Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some live fire in on Wednesday of about 200 rounds and it went ok. I have not had the time to type in the results. Shot calling drill went very well. Had a couple of mikes in the Front Sight Forward drill. Pushing with the heel at the 15 yard range and had a couple go high. I had a couple of head shots that I was not aiming for as well. Had one bill drill with six alpha but one was in the head.

I got 300 rounds loaded up for next week last night and cleaned the gun for the weekend. Illinois sectional is looking to be a wet one. I need the stages for certain. South Central cancelled their match on Thursday night due to the forecast and Riley Steel waited to cancell until Friday night. So it looks like it was a good thing that I got signed up for this match.

Day 1 at Illinois:

Speed was about where it should be. Too many mikes. Pulled off of two targets with the dreaded Alpha mike. Had one in hard cover SHO on golden bullet standards. I had a combination trigger freeze and palsey kick in for a half second and put one in the black. Last two stages were good. The heart of the match for our squad is today. Going early in the order today for the first two stages. Good smooth following of my sights through the stage should tranlate into good stages. We will see what a differnce a day makes today.

Weather was better than was expected, and it looks like that may hold out today as well. Chrono was close 166.3.

Stage 3:

+Pace was fine and all but one hit was fine.

-SHO the last target I had some combination of trigger freeze or the palsey kicked in and slowed me a touch,

-First shot WHO was a mike in the hardcover which tarnished an otherwise solid run. So much for the good start.

+Did not get too worked up over the mike.

Stage 4:

+good draw and first position.

-Moved like an old woman to posiiton two.

-Position 3 was some poor shooting on steel which lead to a NPM on the DT. Not a big deal normally but it threw the pace off some and the points killed since I took the time to shoot at the DT but only got the one hit.

-Not a terrible stage but it could have been better with a little better steel shooting. Visual patience is a problem throughout the match.

Stage 5:

-Pulled off the target in the back left corner of the stage.

-Shot wrong 2 steel through the port and they did not activate the max trap. Which caused an extra transition.

-So a slow time and a mike. Not what we are looking for.

Stage 6:

-Decent movement and handled the low port like a professional, but pulled off one target through the port and another mike due to a lack of visual patience.

Stage 7:

-Extra shot on steel but other wise a good run. Move the targets close enough and I can hit them

Stage 8:

+Good load

-Extra shot on small steel. (surprise)

-Slow relaod with choppy movement.

Stage 9:

-Poor shooting on the steel from the first port led to a make up shot after the Max trap was activated and I had a delta, mike, no shoot on the max trap trying to hurry and trashed the score.

-Plan went o crap,extra reload as a result.

+Small popper array went well.

Stage 10:

-Called mike on T2 and it was a good call.

-Shot well on the move.

-dropped the gun coming back from the hallway.

-Extra shot at the last position because of the missed steel earlier. I had hit the edge of the hard cover popper.

Stage 11:

-Extra shots on steel, not following through on the sights.

-Mike on first target after the reload, it was on the target but not touching the perf.

-stage time was good but could have been better with some more accurate shooting.

Stage 1:

+ A good run but a little too late.

Stage 2:

+ decent run

- couple of deltas which dropped me on the score sheets.

Overall pulling off too many targets including steel caused the match performance to suffer. Visual patience was lacking.

Shot the classifier match at Warsaw today. No camera so no video. Shot the match in L10. Shot it clean. Several A class runs and one Master Class run on 99-10 Times Two. The "fun" stage was tough. I did not bother to burn in much of a plan and because it was 64 rounds with terribly small steel on a six sided start. The paper target were half sized and on drop turners and max traps and on a swinger. I was clean on the paper with many extra shots on the steel. I over ran one paper and had to back up. No extra shots on the paper at all and was clean on the day and on the stage from hell. 74 seconds was the second best time that I know of to the point. Score should be out later tonight.

Schedule has been busy and not allowing live fire or dry fire. It will be late any night this week if I can get dry fire in to the schedule.

Mikes on the first stage and slow. Partly due to the one hand shot late. Massive gun issue. Round got turned around and went into the chamber backwards and took a while to get out. Shot well on three of the six stages. More to follow later.

Stage 1:

-A terrible run overall. 2 mikes and a bad time and this is the big reason I did not win the day.

-Dropped the gun a bit after the first position.

-Was not seeing enough of the sights for the hard cover targets. It was unlike me to do this poorly with accuracy.

-Last shot was stupid and slow. The fact that it was need was due to poor shot calling.

Stage 2:

+A good run, saw the sights on every shot, and successfully put the bad stage out of my mind.

-Sweeping motion on the draw instead of pushing straight out high.

-Slow to get first shot off in the first position. (gun down)

-A little slow to get first shot off in the last position.

Stage 3:

+Overall a good run, shot the steel well.

+Good shot calling on the steel.

+Had the gun up and ready while stepping on the footpad which allowed me to get the static and then the max trap.

-I had a delta on the far left target as I moved to the port. Need to move fast but also smoothly. i also figured out where some of my deltas are coming from. I am shift the gun as I leave a posiiton and this is causing the low and to the far side deltas.

Stage 4 String 1:

+I was happy with this string.

+Shot great points. Nearly all Alphas if not all Alphas.

-I was going to shoot on the move but decided not to at the buzzer. I wish I had done it.

-last shot was a little slow. I can move faster.

String 2:

-Draw was slow and scooped it a bit.

-Last shot hit the wall and was a mike. I knew it was a mike when I pulled the trigger. Virginia count stage so I stuck to my plan and took the penalty like a man. Cussed some and moved on. Shoot better and there would be less cussing.

String 3:

+A good string with good hits.

-I held to the left side of the target so that to compensate for my bad trigger control. Good results but better trigger control would be better.

-Not a good draw. Not pushing stright out. Going to work on it this week.

Stage 5:

+A good plan that was simple and straight forward and easy to remember and still effecient.

+Good hits on distant targets.

Stage 6:

-Slow on trigger.

-Did not nail either reload.

- Round got into the chamber backwards somehow.

Suck ass finish.

-

Edited by Coach

I got home tonight and got 190 rounds of live fire in. I started working on calling shots at 25 yards. Draw and fire one shot. I would write down my call and then walk down tape and confirm:

Draw 1.40 Call Mike Hit mike

Draw 1.42 call Alpha hit Charlie (barely)

draw 1.38 call Alpha hit Charlie (barely)

draw 1.52 call alpha hit charlie

draw 1.58 call Alpha hit charlie

draw 1.57 call alpha hit alpha

draw 1.44 call mike hit mike

draw 1.35 call alpha hit charlie

draw 1.43 call alpha hit charlie

Not great but many of these charlies were within a quarter of an inch. better calling than it looks but more work to do.

Draws at 3 yards 1.02, 1.05,1.04, 1.01, 0.95 All were A's on a skinny target with hard cover on both sides. 0.99, 1.07, 1.04 all bravos shooting at the head. 0.93 charlie low.

I also worked some transition on hard cover skinny targets. I worked on moving into positions and shooting around barrels and through ports. It went pretty well.

I shot groups at 25 and 45 yards.

Got home late after the volleyball game, but got some dryfire in.

Drill 2: Draws 10 reps

I worked on technique and pushing straight out. Did not video but I believe I accomplished the goal.

Speed was fine. Overall it went well.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

Felt rusty on this Sunday and so I wanted to get some work in. Went well and made the par times just fine.

Bill Drills: table top pick up 10 reps

Never can get enough trigger pulling for speed. I was driving the gun with the eye well on the pick up. made all the times through the baseline time. Badly bobbled some during the under par time. Plan to work on this again tomorrow night. I am going to get back to my trigger finger exerciser.

Drill 11: 6RSHO 3 reps

went very well.

Drill 12: 6RWHO 3 reps

Went fine until the under par time. not smooth at all there.

I printed out the TSA regulations today in preparation for Limited Nationals. Time is short. I still have to figure out some things for the trip. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Coach

9/19

Crappy day at school, but a good night of dry fire.

Drill 2: Draws 10 reps

went very well and even made 2 or 3 of the under par time.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps

went well

Drill 8 6R6 10 reps

Went well

Plate transitions 10 reps

went well

Drill 11: 6RSHO 3 reps

went well

Drill 12: 6RWHO 3 reps

went well

I also got 300 rounds loaded.

Had a great match at ACC today. Times were decent and it was clean. Small number of deltas total. I have five of six stages on video. Jake needs a reminder every stage it turns out. :)

If someone beat me they shot pretty well. There was some hard cover and a no shoot or two. Nothing too difficult but it went well. Shot steel well today. Taking this as peaking at the right time.

Stage 1:

This stage did not break down well for Limited. There were three required positions and some people turned it into four. There were not many good options but several bad ones. I decided to shoot 20 rounds after the reload, which I don't like to do. I only have 20 in the gun following the reload. My pace was diliberate but I wanted to see the sights lift on every shot. I managed to do it.

+Shot the first position in the right order, bottom target going in because it was open and I could ride the recoil up to T2. I did not fancy backing out on the targets with the no shoot so there was no reason to go in deep for the first shot.

-Should have taken one hand off the gun and pumped the arms more on the move. I have to start doing this better to get to the next level.

+Backed out of position two well and that helped to absorb the reload.

+called shots well on the last magazine. No deltas that I recall.

Stage 2:

Not hard to break down this stage, but I designed it.

+Had the first target shot before my feet stopped in position 1. To get to the next level I need to have two targets shot before I stop in positions like this.

+Points were pretty good on this stage but not perfect. I did get all alphas on the targets with no shoots and managed to keep moving. They were close though.

-Two charlies through second port. (right side) Should have gotten all of those points.

-Extra shot on last two targets were not needed but I was being aggressive and could not be sure of the hits. I was at the edge of my shooting on the move range.

Stage 3:

Sucked it up here. Worst shooting of the day. It was a slow draw. I pushed out to hard and the muzzle bounced. It is visible.

-Evidently I hit PP2 low as it did not fall but the hit is audible. I called it good and then had to transition back with the extra shot.

Stage 4:

Once again a good stage that was easy to break down.

-I meant to back out more on the first array.

-I meant to roll through the two targets through the port but failed to do so, at least partly because I did not back out far enough from the last target. The 180 was a concern for the right hand back side of this stage. Some people went to the far back right hand target first. I decided against that because going forward would be harder to roll through the port and it would give me less space to reload before the door and I wanted to do that.

-Slow to get first shot off after the door.

-slow moving from left to right once through the door.

+No extra shots on the plates.

Stage 5:

+Good draw. Good but not great. I forgot to ask the time.

+Backed out of position one pretty well.

-I planed to have one paper target shot on the move going into position 2, but I failed to do so.

+Shot steel well, snapped the eyes well.

-Sloppy on the swinger. Did not aim. 1 charlies and 2 delta and I knew it was bad at the time.

+Last six targets were all alpha except for 1 charlie.

+Good strong finish.

Edited by Coach

Finally got some springs and other hardware ordered that I am over due on getting. Should be here by the end of the week. Guns will fit in storage case for the flight and borrowed a suitcase today that should get the job done. Chronoed some rounds and was a little light. Need to get that fixed and will work on it tomorrow evening. I need to work some more on distance and activators with steel.

130 rounds of live fire this evening. Hope to get back out there wednesday evening, but I have to get some loaded first.

Started out with draw and fire one at 25 yards and practice calling the shot:

Call time Hit

A 1.44 B

C 1.44 A

A 1.40 A

A 1.35 A

A 1.33 A

A 1.26 C

A 1.40 A

A 1.28 M Saw the sights and the target with the same focus as I broke this shot.

A 1.25 D

A 1.21 B

Draws at 3 yards: .99, .90, .89, .86, .83, .81 Bravo, .88, .82, .89, Bravo headshot, .92 alpha headshot

tranistions on hard cover skinny targets

Draw time points

1.48 8.47 42 1 mike

1.37 8.14 58

1.29 8.29

Did some good group shooting at 25 yards.

Looking at nationals stages today. Going to dry fire table starts more this next three weeks. I am going to keep up the SHO and WHO for the standards stuff as well. Reloads to be practiced in the dry fire as well.

Stage on at ACC on Sunday had been altered at some point Daniel said. He had a target set to be engaged up range on the right side. It was the way we shot it the first time I walked on the range. I hate it when people move targets around to suit their needs.

Stage on at ACC on Sunday had been altered at some point Daniel said. He had a target set to be engaged up range on the right side. It was the way we shot it the first time I walked on the range. I hate it when people move targets around to suit their needs.

The first/most uprange one was on the other side of the barrels, to where you could take it from the "doorway" on Saturday. I'd figured it was a Sunday morning change to move it back behind them.

The first/most uprange one was on the other side of the barrels, to where you could take it from the "doorway" on Saturday. I'd figured it was a Sunday morning change to move it back behind them.

I guess it was just not an approved change. I hate it when those type of people do that stuff. Most likely someone who does not do much set up or tear down. We had a rash of that crap going on two years ago. I would like to catch someone doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out to South Central this morning. Have not touched the Limited Gun since ACC two weeks ago. Weekends have been filled with private instruction and school, kids and volleyball filling the evenings. This match is supposed to be tricked out with activators and steel. Should have video this evening.

I will break this down later on when I find the time. Shot well for no practice this week or last. Tried to call shots and see the sight lift and not be stupid. Worked pretty well. I had a good day of calling shots. 1 mike in the hard cover that I backed out of a position on, which was being a little aggressive. No extra shots on steel that missed. I had an extra on the texas star because it caught on one pin and got hung up. Last match before nationals went well. Someone had to have a great match in Limited to beat me. We shall see. I test some magazines that I bought early in the year and just got new followers and springs into them. They all worked. Plenty to do this week before flying out to Las Vagas.