Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI

Qstick

I ordered a frame from STI several weeks ago and at the time they were 2-3 weeks to deliver it. I waited and waited and called last week to see what the timeframe was, and they told me it was shipped and my FFL should receive it in a couple days. Another week went by so today I sent an email inquiry about the status of my order. They replied saying that a part broke in their CNC machine that took 3 days to get the replacement, and that it would be at least 2 weeks to get my frame. When I asked about getting a refund so I could buy a frame from an online vendor that had them in stock, they told me I had to pay a 15% restocking fee for my frame that doesn't exist. :angry::angry::angry:

Now, I'm going to pay the damn fee just so I can get the ball rolling to get the new gun built. I strongly urge anyone getting something from STI to do it through a vendor, as dealing direct with the factory has proven to be a lousy experience.

Whewwww - had to vent, I think I might feel a bit better.

Zach

I am marking my calender. In the four years I have read forums, this is the first bad post I have ever seen about STI customer service on any board. All the times I call them they fall all over themselves to help me. They even sent me a bag of pins when the cross pin in the Bomar sight in my Trojan sheared off.

I've owned and know of a number of sti product that shouldn't have even left the plant. A number of people that I shoot with and see at the range were I work the guns go full auto, and are sent back a couple times come back the same way.

Customer service has to be more than just sending a bag of pins for a part that shouldn't have broken in the first place.

I was told by STI in so many words that they make ordering from them difficult because they WANT people to go through a supplier, like Brownells, SSI, Brazos or whomever.

I go through them when I need something that Brownells doesn't stock, and every order has NEVER been smooth NOR fast. But I think they made it clear why....small orders are not a priority. Oh well....

I've owned and know of a number of sti product that shouldn't have even left the plant. A number of people that I shoot with and see at the range were I work the guns go full auto, and are sent back a couple times come back the same way.

Customer service has to be more than just sending a bag of pins for a part that shouldn't have broken in the first place.

Perhaps STI has bit off more than they can chew.

I'll pile on here, too, though I might just be talking about some of the same products that Chris mentioned, maybe even bought one of the rejects :(

Most recently, a gun came back a third time (much later than promised) from STI having had the frame and barrel replaced. This gun was in for repair due to issues relating to the hammer following. The trigger was horrid with major interference between the hammer and sear. How this one made it out the door is beyond me. This gun was unshootable as delivered. Is it too much trouble to adjust an overtravel screw?

I'm still waiting for the Edge I ordered in January and am flat-out scared thinking about whether or not it'll work. Might just sell it, unfired, and get a SVI.

BTW, I got a bag of pins for my broken Trojan sight, too.

call bob at brazos, not only will he give you the frame he can make you the complete pistol. hell if you have not bought a top end yet, just get one of bobs ready to shoot sti pistols :)

Might not have needed those pins if it WAS a BoMar and not a copy.

Think again. And he might have needed some spare elevation screws and springs if it were a Bo-Mar.

Good point. BoMars aren't above breaking the hinge pin either. At least STI's replacement pin is supposed to be an improved part. If I ever do a custom blaster I'll probably install Heinies. One less thing to worry about.

They even sent me a bag of pins when the cross pin in the Bomar sight in my Trojan sheared off.

Might not have needed those pins if it WAS a BoMar and not a copy.

Word at my range is tose pins are notorious for shearing in EVERYBODY's "Bomar style" sight and the reason is pure physics (shear force). The dumb thing is the steel in the pins does not need to be so hard because it is not subject to rubbing wear. I bought a bright steel finishing nail the same diameter and fabricated a new pin that is indestructable. It will still be there after the cockroaches have died out.

Hmmm....

Ordered a slide/frame fit with a custom serial number and had it in hand two months later.

I bought 18 brand new (LE) mags last year, and was unhappy about the new followers. They gave me 18 new (old style) followers, no questions asked.

I cracked a grip, and they replaced that worn-out part with a brand new one, no charge.

A local shooter cracked the forward lug on his aluminum frame. Dave and Don asked to see it, as it was only the second one...ever...that had broken. Replaced at no charge? Naturally.

I watched Don in action at Area 4...handing out pins like they were party favors and refusing payment.

Methinks, perhaps, that you need to call and ask for Don. Explain to him that you are very unhappy. I have yet to meet an STI employee that I didn't get along with, but Don is just something else. Dave and his wife are good folks, and they hire the same.

I can't say that about SV.

Alex

Wakal,

I can't believe that we are even talking about the same people. My experiences have been the exact opposite of yours.

Recently a member of our Club purchased 2 new, top of the line, STI pistols and immediately had a major problem with one of them. He spoke to Dave at the Florida Open and Dave promised to handle the problem at no charge and asked that he contact him, in a few days, when he returned to Texas. When my buddy called him, the following week, and Dave reneged on the offer. He only made the offer to "save face" in front of the rest of the shooters at the Open.

I have NEVER had a single problem with Sandy or Tami, they are both first class folks.

Leo

Leo,

I guess it comes down to who is talking to whom. Dave, Pauletta and Don are all first rate with us. You are the first person I've talked to who's had a positive experience with SVI. :wacko:

Liota

This seems to be fast becoming an STI vs SVI debate it seems ..... <_<

My two cents: both are great people, and make excellent products. Both stand behind their products. I'm sure there are occasions where both have dropped the ball, but if anyone has had MAJOR issues with either, its probably due to talking to the wrong person at the wrong time.

I have had issues with the timeliness of getting some SV parts shipped, but they are excellent products.

I have had issues with STI products needing replacement ocassionally, but they have always been very timely.

Both have always offered to take care the problem when explained correctly. I have STI guns with SV parts, and an SV gun with STI parts..... its all the same to me...... the only reason I lean towards STI is that they sponsor alot more matches than SV, and ALWAYS show up at them to "show the flag". STI was at Area 4 - SV (even though from TX) was not. ;)

Liota, sfinney:

This was Qstick's thread and his choice of topic. He and BrianH chose to relate their experiences with STI and that is their prerogative. Alex chose to insert his opposing viewpoint and tossed in an uncalled-for slam at SV in the process. My experiences are different than his, or possibly yours, but are factual. I did not start an STI vs SV thread and merely intended to rebut his comment.

To say that I am the only person on the board with a positive experience from SV is just incorrect.

Leo

To say that I am the only person on the board with a positive experience from SV is just incorrect.

Leo

I agree, L9x25, that anyone who makes a blanket statement about "You are the first person I've talked to who's had a positive experience with SVI" must live a sheltered life indeed. Maybe they should talk to more shooters who actually shoot them.

In any case, each to his own. I've had nothing but positive experiences with both of them.

Liota, sfinney:

This was Qstick's thread and his choice of topic. He and BrianH chose to relate their experiences with STI and that is their prerogative. Alex chose to insert his opposing viewpoint and tossed in an uncalled-for slam at SV in the process. My experiences are different than his, or possibly yours, but are factual. I did not start an STI vs SV thread and merely intended to rebut his comment.

Leo

Leo,

Different people have different experiences.

No negative statements intended.

Liota