to discovered that the LaRue folks actually commit three heresies in what they call "Tactical-Heavy"

1).45 pistol not required

2) Pump shotgun not required

3) The shotgun isn't even required to be 12 gauge.

I may send Sheldon a message (once he's had a chance to decompress) asking if'n he would consider upgrading to full He-Man next year.

The orriginal He-Man rules stated a .308 (7.62X51mm) caliber rifle or bigger, a 10 round .45 (could be any .45) and a 12 gage shotgun (NOTICE: NO WHERE DID IT SAY PUMP). After the first year everyone that was shooting the division came to us and said they wanted it to be a "pump shotgun". Since those guys were the ones activly shooting the division I went ahead and changed it to pump shotgun for the 2003 RM3G. In retrospect, I wish I never had, as after allowing that one little change, it became the most common division to have it's rules "messed around with" by everyone and his dog when it came to matches. I have changed it back to the orriginal rules for the Oklahoma City Gun Club Matches, and if we ever do a State match those will be the He-Man rules in effect.

I would also like to point out that OKCGC 3-gun has been the inovater of several really good rules like the 1X optic in Limited, which was picked up by USPSA and other matches, and Magazine fed shotguns in "tactical" divisions as long as they meet the rules of that division. I can also state that we will never shoot at L.P. record jacket type targets ( Little dig at My amigo Jesse :D )