Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR22 Training

fueddy

Topic says it all really. I shoot on my day off at my local-ish club where we have a 100yrd range,since its a Thursday I can setup just about anything I need to. I've been shooting my 22kit at standard poppers and these 3inch discs at close range but want to work on more.

What do you guys think would be the best use of my time/ammo? Working on shotgun with these plates at 10-15yrds and hoser rifle, but stuck on what to do for challenging rifle.

I've got walls and barrels that I can use too. Throw out some ideas. Thanks

I've started practicing with 3/8 scale 22lr silhouette targets (ram, pig, turkey, chicken) at 50 yds with my NC22. The rams get shot offhand and the rest get shot from various field positions. The chickens at 1x are a good visual simulation of a long range target.

Thats a neat spin for training for sure :) Going to get some of the 1x2 sticks for the pistol target stands and cut different lengths and start at 30yrds and move back till it a headache and start there ;)

Do you find .22LR training to be all that effective? Because of the low recoil, I found it too easy to shoot--it didn't help me improve where I need improvement, which is on the CQB paper stuff and which seems to require more recoil management on my part.

I see guys running airsoft for practice, and it seems pretty clear that they're benefiting somehow, because their games are so much better than mine, but what is it that they're improving by using airsoft/.22LR? Transitions, I'm guessing, but maybe other areas?

At Close up stuff recoil shouldn't be that much of a n issue unless you are running without a comp. I use my .22 kit to practice awkward position shooting, and shooting offhand at small'ish targets.

I'm starting to think that 22 versions of your competition pistol and rifle may be two of the best investments to make for training. One of my primary issues currently (the list is long, but this one is at the top) is coming off the target, moving to the next shooting position, and acquiring the next target. Rather than running with controlled abandon, I'm kind of shuffling from position to position, and it's costing me.

Last Friday I was able to set up a couple of targets, paint some shooting boxes on the ground, and use my iPhone as a timer to work on this with both handgun and rifle. It was pretty eye opening, and really helped me understand what I could do and how fast I could move. I went through about 300 rounds for a whopping $15 and a couple of used cardboard targets. You can't beat that with a stick.

I enjoyed it so much with my 10/22 that I'm trying to figure out how to swing a CMMG .22 upper that would duplicate what I use in 3-gun.

Hoser stuff doesn't bother me but small targets in strange positions is what iam working on the most. Offhand,kneeling through ports. Sideways prone whatever seems weird iam doing till its normal lol 22lr is so cheap its laugh-able to me and its all about trigger time right? ;-)

I enjoyed it so much with my 10/22 that I'm trying to figure out how to swing a CMMG .22 upper that would duplicate what I use in 3-gun.

I love my NC22 and it's been flawless for me. It's a pretty close match to my 3 gun upper (top).

IMAG0083-1.jpg

I guess my comp isn't as good as it needs to be, because I'm definitely having to hold the foregrip steadier to make the second A-zone hit in a double-tap.

Good point on the small targets at strange positions and angles thing. Getting into proper positions is actually one of my weaknesses. Thanks!

For those running dedicated 22 uppers, what are you doing about your optic? Swapping the optic off your competition rifle and then back when you finish? Are yoi noticing any POI shift?

Hey guys,

I'm one of the firm believers in 22s for practice. I run SS and I have a wilson combat 22 set up (almost) exactly the same. Granted, I used some cheaper parts and a smaller magwell, but the trigger time translates. Plus it's one platform. I recently set up an AR with the same stock, same tube, same mount, same aftermarket trigger, but running a different scope. I'm having a hard time paying $800 for another TR 24. I have the same 1x4 (a DMS) but it's good practice, mag changes, etc.

Plus around here there are a lot of 22 only matches, so the pistol and the rifle help me tear it up!

The rifle paid itself off in the first 2k rounds I shot out of it, which was really quicker than I thought it would be.

For those running dedicated 22 uppers, what are you doing about your optic? Swapping the optic off your competition rifle and then back when you finish? Are yoi noticing any POI shift?

I'm switching back and forth right now and do have a big POI change. I had been wanting to get away from the exposed turrets on my Vortex so went ahead and ordered the new Viper HS. The old PST will get permanently installed on the NC22 when the new scope arrives. It will be nice to be able to shoot both uppers at one practice session.

I started shooting again a couple of months ago, after a break of over 3 years. First local match, that I shot was humbling, to say the least. I bought a tacsol 1911 22 upper and my game is coming back around. I can run a lot of 22 for the cost of centerfire and mucho trigger time, is what leads to improvement. YMMV

Is that an XL handguard on an 18" Nordic? if so, looks just like mine!

:-)

Mick

I love my NC22 and it's been flawless for me. It's a pretty close match to my 3 gun upper (top).

IMAG0083-1.jpg

Is that an XL handguard on an 18" Nordic? if so, looks just like mine!

:-)

Mick

Sure is. Good eye! 200 more rounds through it today. I combined some wind sprints and small targets at 50 yards.

I'm switching back and forth right now and do have a big POI change. I had been wanting to get away from the exposed turrets on my Vortex so went ahead and ordered the new Viper HS. The old PST will get permanently installed on the NC22 when the new scope arrives. It will be nice to be able to shoot both uppers at one practice session.

I bought a $150 scope that has a reticle simliar to my competition upper and dedicated it to my 22 upper. I use the cheap 22 swinging targets from Wal-Mart and shoot them at 50 yards under speed

I shoot a 22upper for both my AR15 and 1911. I've never much worried about recoail and target aquisitio is the same no matter what you use. shooting 22rf WILL help your game no matter what disipline you shoot. I've been shooting Ruger Rimfire now for 2 years and when I get back into 3 gun.....I'll be a better shooter than I was when I left thegame.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to get an 22 upper. I currently run a S&W MP .22 rimfire but the feel is just not the same. I even have a JP trigger installed. The unusual or unexpected results when i shoot my rimfire along with my 223 in a local match. ( shots not past 25M) my over all times are within 2 seconds and this is consistent over 10 matches. If i have a purpose built rimfire will i run it faster?

at the pistol range distances I have available.... my CMMG dedicated upper with Trijicon reflex on my game gun lower...use the left & right side transitions on Bianchi barricade (Kyle Lamb, Viking Tactics vid)....then Highsmith Rifle drill (VTac)for some cardio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reduced size targets are available

C&M Target Systems

P.O. Box 67913

Albuquerque,NM 87193-7913

We use these for 100 yard 3Gun matches.

I got a pack of these in my prize bag at the NW Multigun Challenge last summer. Great targets! made it easy to set up intricate stages in a limited area.

Edited by Beers78n9

I've got a JPNC22 upper and a Benny Hill upper, both with 18" barrels. For short range hoser practice, my splits are very similar for both uppers. Just shows how well the Benny Hill comp really works. For short range stuff, I've mostly been practicing 7 yard Bill drills and target transitions.

I mostly practice at my local 25 yard indoor range, however the local 3-Gun competition has targets out to 400+ yards. So for long distance practice, I use the Target Express program to print out reduced scale targets: http://www.mcw-tech.com/targetexpress/

I then zero my JPNC22 upper to have the same point of impact as my Benny Hill upper, 1.19" low at 25 yards. Then I scale the target for distance and draw an outline above or below the target to simulate the hold over and point of impact.

For example, with an 18” BBL, scope height = 2.6”, 55 gr bullet with muzzle vel = 3285 fps, and 50 yd zero, theoretical bullet drop at 300 yards is -3.07” which is equivalent to -0.3 mills. Meaning you have to hold over +0.3mills in order to hit the center of the target.

At 25 yards, bullet drop is -1.19” or -1.3 mills. Therefore if you use the 300 yard hold over at 25 yards the bullet should impact at 0.9” below the center of the target: (-1.3 mills + 0.3mills = -1.0 mills). At 25 yards, -1.0 mills = -0.9”.

So I would scale my 300 yard target for 25 yards put a light target outline 0.9” below the actual target. Depending on how big the actual target is, the target and the offset outline could intersect. If I hit the offset outline at 25 yards then I know I had the correct hold over for a simulated 300 yard target.