Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Got some dry fire in tonight. The good news is that Alyssa stood out there beside me and dry fired at the same time. She is going to be shooting on Sunday. Which makes me happy on one hand and leaves me wondering where the ammo is going to come from on the other.

I had a good session tonight with draws, Front Sight Forward and reloads. The plate drills were solid but not perfect. SHO and WHO were pretty good but not great. Despite me lapse here lately with dry fire this return session went well. I am looking forward to tomorrow night. I have an accepted offer on some .22 ammo, which will allow me to work on shooting on the move with some live fire over spring break. I pick it up on Friday after school.

I also found that after the reload on that drill that my sights were not properly aligned every time. This would explain the high shots on Sunday that translated into mikes. I discovered this early and worked to improve it.

Edited by Coach

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your stage 2 plan much better than some others I've seen.

Wished I could have made it.

The plan seemed obvious. Why I had to put one in the black on the right side I don't understand.

March 14, 2013

Two nights of dryfire in a row! Plus Alyssa did some dry fire with me both nights. I have a nice callous that is sore to the touch on my traffic finger on my gun hand. I am hoping it hardens up and quits hurting or I may have to glue nerf ball on something on my trigger guard and the holster. It ain't a gimmick if it serves a purpose.

Draws and Front Sight Forward went really well last night. I did 10 reps on both of these drills and felt good about the results. Drill 15 2R2 was pretty good for the most part. I am getting more and more reps done smoothly and I used three par times. I even got the majority of the reps at 2.1 seconds. There was no issue getting the sights into alignment following the reload on this drill but I had that problem on the next two drills. Drills 11 and 12, which are SHO and WHO I had trouble after the reload being fast enough and part of that issue was the sights were not aligned and the front sight was high. This needs to be come an area of focus. I am naturally pointing the gun high with one hand.

Plate transitions and Straight plates were fine.

Tonight I hope to add 6R6 to the mix.

Picking up .22 ammo after school and hope to get a little shooting on the move in this weekend.

What's the wvpps match going to be? Info brother info!!!

Badass.

There is an announcement on INGO. Six stages, Steeler standards with five field courses. 163 rounds I think.

What's the wvpps match going to be? Info brother info!!!

Badass.

There is an announcement on INGO. Six stages, Steeler standards with five field courses. 163 rounds I think.

That sounds great! Finally, my first match of the year, feels like its been forever. I'll see you there, take care.

March 15, 2013

Picked up 4150 rounds of .22 after school today. Some shooting on the move and steel challenge in my future now.

Alyssa and I got some dry fire in this evening as well. Both hoping to get a little live fire in tomorrow between the sessions I am teaching.

Draws and Front Sight Forward went really well tonight as normal. I added 6 reload 6 into the mix and it went well. I made many of my same Limited Par times, but not all of them. 6RSHO went very well also. 6RWHO sucked. For some reason the reload that had been fine on the other drills could not be made. Who knows?

Straight plates and plate transitions went very well.

March 17, 2013

Cancelled the monthly match do to the weather and radar. It sucks. I cannot remember the last time I had to cancel this match. This might be the first.

So it was dryfire tonight.

Draw and FSF went very well. Caught the sights not properly aligned a couple of times and just focused on it and it smoothed out. Drill 8 which is 6R6 Went decent. I tried all the Limited times. I made 8,7,7 out of 10 reps on the first three time. The last one I made 3/5 on it. Not great but not bad. I want to get smoother so that the times are just my dryfire times and not my times with the Limited gear. I am making progress but I am not there.

Drill 11: 6RSHO went very well. Made at least 2/3 reps on all the times.

Drill 12; 6RWHO was not as good. More work to do here, but there was some improvement over some of the sessions of the past month.

Drills 30 and 29 both went really well.

I need to get 2R2 in as well tomorrow night.

The good news is that I have ammo loaded. Further good news is that I am mentally starting to embrace the idea of shooting Production this year. I worked on left hand draws from my carry holster following the dryfire tonight. The big reason for shooting Production is to get better with the carry gun. I am going to try and do something carry related each session from this point on out as well.

March 18, 2013

I got in a very good dry fire session last night. Some drills went great, making me think some improvement is going on. It dawned on my last night that with the match being cancelled I am not going to get in a match until April. Not cool at all. I am going to have to do some live fire over spring break. Bayou Bullets is 4-6 weeks from being about to take orders. I need to figure out what to do in the mean time.

Draws, Front Sight Forward, SHO and WHO all went realy well last evening. 2R2 was solid and getting better. Plate Transitions was fine as well. I also finished with 6R6 and used the Limited times all the way through. Things went smooth and the fronts sights just appearing, and the reloads were good. It seems that repitions are paying off. This is a light week on the family schedule so I should be able to get a full week in behind the gun.

I got a 1000 rounds of reloads in the mail yesterday, so that gives me a little cushion.

March 19, 2013

Elbow was sore all night and all day. Thought about taking a day off but decided not to do that. I cut back on drills some instead. It was good night of dryfire again tonight.

Drill 2: Draws went well

Drill 13: Front Sight Forward went very well and I am considering bumping the par times down a tenth. We will see how tomorrow night goes.

Drill 8: 6R6 went ok. I was making it on 8 out of ten, but bobbled some reloads in there, and particularly on the fast times. Still moving in the right direction.

Drill 11: 6RSHO went well. These reloads were not a problem at all. SHO is coming together.

Drill 12: 6RWHO went ok. Still work to be done here.

Need to find some 9mm bullets and get them ordered.

Next match is going to be IDPA at ACC.

March 20, 2013

Drill 13:FSF 10 reps

This went really well. I went into it cold because I normally start with draws and I skipped that tonight. This drill has been easy for the last few times. So I moved the par time down a tenth.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

This went ok. I made 8 out of 10 on most par times. This is the area that is the biggest weakness. When i am pushing to make the time I am not always having the gun level and this is where the mikes came from down at Silver Creek. I did some extra reps on this one.

Drill 11: 6RSHO 3 reps

This went really well. It won't be long and this par time is going to move down.

Drill 12: 6RWHO 3 reps

This one was hot and cold. I finished strong at the fastest two par times. But I did several extra sets of repitions on this one. I want to see more progress here. It is the reload that was the biggest problem. On the last two sets I hit the reload and made the times easily. It is not rocket science. The reload is key.

Drill 30: Plate tranisitions 10 reps

This went great again tonight so I have dropped the par time a tenth.

Drill 29: Straight plates 10 reps 5 each direction

This is going well and I have made noticeable progress going from right to left. I moved this down a tenth as well. Not getting better if not pushing myself.

So overall a big night. Three par times lowered. Looking forward to tomorrow night to see how I do with the new tiimes. My right elbow is a little sore, and the palm of my left hand is sore to the touch from the reloads. I have touched the gun in dry fire or live fire 7 days in a row I think.

I fire some test rounds through the Brazos tonight.

Well it certainly was not warm today after school but it was sunny. So Alyssa and i hit the range for some live fire. I might have shot 150 rounds and it was an ok performance. I had to runs with mikes, and everything else was on paper but the points were not what I was hoping for. Minor scoring sucks. I have to shoot a little different. I need to back off a bit and hit more A's or shoot the same speed and hit more A's. SHO was a good showing. WHO was not as good since I zeroed the first run.

Edited by Coach

March 23, 2013

I taught a class yesterday and then came home and did some live fire practice. I shot near to far at least 10 times. I had a mike on the first run and one in the middle somewhere. I was very happy with my times. Most of them were sub 4 second runs. Fasted was 3.46 and it was clean. But the problem and the reason I was out there was accuracy. I am working way too many charlies and deltas into the mix. I scored them all minor and my high score was 34 and the low was 14. The mode was 32. I have been shooting plenty of 32's on this array. I plan to shoot it some more today.

My draws were good. The slowest one was 1.26, and the fastest was 1.07. I was please with that. I had several draws of 1.14 that resulted in 2 alpha. Might of have found a source on bullets. They are lead, but they are cheap. should have them today to check on the quality.

March 24, 2012

Snowing like a sonofabitch here. Adam and I got some live fire in prior to the snow starting. He has a new executive from STI. We chronoed some rounds and everything that we loaded in 9mm, 40 and 45 is good to go. Worked through the 3300 rounds of 40 I had load and found the high primers. Shot his new gun and the ammo and gun run fine.

I shot some more Near to Far and every run under 4 seconds, but too many points down. Going to be working on this over the next two weeks of spring break. Trigger control is not what it should be. Need some live fire to get it ironed out.

Front Sight forward at 12 yards went really well. The first string what the best. Total time of 3.22 with all A's. The draw was 1.46 and that was the worst part.

Next run was 2.86 but only 24 points with a draw of 1.26 not quite as good.

Third run was 2.95 with a draw of 1.37, but I did not write down the points. I did not have a mike but I don't know the points.

SHO: 12 yards

1st run: 4.54 with a draw of 1.56 6 points. Had a mike.

2nd run: 4.33 with a draw 1.60 24 points. deltas suck

WHO: 12 yards

Draw 2.11, time 5.75 23 points

draw 2.20 time 6.77 24 points

March 25, 2013

I got some good dryfire in this evening.

Drill 2: draws went very well, which is normal. I am thinking about moving the par time down. Live fire draws are slow but going pretty well also.

Drill 13: FSF went very well. New par time and still made the time. Went well.

Drill 15: 2R2 This was the roughest spot of the evening. I did all the normal times that I could make with the Limited gun. I struggle at first but it got better as I went. I did a few extra reps once it was going well. Made a little progress, and have been getting the reloads done better.

Drill 8: 6R6 10 reps

Went well

This went well

Pretty good but got better as it went along. Once things were flowing I did a few extra reps.

Drill 30: Plate transitions 10 reps

This went well, but was tough at the new times. Did not make very many and the sub par time.

Drill 29: Straight plates 10 reps (5 each direction)

This went well also but was tough at the new par times. I made the sub par time on the last one. I am seeing great progress shooting this from the right to the left.

I then worked on some defensive style draws, shoot and scans.

I did some table top pick ups with the SS gun.

I worked on some table top pick ups, and reloads with the SS gun.

A full session to be sure. Reloads with the SS went pretty well.

ACC is rescheduling the classifier match for this Saturday. I don't need classifiers in anything but I am starved for a match and just might go shoot it.

March 26, 2013

Live fire session with the new lead bullets. Gun functioned fine with the new bullets. Once the brass got back into the ejections port and other than that flawless. I am not sure it was the bullets fault. I cleaned the gun after the sesson.

3 yard draws: All A's

.97,.86,.81,.81,.84,.78, .81, .74 which is my personal best as best I can remember. I have not flipped through the log sheets though.

12 yards:

1.06 D, 1.10 C, 1.09 D, 1.10 C, 1.08 A, 1.01 A, 0.99 C, 0.95 A, 1.01 M, 1.00 M

Front Sight Forward:

time Points

3.02 24

2.87 22

3.07 26

2.78 20

3.89 28

SHO

3.98 10

4.46 26

WHO

5.32 0

6.15 9

5.57 18 Decided to do a couple of extra. I obviously needed.

5.53 14

Near to Far

3.93 14

4.27 20

4.06 19

3.56 20

4.61 28

4.55 17

3.27 28

8.17 38

Have decided against the Classifier match at ACC. Too long a drive for 70 rounds. I am going to stay home and do a long practice session. Nothing but dry fire and maybe some .22 work between now and then.

Edited by Coach

March 28, 2013

Spent the morning shoveling new gravel onto the range. Ate some lunch and took a nap. Woke up sore and stiff.

Went out and fired 120 rounds mostly on accuracy stuff. It went very well. Several days in a row shooting the gun seems to be making a difference. I shoot some groups at 25 yards.

I shot partialy head shots at 10 and 15 yards. I shot Azones only at 12 yards all of this protected by no shoots. It went well. Did not keep track of time at all.

I did some 10 yard drills for time.

Did some ten yard mozabique drills

Dry Fire:

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

This drill went well. Not perfect but well. Best session on this drill of 2013

Went well

Went well

SS Gun: Table top reloads 12 reps

Pick up the gun fire two shots, reload and two and reload, and so on through 6 magazine insertions.

This went very well. Tomorrow I may strap the gun on and do drill 15 with it as well.

Nothing today that counts. Did a little coaching this morning. Shot a few demo draws and drills. I did finish spreading gravel on the range this evening. One sore and stiff old sonofabitch.

I finally got a match in, but it was IDPA so I never got my feet on the ground. Retain the mag? No you don't have to the gun and it are both empty. Why am I staring at it? Tactical Sequence? But I can shoot them faster going 2-2-2. It does not matter do what you are told. After today I crave the freestyle of USPSA. Shooting in the rain if necessary. I did shoot Carry/Production gun today with the IWB holster. There was not gaming at all. Shot well enough point wise except for one stage.

No results up yet.

Overall:
Not a great match but not terrible either. I have some things about Production to figure out. I pushed the speed a couple of times and saw my points drop drastically. I shot slow a couple of times and the accuracy was much better and the points much higher. We will see what the scores say. I had the worst performance on a Texas Star in years. Reloads were ok. Trigger speed was slow on the classifier. I shot the activating targets aggressively 2 out of 3 times and got the hits. I caught myself three different times pressing on the trigger when it was already bottomed out. Probably were my obligatory delta per stage comes from, and the mikes of course.

Stage 1:
+ Our last stage of the day and I decided to be aggressive. Good time.
- Had a mike in position 2 that ruined an otherwise good run.
- Lucky with a delta on the swinger which I called a mike but was already moving. The target was moving up on me and the shot was hurried.
+Felt the plan for position 3 was aggressive and I pulled it off barely. Two statics after the popper and before the swinger.

Stage 2:
- Classifier, who cares.
+ Counted the shots right, last time I shot this I did not.
+ Decent reloads
- 1 charlie which is unacceptable. Trigger control is lacking there.
- Slow on the trigger as well.

Stage 3:
- Had my other mike on the day here. In the hard cover at the last position.
- Had planned to shoot the last position conservatively to avoid disaster. It was not avoided. Sometimes a plan is just a list of shit that does not get done.
+ Felt good about position three and the activator.

Stage 4:
+ Only five charlies total.
-Speed was lacking.
+ I managed the first to arrays from one position. I am not sure anyone else on the squad did that.
-Need to shoot better on the move.

Stage 5:
+Tried to push up the speed some here and did.
-Point will be too low for the stage due to several deltas

Stage 6:
-Worst performance on a star in years. I am blaming a speed focus. Edited by Coach