Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

blowing them off on stage 3 was the way to go in single stack, eliminated a reload and position

there was not a dt on 5, it was maxtrap

thanks for the clarification on stage 5. As you were typing that I was looking at your video because I couldn't remember and updating my post.

I think stage 3 is one of those somewhat rare ones where it would have been advantageous, at least to skip one (maybe not both, depending on division, etc). And like I said, at least one of those on 3, if not both, shouldn't have been NPMs. Maybe that's why skipping them didn't occur to me since during our walkthough I saw several folks planning on getting them elsewhere...

It was just the blanket statement that jumped out at me...

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, I'm blaming RVB for the 5 thing. :roflol:

trusting MY memory was YOUR first mistake. :devil: I knew there was a reason I like to video the matches. This weekend, I just couldn't remember what it was, so I didn't bother... :blink:

-rvb

I am entitled to make blanket statements about drop turners. The guys that beat me could have beaten me worse by skipping the drop turners. Perhaps some that did not beat me could have beaten me had they blown off the drop turners.

For example if Alex can shoot all of them in 19.41 with the extra reload and transitions and splits he could have been faster still. I am thinking he could have saved two seconds at least and gained points in the overall with the higher hit factor.

RVB did you run back through the timer to see what your time would have been on the speed shoot? How much did the conscious thought cost you in recognizing if the DT was there to shoot when you got there? It take conscious thought to recognize that and make a decision.

You guys keep shooting them and I will not shoot them and we'll see how it goes.

Stage 4:

Camera guy was a little slow so the good steel shooting is not on here.

-A little slow getting the shooting started in position 2.

-I did not back out of position 3 like I had planned to do.

-In the last position I wanted to go two static paper before the bobber but decided against it. Played it safe. I think that was wise in this case.

Stage 5:

+ I liked the plan, but could have been more aggressive on the trigger in position one after the first target. Big transition at the end was a bit slow and I was slow to get moving.

+ Shot aggressively through the door.

- 2 deltas on the move following the door and that is ridiculous.

- The last 8 shots seemed laborious as I was doing it. They were slow and it was not because of fear of the hardcover.

Stage 6:

Overall down to many points. Burl made the comment that is seemed like a lot of charlies and deltas and he was spot on. I do not shoot this gun as well, and I want to improve that.

-Shot one delta from the first position while in nice stable position.

-I toyed with the idea of shooting all 11 rounds in the gun from position 2, but decided against it. I know the swinger was slow but I did not want to pull off a target being overly aggressive. It is painful to watch the video standing there waiting on the swinger.

+Rolled through the shooting of the steel plate. I hope to be a badass someday when I grow up. Problem is by then the rest of my reflexes and balance will be gone.

-I did not back out of the third position as aggressively as I planned.

Stage 7:

- I hated this stage from the start. It was hard to do it without standing reloads and many of the shots were very challenging.

- I planned to shoot three shots at the heads of the top target in each corner. Shooting the head meant not danger of hitting the no shoot and I could go for an A. Did not need the extra shots but did not have confidence of getting the hits.

- I had two delta on the wide open target on the bottom target in one corner, and that was ridiculous. I have to work on shot calling and accuracy. That is a never ending journey.

-I could have shot on the move a little more but decided not to do so because it was not going well earlier.

Stage 8:

-1 of 2 examples of bad steel shooting in the match.

-Points thrown away here. Cannot win matches on speed shoots but it sure can be lost on them.

Stage 9:

-The other piss poor example of steel shooting.

- Plus a head up the ass momment while keeping my foot on the pad while shooting two shots, and then taking the time to cuss about it while the clock was still running.

Stage 10:

+Pretty proud of this shooting. I saw the sights lift on every shot. Only three times were faster than me and I finished ahead of two of thos guys because of all the points. Shot this one old school clean. (all A's)

+ Regular practice and regular drill on SHO and WHO seems to be paying off here at the end of the season.

I need to keep this up for next season.

Stage 1:

I had three deltas on this stage one on the swinger and one on the move going into position 2 and the other was in position 2 as well. Alphas instead is a huge swinger here. There seems to be a theme developing here. I needed more Alphas and I typically shoot more Alphas.

-Could have run harder to first position.

-1 delta on the swinger and not because I was "chasing it." Thanks to Jake for making me have doubts about the plan.

-Did not get in to the last position smoothly.

Stage 2:

-Shot better backing up on the move. No deltas but 9 charlies for targets that were too close for charlies. Get Alphas on the close ones. This is essential and I did not do it.

-Steel arrays went well.

-Made up a delta with an Alpha on the second to last target. Good shot calling.

-overall not aggressive enough on the trigger on the open targets.

I have to work on shooting on the move. I also want to have no mikes and I did that but there is more to accuracy than no mikes.

Edited by Coach

On stage 3, the D/T on the right should not have been NPMs. It was visible from the right port, and many on my squad were taking it from there. [/size]

Are you trying to say that you were able to see the brown side of the d/t target from the right window?

I also find it interesting that so many people 1) got a procedural on stage 9 and 2) even bothered to wait for that max trap. My best stage was stage 9. I did not step on that pad on the clock. I shot the steel, two head shots at the max trap targets, the other steel and then the closer paper targets in 7.80 (down 2 points for 1 B and 1 C). I'm a C class shooter, finished 29th in SS in the match, and got 14th place on that stage. Somehow I think that some of the better shooters were giving something up by not trying it. It was late in the day for me and I'd already taken far too many penalties to be in the running even for my class, so I took the gamble. I'm surprised to hear so many others didn't at least try it.

Edited by twodownzero

I am entitled to make blanket statements about drop turners. The guys that beat me could have beaten me worse by skipping the drop turners. Perhaps some that did not beat me could have beaten me had they blown off the drop turners.

You're entitled to say the sky is green, too. :sight::devil:

Sometimes it is better to skip them. Stage 3 was probably a good example, especially since you had to move between the activator and D/Ts. edit: Crunching the #s it depends on what assumptions I make re points given up and time lost whether it results in a higher or lower HF. I can make it look better or worse depending on how I play with the numbers. I'd have to run it both ways to know what the real time impact is.

RVB did you run back through the timer to see what your time would have been on the speed shoot? How much did the conscious thought cost you in recognizing if the DT was there to shoot when you got there? It take conscious thought to recognize that and make a decision.

No, I did not look at the timer. As soon as I called the shots on the max trap, I snapped to the D/T and was on the trigger. Eyes leading the gun and all so the decision was made before the gun got there. I saw somewhat of a sight/gun picture, but it was mostly a target focus. I called hits on brown and was "pretty sure" they were on there. It was ragged edge of my ability to make hits. At worst, with my C/D hits, it was a wash; it had the opportunity to be an improvement if I had made better hits.

You guys keep shooting them and I will not shoot them and we'll see how it goes.

I came out ahead on stage 8, you on stage 3. So should we skip them? "It depends." :roflol:

Edited by rvb

On stage 3, the D/T on the right should not have been NPMs. It was visible from the right port, and many on my squad were taking it from there. [/size]

Are you trying to say that you were able to see the brown side of the d/t target from the right window?

I also find it interesting that so many people 1) got a procedural on stage 9 and 2) even bothered to wait for that max trap. My best stage was stage 9. I did not step on that pad on the clock. I shot the steel, two head shots at the max trap targets, the other steel and then the closer paper targets in 7.80 (down 2 points for 1 B and 1 C). I'm a C class shooter, finished 29th in SS in the match, and got 14th place on that stage. Somehow I think that some of the better shooters were giving something up by not trying it. It was late in the day for me and I'd already taken far too many penalties to be in the running even for my class, so I took the gamble. I'm surprised to hear so many others didn't at least try it.

I never looked at it because it didn't fit w/ my reload plan. But I'm pretty sure that's what they were doing. It may have been one of the center statics. I'm not 100% sure. But IIRC (again, my memory sucks), they were hitting the center statics from the center/left port and got the right D/T from the port. Observed from the peanut gallery, not the timer.

On 9, I just stepped on the pad the instant the buzzer went off and then moved my foot back in, and by the time I had my gun indexed the target was wide open. I don't recal waiting. and I could go faster on the lower A w/ less risk to getting the N/S (and I got As vs more probable Bs on the head).

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I worked stage 3 all day Sunday and for 1 squad on Saturday.

I didn't see anyone take the right drop turner through the far right hand port.

It probably could have been done if you stuck your upper body through the port and leaned way out past the barrels.

A lot of the SS shooters shot the outside targets and then went straight to steel and activators in the middle.

8) Drop turners: I did not shoot a drop turner in the whole match. I decided long ago that in limited capacity division drop turners are stupid. If it saves me time and a reload why do it? Everyone forgets that the math used to figure drop turners always counts on Alphas. It is easy to shoot charlies and deltas on these targets and that is seldom taken into account. On stage three I only used three mags because of blowing off the drop turners. Alex Gutt won the match and had a time of 19.41 on the stage. I was 20.01 but with few points. I finished 4th on the stage. There was a huddle of people discussing my plan among themselves and they just could not see leaving 20 points behind. I would say it worked out for me and for Jake as he did the same thing in SS. Putting a drop turner up so that there is enough to shoot while on that array is tough. Many times blowing them off is the thing to do in Production and single stack. (uncertain about the Amish world of revolver)

In the Amish lead chucker world definately should have blown the D/T off in an 8rd COF, I learned this lesson the hard way on stage 8(my math sucks). On stage 3 it was a different story, I shot them, Brent did not. Brent shooting it 4.2 seconds faster did not over come the 24 points I had over him. The D/T were slow on stage 3 and was an easy 2 alpha on both. This has been your Amish update, brought to you via Coach's Shooting Log.

Edited by smith52

You're entitled to say the sky is green, too. :sight::devil:

Sometimes it is better to skip them. Stage 3 was probably a good example, especially since you had to move between the activator and D/Ts. edit: Crunching the #s it depends on what assumptions I make re points given up and time lost whether it results in a higher or lower HF. I can make it look better or worse depending on how I play with the numbers. I'd have to run it both ways to know what the real time impact is.

No, I did not look at the timer. As soon as I called the shots on the max trap, I snapped to the D/T and was on the trigger. Eyes leading the gun and all so the decision was made before the gun got there. I saw somewhat of a sight/gun picture, but it was mostly a target focus. I called hits on brown and was "pretty sure" they were on there. It was ragged edge of my ability to make hits. At worst, with my C/D hits, it was a wash; it had the opportunity to be an improvement if I had made better hits.

I came out ahead on stage 8, you on stage 3. So should we skip them? "It depends." :roflol:

Without the times there is no way to know what the math would be. The word is conjecture.

I had a big response written out yesterday then hit the wrong button and lost it. I was all set to retype it but then I decided no way. Keep shooting them.

• 3 weeks later...

Classifications are update on USPSA. I made Master in L10. That was a goal for this fall and I at least get to check it off the list.

I have not touched a pistol really since the IDPA match at ACC on November 3. I Won CDP but shot like crap and was not HOA.

Last club match of the year at WVPPS. I am ready for a break on that front. Lots of planning and arrangements need to be done for next years state match.

• 1 month later...

The year is coming to an end, and it will soon be time to get back into the dry fire routine. I am going to waint until January to restart and I hope to get in 3 nights per week in January, but that is not going to be easy. I have 7th grade girls basketball to worry about plus my school commitment is getting larger all the time.

Trying to figure out what the plan is going to be for divisions in the early part of the year. I am shooting SS nationals in May but I don't really want to spend much time shooting Single Stack other than that match. I am going to work on reloads with the SS gun a lot in addition to normal dry fire. May just so up and shoot the nationals cold.

I hope to shoot Production more this season to get more time in with the carry gun. I am thinking Battle in the Bluegrass and SS/Production in Warsaw will be a party in Production.

Starting to think about goals for 2013. Not finalized yet but thinking along these lines:

1) A year of focus on better trigger control and improved accuracy.

2) Improved performance with the Production gun.

Don't think I have ever seen you shoot production Coach. What's your prefered production gun??

Smith and Wesson M&P

Don't think I have ever seen you shoot production Coach. What's your prefered production gun??

I'm think'n M&P

ding, ding, ding but I do own a Glock these days.

My whole USPSA shooting career (strong word) started in Production.

Edited by Coach

I haven't worked my way to reloads yet today but I'm getting there.

I'm using smaller targets,a lot smaller,to simulate some distance. I'm thinking that and the skinny mags are going to drive the par times up.

I did a short dry fire session yesterday with full size targets and the reloads were ugly to say the least.

Bill this is the perfect time to get some practice in. it's hard telling what kind of druken mob will pass through the neighborhood tonight.

Happy New Year fellas

1/2/2013

I worked on some reloads, target to target transitions with the Single Stack gun today from the table top. I did about 20 minutes worth of work. I did not use a timer or put on a holster. I did it all from the table top. I plan to get something done tomorrow. I might do a routine with the Production gun. I loaded 500 rounds today as well. I have over 2,000 rounds of 40 loaded up and about 1500 rounds of 9mm loaded up.

I have plenty of 40 bullets on hand but I am getting and order together for 45 and 9.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday Saturday January 12th was nearly 60 degrees and I got a few rounds downrange, which was the first in quite a spell. It was not practice but I helped my brother sight in a couple of pistols, and did some teaching and demonstrating.

I need to get the dry fire routine up and running but this week is booked solid nearly every evening.