Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7/11 Live fire

Got started about noon, and Jake arrived a little later. It was a good live session:

WHO both runs were clean with HF's of 4.6210 and 4.2769

SHO both runs were clean with HF's of 7.3684 and 6.7010

Draws at 3 yards were 1.03, 0.96, 0.98, 0.94

Draws at 12 yards ranged from 1.17 to 1.01 with a bad one at 1.27

20 reloads ranged from 1.43 to 1.06 I did not get a stand by on the one really slow one.

No dropped mags today on this drill and the times were very consistent. I think it can get better but it was smooth and much improved from the spring.

Near to Far;

Some good runs and some bad runs and a couple of great runs.

The good:

HF of 7.2961, 8.0459

The bad:

HF of 4.5454, 3.7611

The Great:

8.8636, 9.2348

Bill Drills;

2.09 with 29 points = 13.8755 draw was 1.10

2.07 with 28 points = 13.5265 draw was 1.05

2.17 with 28 points = 12.9032 draw was 1.12

2.06 with 29 points = 14.0776 draw was 1.01

Getting faster and that is the focus here. When I can get under the 2 second mark I will focus on getting the points to 30 every time. I need to trust the sight picture on the draw on this. If I can get the draw under 1 second consistently I will be there.

A good practice session. Looking forward to Sunday.

Looks like you and I are neck and neck on that damn Bill Drill. When I go sub 2 clean, I'm pushing that sucker to 10 yards. I'm hovering right were you are, very low 2's. I have cranked several into the 1.90's, but not clean, always a C or D to spoil it.

See ya Sunday!! I'm bringing Phil, not sure about anyone else.

Looks like you and I are neck and neck on that damn Bill Drill. When I go sub 2 clean, I'm pushing that sucker to 10 yards. I'm hovering right were you are, very low 2's. I have cranked several into the 1.90's, but not clean, always a C or D to spoil it.

See ya Sunday!! I'm bringing Phil, not sure about anyone else.

I just want to get my trigger speed up to snuff. It is one weakness that I have. When the chance to hose in a stage comes I am not able to take full advantage of it at this time. My draw is decent but it has to get better in order for me to be more competitive. In the last month it has also become very obvious that my raction to the buzzer sucks and I am trying to improve that as well.

Been a full day of working on the barn, loading the truck with gear for the two basic classes I am teaching tomorrow and I have not gotten any dryfire done today. Tired and sore and not really wanting to do it. But I have work to do so I am going to suck it up and get a little bit in tonight.

See you on Sunday.

7/13

Bill Drills went really well I did the standard 10 reps per time.

Drill 2: Draws went very well also. I did 10 reps as well. I only do 5 under the baseline and I made 3/5 of those today.

Drill 15: 2R2 I did 10 reps. I did well on this drill. I am close to moving the baseline down a tenth.

Drill 8: 6R6 Not as smooth as I would like. Slow on a couple, missed a reload or two.

Drill 34: Plates reload SHO, 3 reps went fine until under baseline. I was slow on two so I redid them. I can make the time easily any long but have resisted moving the time down per the advice in SA book.

Drill 35; Plates reload WHO 3 reps went fine

Sunday at WVPPS match finished 6th in Limited. Two mikes and grooved a no shoot. Times were slow, had a gun problem. Mag release broke and caused a few reload issues that I was slow to figure out. Disappointed for certain.

Monday I shot 120 rounds of 2-2-2 and near to far.

I got the 650 back together have loaded 400 rounds and it seems squared away.

Tuesday I shot 120 rounds on near to far.

Barn report: 40% of the old metal roof has been removed.

Live Fire Practice on Wednesday:

Bill Drills went well and were real similar to last week.

2.14 sec 28 points draw 1.10 HF 13.0841

2.04 sec 28 points draw 1.01 HF 13.7254

2.10 sec 29 points draw 1.03 HF 13.8095

2.14 sec 30 points draw 1.04 HF 14.01869

Near to Far: Four runs 1 mike total and I have an excuse

4.62 sec 28 points draw 1.35 HF 7.3593

4.25 sec 31 points draw 1.31 HF 7.2941

4.5 sec 21 points draw 1.25 HF 4.6666 *smoke from the lead bullets was so thick I could not see the target at all.

5.8 sec 35 points draw 1.35 HF 6.0344 *smoke so bad the 25 yard target was not visible and I shot a dirt spot on the berm by mistake and then saw the target and had to fire two extra shots.

Need a little wind with those lead bullets.

SHO and WHO went very well. I had one mike WHO and so I did a third run and it was the best run of the season as far as speed.

28 points in 4.5 seconds with a draw of 1.85 All three draws were under 2 seconds which is not normally the case.

Reloads and draws were fine and about the same as last week. I had two bad bobbles during the reloads that I did not have last week. i blame having to run the timer myself. Jake could not make for some reason, and Bill said it was going to be too hot.

After doing the regular skill practice I broke out the carry gun, Jake's shotgun and the AR. I tested the new steel plates and the shoot off poppers. It was a good time for certain.

GH2 gun broke on Sunday. Mag release button fell out in my hand. I lost the screw with the cam on it. This explains the reloads and a couple of malfunctions with the gun that I experience throughout the day. Grip holes are wallered out and not holding the mag release like it should. George is ordering a new grip. The grip was used and the only used part on the gun. So it will be nice to have it changed and should be back up and running.

Looks like it is the Brazos this weekend.

Barn update;

Only 13 pieces of old metal roof left on the pile. That will be loaded on the trailer on Monday. If it is not loaded Monday I am dead or buried by some major catastrophe. I need rain for several reason but I need to have a huge fire but this burning ban is kick my ass on barn progress.

Barn update;

Only 13 pieces of old metal roof left on the pile. That will be loaded on the trailer on Monday. If it is not loaded Monday I am dead or buried by some major catastrophe. I need rain for several reason but I need to have a huge fire but this burning ban is kick my ass on barn progress.

reads more like a diary everyday

Barn update;

Only to readers with no degrees. Those with a lack of education must help themselves before we can help them.

Barn update;

Only to readers with no degrees. Those with a lack of education must help themselves before we can help them.

Jake and I headed down to Owensboro on Saturday for a match. We have heard many good things about the matches down there. It was a good match and tougher than it first appeared. We needed trigger time and I needed trigger time with ROing or match directing. We got it. Thanks to Gary Welborn and his crew for a good time. Too many mikes for certain but the plans were solid and everyone seemed to have too many mikes so we will see what happens with the results. What a drive.

Shot ACC today and other than the classifier I shot decent. It was a fun match but not as tough as Owensboro the day before. I was clean except for the classifier, and that was news to Jake. He bet me $100 that I had a mike on the first field course. He was wrong.

Our squad had a lot of fun and the banter was full contact. Where would you rather be?

Here is what it looked like:

Looked good Coach!! I didn't shoot, gun getting rebarreled and I didn't want to use my nephews. I think you Could gain a couple ticks on the wide transitions, something I notice about myself too. Maybe pull gun in and pivot hard as you push the gun back out for next target. Just a suggestion.

See you on the range!!

Looked good Coach!! I didn't shoot, gun getting rebarreled and I didn't want to use my nephews. I think you Could gain a couple ticks on the wide transitions, something I notice about myself too. Maybe pull gun in and pivot hard as you push the gun back out for next target. Just a suggestion.

See you on the range!!

I wondered where you were today. It was a good match. Thanks for the advice. I have a list of things I am working on, and I will add that to the list.

Jake and I headed down to Owensboro on Saturday for a match. We have heard many good things about the matches down there. It was a good match and tougher than it first appeared. We needed trigger time and I needed trigger time with ROing or match directing. We got it. Thanks to Gary Welborn and his crew for a good time. Too many mikes for certain but the plans were solid and everyone seemed to have too many mikes so we will see what happens with the results. What a drive.

Stage 1:

+Decent draw.

Had a mike on the target through the port due to target focus instead of front sight focus.

+Plan flowed well, shot decent on the move.

-Lead was a little smokey no way I can use it in a major. Light can make a huge difference.

Stage 2:

- Had a mike on the 1st array. Due to target focus. Why am I doing that?

+ I discovered the different levels and types of focus I use during the matches and which ones are working and which ones are not. This discovery made the drive worthwhile.

-Called a mike on the distant target and I was right. I was slow to do it and had already moved to the second target and had to go back which cost be the split and the transition, but that was better than another mike. I have to be more Front Sight focused.

+After watching most of the squad get NPM's on the drop turner I decided to save the time.

Stage 3:

- I had another mike on the three target array because I was not on the front sight like I should have been.

- I had a second mike on the hard cover target through the port. I cannot remember aiming those shots.

+ The Plan was fine and the time was good. Just get the hits!

Stage 4:

- Lack of accuracy on the middle target.

- I am muscling the gun back into position for the second shot and that has to stop. That is the problem with many of my mikes especially into the hardcover and such.

Stage 5:

+Plan was good and aggressive but I had one mike. Pulled off.

- This stage was sneaky tough, a little distance, hardcover, shooting on the move, many positions.

Stage 6:

+ A clean stage!

+ Shot the steel well, on the move went well, 25 yard mini poppers went well, needed a few more like this.

+ Time was solid as well.

Shot ACC today and other than the classifier I shot decent. It was a fun match but not as tough as Owensboro the day before. I was clean except for the classifier, and that was news to Jake. He bet me $100 that I had a mike on the first field course. He was wrong.

Our squad had a lot of fun and the banter was full contact. Where would you rather be?

Here is what it looked like:

Stage 1:

+ A clean stage to start the match with. I ran my plan decently despite wanting to change it at the last minute. I did not make the change. I wanted to go one more target on the first magazine.

+ No deltas on this stage.

- I needed to shoot something between the footpad and the max trap, and go one more target on the first mag and it would have been a faster run.

Stage 2:

+Another solid run.

+Stayed moving pretty well after the port and that is what made the time be 14:35.

- I need to change speed with my feet better.

Stage 3:

- Draw was slow and the trigger control sucked.

- One hard cover mike and a grooved no shoot. I should have shot charlies and it would have scored better. This stage could keep me from winning the day and that is stupid.

Stage 4:

-Missed the first position with my feet.

-Slow to move out of the first position. I need to power step once in a while and this would have been the time. I thought about it and decided against it. Trust the gut.

- I intended to drive down the poppers in front of the plate but missed the last plate due to target focus rather than Front Sight focus.

Stage 5:

+ Good plan; I thought the port inside the walls on the right was a bad idea even though several in our squad used it.

- Got sucked in a little bit on the third array.

-Splits and transitions were slow on the last three targets.

Stage 6:

-Took to long to decide on the plan. Did not execute it aggressively.

-Two extra shots on the steel hurt badly.

-I should have shot all the back targets from around the left side.

-Hitting the steel with one shot would have put me where I needed to be time wise.

Finished third at owensboro out of 30 shooters. With a little accuracy would have won the match and felt much better about it. Still waiting on the ACC results.

Shot 200 rounds last night live fire. Worked on moving and shooting target with hard cover. It went ok, and I felt like some progress was made but it was not perfect. I was fried by the end. Jake and I did a small shoot-off array testing the over lapping poppers. Accuracy is the main thing in a shootoff. Must go one for one.

George is working getting my new grip on the Limited gun the old one was used and it did not hold up. My front sight broke on the Brazos this weekend and needs replacing. It has been ordered and I will be trading guns with him today or tomorrow hopefully and have both guns back by the state match.

July 24, 2012

Live Fire Practice for the Shooting Log

Front Sight Forward (7 yards)

2.28 sec 23 points 1.13 draw HF of 10.0877

2.46 sec 26 points 1.16 draw HF of 10.5691

2.23 sec 28 points 1.15 draw HF of 12.5560

Front sight Forward (12 yards)

2.63 sec 27 points 1.38 draw HF of 10.2661

2.49 sec 27 points 1.17 draw HF of 10.8433

2.6 sec 25 points 1.27 draw HF of 9.6153

Front sight Forward (15 yards)

3.05 sec 13 points 1.40 draw HF of 4.2622 (1 mike)

2.63 sec 0 points 1.23 draw HF of 0 (this one sucked)

2.82 sec 23 points 1.43 draw HF of 8.1560

Front sight Forward (25 yards)

4.31 sec 27 points 1.81 draw HF of 6.2645

3.72 sec 23 points 1.52 draw HF of 6.1827

3.66 sec 28 points 1.57 draw HF of 7.6502

Near to Far

4.2 sec 21 points 1.43 draw HF of 5.0000

3.64 sec 37 points 1.28 draw HF of 10.1648

3.57 sec 33 points 1.13 draw Hf of 9.2436

3.40 sec 0 points 1.19 draw HF of 0 (piss poor)

3.68 sec 32 points 1.35 draw Hf of 8.6956

3.76 sec 37 points 1.44 draw HF of 9.8404

3.62 sec 4 points 1.21 draw HF of 1.1049 (piss poor)

3.03 sec 32 points 1.21 draw HF of 10.5610

Front Sight Forward (17 yards)

4.49 sec 28 points 1.77 draw HF of 6.2360

3.48 sec 26 points 1.51 draw HF of 7.4712

3.29 sec 26 points 1.39 draw HF of 7.9027

2.83 sec 24 points 1.41 draw Hf of 8.4805

2.57 sec 28 points 1.31 draw HF of 10.8949

.0092 separated you from 2nd place overall. Geez brother that's some good shooting. Only Two very good Open guys beat you, one a Master!! Good job at Atlanta!!

Where was Jake at? Geez, there he is, down a ways. Lol, he should practice with you more!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

.0092 separated you from 2nd place overall. Geez brother that's some good shooting. Only Two very good Open guys beat you, one a Master!! Good job at Atlanta!!

Where was Jake at? Geez, there he is, down a ways. Lol, he should practice with you more!!!

Thanks. I will settle for the win in Limited at this time. Repete is very good. I should have been second overall. I choked on the classifier and the other small course. If I do my job there I am right there with him. Things are improving and headed in the right direction. A little more practice and a match then it is the state match. Looking forward to it.

Laying off dry fire this week and doing live fire a little bit each day. Back to school next week and then it will be more dryfire than live. I have gun issues to iron out as well, but George is on it.