Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Looks like fun Coach, but no fishing vest????

I don't wear vests in any social setting. I don't wear them on the rare occasion that I dress up. I am not going to wear them in IDPA. I do wear them in deep or wide bodies of water. Other than that I steer clear.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got a match in, but it was IDPA so I never got my feet on the ground. Retain the mag? No you don't have to the gun and it are both empty. Why am I staring at it? Tactical Sequence? But I can shoot them faster going 2-2-2. It does not matter do what you are told. After today I crave the freestyle of USPSA. Shooting in the rain if necessary. I did shoot Carry/Production gun today with the IWB holster. There was not gaming at all. Shot well enough point wise except for one stage.

Finished 2nd in Stock Service Pistol. 74.31 to 74.56. The mike while shooting on the move, or the procedural made the difference. Both were stupid. Signed up for the IDPA State match.

4/9/2013

Still no results from South Central and only 47 shooters. Should be up by now.

Live Fire this evening. It was hot and cold. I worked on table top pick up from an awkward position both with 9mm and rimfire. Did a little shooting on the move with rimfire and 9mm. I did Front SIght forward at 12, 15 and 25 yards. Some were great and some sucked ass. I did a lousy job of calling shots. Did some trigger control practice with the rimfire. It went ok.

Shooting Production is proving to be a bitch. I am impatient with the progress I am making and that is likely not helping the situation. Battle in the Bluegrass on Saturday. I am looking forward to the match.

Battle in the Bluegrass was yesterday and it was the worst match performance of my life. I had at least 13 miles and a no shoot. Many but not all of the mikes were at distance, and head shots at distance. Several others were barley into the hardcover and there was much hardcover to hit. I was shooting a combination of lead bullets and Bayou bullets. After lunch with the exception of stage 4 which I decided to just shoot as fast as I could, I shot carefully and felt like I was doing my part on the sights and the trigger but the results were nothing like I expected to see on cardboard.

I began to believe that my gun was part of the problem. I took it out this morning and cleaned it. I shot three 10 rounds groups from 28 yards and from sand bags. I took my time on each shot and felt all of the trigger presses were of a high quality. I shot thirty rounds of Green Bayou Bullets and 30 rounds of lead. The groups all sucked. The bullets grouped badly and in different directions.

I did not have much fun yesterday, but the stages were good and the match was tough. My Production gun is enitrely inadequate for shooting a Major match. Yesterday and this morning proved this to me. I am not buying a Production gun to shoot for the year. I plan to keep practicing with the carry gun and perhaps shoot some club matches with it still, but the Year of Production is over.

Other that SS Nationals I am back to Limited.

Edited by Coach

Battle in the Bluegrass was yesterday and it was the worst match performance of my life. I had at least 13 miles and a no shoot. Many but not all of the mikes were at distance, and head shots at distance. Several others were barley into the hardcover and there was much hardcover to hit. I was shooting a combination of lead bullets and Bayou bullets. After lunch with the exception of stage 4 which I decided to just shoot as fast as I could, I shot carefully and felt like I was doing my part on the sights and the trigger but the results were nothing like I expected to see on cardboard.

I began to believe that my gun was part of the problem. I took it out this morning and cleaned it. I shot three 10 rounds groups from 28 yards and from sand bags. I took my time on each shot and felt all of the trigger presses were of a high quality. I shot thirty rounds of Green Bayou Bullets and 30 rounds of lead. The groups all sucked. The bullets grouped badly and in different directions.

I did not have much fun yesterday, but the stages were good and the match was tough. My Production gun is enitrely inadequate for shooting a Major match. Yesterday and this morning proved this to me. I am not buying a Production gun to shoot for the year. I plan to keep practicing with the carry gun and perhaps shoot some club matches with it still, but the Year of Production is over.

Coach, I am having the same issues with my M&P Pro 9mm. When I fist got it the accuracy was good. About 4,000 rounds later the accuracy has dropped off dramatically. I have been beating myself up thinking it is my trigger control, grip, blah, blah, blah. Shot my worst Friday Night Steel ever last week.

It's really beginning to piss me off.

After reading your post and benching mine at 30 yards with similar results, I believe it is the gun and not me.

Not sure where to go with ith from here. I have read where a new recoil spring will help, maybe an after market barrel. I plan on staying with Production. Might be time to look at the XDM 5.25, if I can find one....

Coach, I am having the same issues with my M&P Pro 9mm. When I fist got it the accuracy was good. About 4,000 rounds later the accuracy has dropped off dramatically. I have been beating myself up thinking it is my trigger control, grip, blah, blah, blah. Shot my worst Friday Night Steel ever last week.

It's really beginning to piss me off.

After reading your post and benching mine at 30 yards with similar results, I believe it is the gun and not me.

Not sure where to go with ith from here. I have read where a new recoil spring will help, maybe an after market barrel. I plan on staying with Production. Might be time to look at the XDM 5.25, if I can find one....

I heard the same thing about a recoil spring. I may try and have an aftermarket barrel fitted as well, but it is a back burner project at this point. This does piss me off as well. I knew the gun sucked at longer ranges but with the bullets I was using it was worse. This is too bad as the gun fits my hand well, and is totally reliable which I cannot say for XD's.

the Year of Production is over.

:(

Limited is fine. I am not so arrogant to believe God cares about my shooting to send me a message but i think common sense has tapped me on the shoulder. I saved for years to have Limited guns why not be shooting them. I have enough bullets on the bench to make it through the season. Production was a bad idea and the dumb bastard that talked me into it should never be listened to.

Well that certainly sucks!

I have a production rig that you can use if you like.

I am bagging all my guns the next time I go to the range.

Maybe it's the gun and not me :blush:

No thanks. Limited is fine. I prefer it anyway.

4/14/2013

I got in a 180 rounds live fire session with the SS gun. In a nutshell it went fine. My hits were much better than with the Production gun. Not too much adjustment getting it back in my hand. I am not going to be able to do any dry fire or live fire on Tuesday due to after school commitments. I plan to do a live fire session on Wednesday or Thursday and dry fire the rest of the week. I will be able to shoot some stages on Saturday, and WVPPS is on Sunday.

4/15/2013

First dryfire since March 28th tonight. No heater required in the garage and that was nice. I will have to get the fan out very soon. I worked up a good sweat tonight. I broke out the GH2 Limited gun and started getting back into the groove. I can use the same holster at SS nats so I am opening the season with this gun at least. I plan to shoot Limited on Sunday.

Drill 2:Draws 10 reps went well

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps. It was ok, better than with the Production gun for sure.

Drill 8: 6R6 10 reps went well

Drill 11; 6 RSHO 3 reps went ok.

Drill 12: 6RWHO 3 reps. I sucked ass.

Drill 13: FSF 10 reps went well and I decided to quit right there. Right elbow was hurting like a MF.

Oh, great, just when I was beating on you on the overall, you switch to a gun that's accurate and into my division....and major....

Given the 20+ year age difference you can still hang with the big buck.

Oh, great, just when I was beating on you on the overall, you switch to a gun that's accurate and into my division....and major....

Never again. It was my division before it was yours. That sounds like something Ric Flair said to the Macho Man.

Edited by Coach

Given the 20+ year age difference you can still hang with the big buck.

More than 20.

4/17/2013

Got out on the range with the Limited Gun tonight between rain showers. Alyssa did some drills and shot about 100 rounds. Hopefully she will be shooting on Sunday.

I shot 200 rounds of pracitce and it went ok for the first Limited gun venture since November. I had a couple of mikes in Near to far on the last target and a couple on the third target due to pulling off. I caught myself being sloppy with Front sight focus some and I tried to bear down on the front sight visually during the second half of the shooting and it seemed like I was successful in doing that. I had a mike SHO only. Those are the low lights, or places needing improvement.

High Lights:

My first two runs on Near to Far, when I was cold were clean. I had 35 points out of 40 available with 4.12 seconds and 3.92 seconds.

My third run at Front Sight Forward at 7 yards was 2.23 seconds with a 1.07 draw. Down 7 points but I was pushing pretty hard.

WHO I was not only clean for both runs but had a sub 2 second draw on the second run.

I did a total of three Bill drills and the last one was very good. 30 points and 2.11 seconds with a1.16 draw from surrender. The first two i caught myself thinking and looking at the target during the drill. On the third one I stayed on the front sight and just watched it lift and drop and it was much better than the first two runs which were both 2.37 seconds. I shot some good groups at 30 yards tonight and was pleased with them. I shot some heads at 10-20 yards at the end for accuracy as well.

I write this stuff all down and throw in a binder, but seldom go back and look at it. I am thinking about putting together a personal best sheet. Draws at various distances, time, HF and stuff for various drills. The idea being that I can gauge improvement when it happens. It would be nice to know that was my fastest draw ever, fastest reload ever, and then work to make that time be a regular occrance. Not sure but I might take my written shooting log to the eye doctor tomorrow and do some research for this project in the waiting room. Since I am sure they will frown on table draws with a blue gun.

4-18-2013

Went to the eye doctor today for the second time in my life. The injury from the winter has not healed correctly and is going to require further treatment. Vision was better this evening so I got some dry fire in.

Over the session went very well. a couple of drills were less that adequate. 6RSHO for example was sloppy. Plate transitions were sloppy as well. I kept missing the fourth plate for some reason. I don't think I was snapping my eyes correctly.

Draws, 2R2, 6RWHO and straight plates went well.

Front sight forward seemed slow.

Plan to get some live fire in on Saturday and WVPPS is Sunday. Looking forward to getting back on the range.

I got in a 300 round session with the Single Stack gun yesterday evening. I worked on Front Sight Forward from 7 yards, 12 yards, 15 yards and mostly 25 yards. This went well enough. I only had 2 mikes. Both of them were on the same run at 7 yards. 4 alpha and 2 mike. I was pushing as hard as I could and this was the result. I ran Near to Far clean all four times. SHO and WHO were all very accurate. I shot groups at 25 yards, and I shot post it notes at 12 and 15 yards several times. I tried to work on pressing out higher on the draw stroke. That is an obvious flaw in the match video from Sunday. Might go shoot a bullseye match of sorts tonight at Beech Grove.

Edited by Coach

Never again. It was my division before it was yours. That sounds like something Ric Flair said to the Macho Man.

I beg to differ. I shot SS in USPSA 15 years ago.

I beg to differ. I shot SS in USPSA 15 years ago.

I thought you would be flattered by the Ric Flair comparison. I was not talking about divisions. I was talking about winning and losing.