Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Feb 2, 2013

I finally got started on the dryfire routine for 2013. I have been swamped with life and it just did not get started in January like I wanted. I have gotten signed up for the Battle in the Bluegrass, Ohio Section, and Single Stack Nationals. I am scheduled to work the Indiana SS/Production/Revolver match and of course the Indiana Section Match. I have managed to do some loading since Christmas and have quite a bit of ammo loaded in 9mm, 40 and 45. I have much more that I would like to do before it warms up.

I have been trying to decide what division or divisions I am going to shoot this season. I am just shooting SS nationals because and I don't plan to shoot single stack for a significant part of the year. I do plan to work on reloads with that gun in dry fire and let the shooting take care of itself. Stage plans are not that hard and the trigger on the gun is great, and recoil is not a problem. If I can get the reloads down I should be fine.

I want to shoot a lot of Production this season and I have resolved to do it. I have even toyed with shooting only Production for the season and hitting Production Nationals in Tulsa as it falls on my fall break from school. I am wanting to focus on getting better with my carry gun and this is the primary reason for all the Production shooting. Right now I am thinking half Production and half Limited.

I started dryfire today with the M&P. I just jumped in with the same times from last years Limited Dry Fire. So the first problem is that I am rusty, and the second problem is that my Brazos and GH2 fit my hand a lot better. I also found out that I already miss my magwell.

Drill 2: Draws 10 reps per time

I made all the times and this went really well and I was surprised by how well it went.

Drill 13: Front Sight Forward 10 reps per time

This went pretty well. I made all the times that were .2 above the par time. I made 9 out 10 at .1 above the par time. I made 1 out of 10 at the par time and none of the ones below the par time. I also was missing a fiber optic front sight as well. I think this drill will be fine when I get the rust off.

Drill 15: 2 Reload 2 7 reps with no par time, 20 reps at 2.3 seconds

The plan went out the window here and the feeling like a badass also hit the wall. Where is the mag well? I could not make the time and was only close a couple of times. So I just left the time at 2.3 which was .2 above the par for my Limited runs last fall. I plan to just give it a week to ten days and the evaluate what to do. New par times may be in order on this since there is such a difference in gear. Reloads are tough.

Drill 11: 6 reload SHO: 5 reps with no par time, 12 reps at 4.1 seconds

I usually do 3 reps per time for 15 reps on this, but since it requires a reload I could not make the first time. So I just did them all at this time, and made it 6 out 12 times. I think I can get this smoothed out and make these times work pretty soon. I am not real worried about pushing the times down on this drill. If I can manipulate the gun at these times by the time the weather warms I will be pretty happy. My Limited 10 runs with SHO and WHO last year were pretty solid and if I can shoot the carry gun like that SHO and WHO I will be in great shape.

Drill 12: 6 reload WHO 5 reps with no par time, 12 reps at 4.6 seconds

This was not real good. I made 0/12 on the times, and was only close about half the time. This needs work. I think it will come around as well.

Overall the session was ok for the first go of the season. There is plenty of work to be done. I plan to get right back out there tomorrow. I plan to add two more drills to the routine and do the same drills for the month. I plan to add some drills with plates and transitions, and I think many of the skills I am looking to develop will be incorporated into the session. It is a starting point anyway.

I also hope to make 2013 a year that focuses heavily on trigger control. I went out and sighted in a 300 win mag for my brother today. Pretty happy with the trigger control on that gun today. I don't need a rifle like that but now I want one.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to shoot with your carry rig? If I do, I still need a better option. I love the Comp Tac, just a little slow getting it out. My Uncle Mike's, the draw has to be absolutely perfect, or it gets snagged.

No is the short answer. I have not gone all the way to being Rhino. My carry holster is IWB and the muzzle burns my ass after the stage, and I don't like it. Plus my OWB holster has the space for the light, and I cannot do that.

2-3-13

Drill 2: draws 10 reps

Overall this went well today. I made the time on the draws and felt quite a bit smoother. Nice callous forming on ride hand social finger at the second knuckle.

Drill 13: Front Sight Forward 7 reps

This went well. I made all the times down through the par time, but it was not easy. Did not get all the sub par time reps.

Drill 15: 2 Reload 2 10 reps

I was dreading this going into the day. It was much better than yesterday, but there is plenty of work to do.

I did 10 reps with no par time and went super slow to work on getting the angle down for inserting the magazine. It seemed to have helped.

2.3 seconds = 3/10 reps made the time but all but 1 was close.

2.3 seconds = 7/10 what a difference some repitions can make.

2.2 seconds = 3/5 much better and a good finish.

Drill 11: 6 Reload SHO 3 reps

6 reps with no par time

4.1 seconds = 0/3

4.1 seconds = 1/3

4.1 seconds = 2/3

4.1 seconds = 1/3

A long way to go but much better than day 1. A little rusty for certain. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Drill 12: 6 reload WHO 3 reps

6 reps with no par time

4.5 seconds = 1/3

4.5 seconds = 2/3

4.5 seconds = 2/3

4.5 seconds = 2/3

Drill 30 Plate transitions 10 reps

Went very well. Made all the times but one.

Drill 29 Straight Plates 8 reps

I did four left to right and 4 right to left on each time.

Left to right is still much better than right to left.

Made most of the time but not all. I was careful to be deliberate and be absolutely sure of the hits.

I noticed it is more difficult to have a high grip on the gun every single time. A point to be cognizant of in the days ahead. The importance of a smooth drawstroke and a fast first shot became very apparant as the session went on. If I could get the gun on target and settled in my hand quickly in Drill 29 making the time was not much of a problem at all.

2-4-2013

Three days of dryfire in a row makes it a streak!

Overall it was a good session and I learned a thing or two. I think it will help me get the reloads figured out. I broke out the Single Stack gun and did some table top reloads with it to open the session. Then did everything else with the Production gun.

Drill 2: Draws 10 reps

This went very well and I made all the times. I made 2/5 on the sub par time and the other three were close. I had many draws in this set where the sights just appeared on the target in perfect alginment. It was fast, smooth and very cool.

Drill 13: FSF 10 reps

This drill also went very well. The great draws carried over and the transitions were not bad either. I am somewhat surprised on how easily I got back in the groove on these first two drills. The lack of a fiber optic from sight does not seem to matter what so ever. I am sure Jake will dispute this because everything has to come down to gear.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

Struggle here again. I made 5/10, 4/10, 7/10 on these. I made the time 2 or 3 times more on each set but did not count them because I did not hit the mag release. I got that ironed out in the last set for time. In the no par time wrap up I went slower motion to focus on the insert which was not going very well. I discovered that I need to hold this gun at a little different angle. Ah ha.

Drill 11: 6RSHO: 3 reps

Made 0/3 in the first set. I went 2/3 on the next two sets. I pushed mentally and it made a positive difference.

Drill 12: 6RWHO: 3 reps

Started out rough and made 0/3. I pushed mentally on the next two sets and made 3/3 on both sets. it felt good to click up the intensity a bit and get the results I was looking for.

Drill 30: Plate transitions 10 reps

Went well

Drill 29: Straight plates 8 reps (four each way)

Went well.

Made the times on first three sets with the exception of 1 rep. Both ways

Sub par time I made 5 of 8

Not a bad night at all.

The Limited Guns were screaming at me from the safe the whole time. I got them out and oiled them up a bit after I was done.

2-6-2013

Could not get out to the garage last night. Had a 7th grade basketball game, and it was a rare win. Picked up 7,000 primers last night on the way home.

Today I am home with Royce who is sick, but I got out to the garage and got in a dry fire session.

Drill 2: Draws

I did 10 reps per time and it went very well.

Drill 15: 2Reload2

I did three set of 10 reps at 2.3 seconds. I made 5/10, 8/10, 8/10. I did a set at 2.2 seconds and only made 1/5 and a couple were close. There is plenty of room for improvement here, and when I get this reload weakness ironed out it will be a huge jump.

Drill 13: FSF

I did six reps per time and it went very well.

Drill 11: 6 R SHO

I did 3 sets of 3 reps. I made 1/3,2/3, 2/3 at 4.1 seconds and then 2/4 at 4 seconds.

Overall this went pretty good. I am slow from shot six to the reload. This is an area that must improve.

Drill 12: 6 R WHO

I did 3 sets of 3 at 4.5 seconds. I made 2/3, 2/3,2/3 and 1/3 at 4.4 seconds.

Drill 30: Plate transitions

Went well

Drill 29: Straight Plates

Went very well. Best session on this drill this year, which is not many but this one stood out big time. Getting faster going right to left and that is going to be a big advantage shooting stages.

2-9-2013

Live fire

I shot 200 rounds or so out of four different guns today. I did about 150 rounds of group shooting at 25-30 yards. It started rough and then got better with a little trigger time. I need to shoot off some bags to confirm but my M&P seems to be 4-5 inches low at 25 yards.

I shot my PF9 WHO at 7-10 yards. My shaking was very bad today I could barely keep the wobble on the A zone at that distance. Like the other this got better as well. Gun has extractor issues I think. There is supposed to be an extractor on the way from the factory. I was hoping it would arrive in the mail today. It did not. Hopefully soon. I would like to get this gun ironed out so I could have a BUG that is more than one shot.

I shot some rounds through the Glock 17. I hate the trigger on that thing. But I shot some groups with it and worked on riding the trigger and that made a big difference. It has to be good trigger control practice to shoot that thing and shoot it well.

I also test five rounds of the green bullet in 9mm and they seemed to be fine. I do not have the chrono here so i did not get a reading on them and i need to do so.

It was nice to get out on the range and shoot some live fire for a change. I am looking forward to some warmer weather. I got in a round of dry fire before going out on the range. I will post it later. I need to go burn the rest of that barn now.

That barn... been thinking about it.

It is gone. Just a pile of sheet metal and a few posts stacked up. The old crumbled foundation is scheduled to go next weekend, and destruction will be complete. If you decide to crash here it would be nice if you would do it while the track hoe is still here for the clean up.

2-9-2013

Drill 2 Draws: 10 reps

went well

Drill 15: 2reload2: 10 reps

Some improvement shown

9/10 made at 2.3 seconds

8/10 made at 2.3 seconds

7/10 made at 2.2 seconds

6/10 made at 2.2 seconds a little fade at the end.

went well

Drill 11: 6RSHO 3 reps

2/3 at 4.1 seconds

2/3 at 4.1 seconds

2/3 at 4.0 seconds

2/3 at 4.0 seconds

Drill 12: 6RWHO 3 reps

1/3 at 4.5 seconds

2/3 at 4.5 seconds

0/3 at 4.4 seconds

0/3 at 4.4 seconds Not that great.

Drill 30 plate transitions 10 reps

went well

2-13-2013

Drills 2: Draws 10 reps

Went very well

The last five under the par time I made them all. Sights were just appearing on target.

Went well.

Drills 15: 2R2 10 reps

Went decent.

7/10 2.3 seconds

6/10 2.3 seconds

7/10 2.2 seconds

8/10 2.2 seconds finished this drill strong. Did five more with no par.

3/3 4.1 seconds

3/3 4.1 seconds

3.3 4.0 seconds

2/3 4.0 seconds

Went pretty well.

This did not go so well.

1/3 at 4.5 seconds

2/3 at 4.5 seconds

1/3 at 4.4 seconds

3/3 at 4.4 seconds Finished strong at least.

Drill 30: Plates Transitions 10 reps

Went very well.

Drill 29: Straight plates 8 reps (four each directions)

went very well

2-11-2013

It was a rough night, and I came home pissed off to say the least. So I went out and dry fired and had a pretty good night. i need to shoot every stage just more than slightly pissed off.

Drill 2: draws 10 reps

Went great. Like always.

I made all 5 of the sub par times which is 0.7 seconds. Sights continue to just appear on the target and in alignment.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

This is getting better but not as fast as I want. But I see and feel the improvement.

8/10 at 2.3 seconds

8/10 at 2.3 seconds

7/10 at 2.2 seconds

5/10 at 2.2 seconds Did not like the fade here but it was the low light of the night really.

Drill 13: FSF

went well. Seeing the sights fine, and trigger control seems solid

3/3 at 4.1 seconds

3/3 at 4.1 seconds

3/3 at 4.0 seconds

3/3 at 4.0 seconds Went really well. Reloads are improving. I miss that mag well.

3/3 at 4.5 seconds

3/3 at 4.5 seconds

3/3 at 4.4 seconds

1/3 at 4.4 seconds not too bad.

went very well. I made all three time on all ten reps including the sub par time. Never shot this better.

Drill 29: Straight plates 8 reps 4 each way

Best session ever on this as well. I made all the times including sub par time.

I see the biggest progress on this drill. My shooting from right to left is catching up to my left to right and that will be very handy in shooting stages.

I am getting bored with just these drills but I am going to stay the course for the month. I may add table top pick ups to the mix and some bill drills. i have been using the trigger finger exerciser in the truck to and from school. That cannot be hurting. I need to secure some .22 ammo to work on shooting on the move. This gungrabbing panic situation is holding me back on acquiring .22 ammo and that sucks.

2/13/2013

Drill 2; Draws 10 reps

Went as well as it can go. I need to move my baseline down a tenth. I am going to confirm with one more session before I do it. i made all five under par time reps for the second practice in a row.

Drills 15: 2R2 10 reps

9/10 at 2.3 sec.

10/10 at 2.3 sec.

7/10 at 2.2 sec

7/10 at 2.2 sec

Lotion on your hands before dry fire is a bad idea. (for the record)

Drill: Table top draws to a Bill drill 10 reps

Went well.

I added this for mental health reasons.

I need more trigger speed anyway.

3/3 at 4.1 sec.

3/3 at 4.1 sec.

3/3 at 4.0 sec.

3/3 at 4.0 sec.

I felt like a bad ass on this one.

3/3 at 4.5 sec.

3/3 at 4.5 sec.

2/3 at 4.4 sec

2/3 at 4.4 sec.

2/3 at 4.3 sec The last three sets the missed time was close. Getting better here, but I caught my strong hand floating out off my chest some.

Went very well. I am thining if the next session goes as well that I should move the time down a tenth. Progress for certain. These were my limited times from the summer and that was with a fiber optic. Feeling good about this.

Drill 29: Straight Plates 10 reps

This went awesome as well. Thinking of moving the par times down if this goes well next time. Making the times going right to left that I did not make last year. I may shoot some homo plates just to even things out.

The last three session I have been stumbling around on silencing the voices in my head. I have a focus problem at times and start talking to myself in the middle of shooting a drill, or stage, or dry fire exercise. This is holding my back. I might be arriving at a solution, and not just my normal one of being pissed. I definitely shoot much better when I am just slightly pissed off. If I can shut the voices in my head up I might just take things to a new level of performance. Not making any promises yet but certainly noticing some things lately.

2-16-2013

Drill 2 Draws 10 reps

This went very well and so I moved the par time down a tenth.

Drill 15 2R2 10 reps

9/10 2.3

7/10 2.3

5/10 2.2

8/10 2.2

9/10 2.2 Went fairly well but sure not perfect.

3/3 4.1

3/3 4.1

3/3 4.0

3/3 4.0

3/3 3.9 Went well. Starting to get this drill into a groove

3/3 4.5

3/3 4.5

3/3 4.4

3/3 4.4

2/3 4.3 Went well.

Went well

Drill 30: Plates Transitions 10 reps

Went well

Drill 29: Straight plates 8 reps

went well

Adam had a hole big enough to bury a helicopter in dug here today. Barn concrete is gone.

2/17/2013

Live fire session:

It was a little over 30 degrees and sunny so I went out on the range and did a live fire practice session.

Shot so groups at 25 yards. Hits were grouped higher that I thought they would be. There were the green bayou bullets and I have not shot them in 9mm before. Not sure if it was me or the bullets. I usually do not go high. I shot SNS lead for the rest of the session. Who knows?

draw at 3 yards were all sub 1 second.

draws at 10 yards all less the 1.2

draws at 15 yards were all less than 1.2

I know points are a bigger deal in Production with minor scoring, but todays session was eye opening in how important points are. The SHO and WHO were disappointing for certain.

Shot calling drill at 25 yards was pretty good.

I have incorporated some head shooting drills. Nationals this year seemed to make it a necessity. This was tough and it was humbling. I zeroed 3 out of 4 full heads drill. I Zeroed 2 of four partial head shooting drills and one of the other scored 3 out of 30 points so it might as well be a zero.

Bill drills were slow. I did the drill right from surrender draw. I don't practice that skill and this is a good place to do it. 3 charleis shot in 24 total rounds. I am hoping it will not take all summer to get this down to a 2 second 30 point run. i don't think it will.

Near to far was hot and cold. Some really great shooting on 2 runs and some shitty shooting on 2. It was a little like bad tv.

Speed 6 at 7 yards was ok, but nothing great.

Speed 6 at 12 yards was ok 2 out of 3.

Reload:

What do you think this was like? It sucked. I had two very fast reaction times for me. .19

It is going to take a while to get down to 1.1 to 1.3 reload. But I am going to work at it.

I came in the house and did a bunch of reloads with the SS gun on the living room floor. I have to start doing that regularly. Those went better than what I can do the M & P.

• 3 weeks later...

March 6, 2013

Schedule has been full. I have been teaching classes, going to the Tactical Conference in Memphis last weekend for three days, I have been sick as a dog most of the time, school has been hectic. In short tonight was the first dry fire in some time. I only did 2 drills and they were ok but I was not feeling like doing it. I did draws and reloads and called it a night on dry fire. I loaded up the truck for a class I am teaching on Saturday.

Last weekend I finished 10th in the match at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference. There somewhere over 100 "instructors" and cops in the match. I am not sure how proud I should be of this finish. It was a set of six standards shot with IPDA scoring. I was clean. Then there was a two shot scenario. I had and 11 second time for the scenario and was clean. 2 shots 2 hits. But you had to find the reactive hostile target among about 20 non threat targets. If I had known where the targets were I could have done that scenario in about 4 seconds.

Shot the first match of the season today at Silver Creek. It was a fun match with good stages. I had three mikes which sucks. The mike on El Prez really surprised me. I just glanced at the target but did not see an obvious double. But it bothered me all the way home. I was not blazing away recklessly but it could have been better. It was good shooting on a stage with Rat Bastard 2.5. I am going make Silver Creek more this year than I have the last two.

I will break this down in detail tomorrow. I had three very good stages out of six. Only two of them made the video. One mike in the hard cover while moving. I am calling it ballsey rather than stupid to be shooting a target with hard cover on the move. One extra shot on steel for the day.

Finished 6th out of 28 or 29 Production Shooters. Several really good shooters in Production for this match but still not where I want to be. Considering the early part of the season and the serious lack of practice it is not surprising. Hope to get a few dry frire session in this week before WVPPS on Sunday.

Stage2:

+ Plan was good. With no forward faultlines I decided to move my feet and go way forward, and just try to flow around the horn smoothly. I did that for the most part. I had the fastest time on the stage by far, and I credit the superior plan to that. My execution was lacking. I threw one into the hard cover backing up and that did not have to happen.

+Reloads were fine.

-Draw was a little slow. partly because I did not push out high enough with the gun.

-Need to be more aggressive on the drawstroke.

-Need to be smoother shooting on the move.

Stage 3:

-Shooting on the move could have been better. I need more A's at that range.

-Swinger did not activate so a reshoot was necessary.

-I hit the Max trap in the head and I did not aim at the head. Had four rounds go much higher than I intended on the day. Need a little live fire practice to figure this out.

Stage 3 Reshoot:

-I had a mike in the first port and it went high. Perhaps some target focus. WTF?

-Ammo related malfunction. Round would not chamber. Did not tap,rack, bang; but that would not have cured the problem anyway, but it should be the immediate first step. Cleared it as best as I could but the time was just rolling by. I did an extra relaod to get back on the plan and tried to shoot points from there on out for damage control. But with a MALF and a mike this stage threw the match into the scrap heap.

-Slow getting on the Max Trap again.

Stage 4:

+Mowed down the small steel.

+Executed the plan well. (it was simple)

+Pretty decent run but 10th place due to being down too many points.

+ Shot good points on the appearing targets.

-Single target after the 9 shot array was super slow.

-Wondered to the last position in slow motion like a drunk hobo.

-Last reload was slow.

Stage 5:

- first target was awkard to shoot.

- plate rack was a little slow, but wanted to go one for one. Did not manage to do it.

- Did not cut the corner after the plate rack like I planned and did not move very aggressively.

last reload is slow and lower than I want.

+ Not a bad run. third on this stage

Stage 6:

- had a mike on the middle target. I think it went high.

-Cannot see much with the RO's head in the way.

What's the wvpps match going to be? Info brother info!!!

Badass.

There is an announcement on INGO. Six stages, Steeler standards with five field courses. 163 rounds I think.