Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Live fire scheduled with the girls today. (Bill and Jake) One of them is upset by continued poor performance and has even agreed that practice may in fact matter.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live fire scheduled with the girls today. (Bill and Jake) One of them is upset by continued poor performance and has even agreed that practice may in fact matter.

Say it ain't so. I bet he won't admit that publicly.

Have a good practice session.I'm going to force myself to dryfire this evening.

Yes I will. I am nowhere near where I should be because I do not practice. I don't dry fire and other than today I have only been to coach's to practice to other times.

I am mad at myself for letting this happen. I have been content with mediocre performance and have hid in limited 10 instead of trying to shoot up to my potential in limited.

And I don't weigh 340, not that I am celebrating 316 either.

I am going to shoot the section match in limited, and practice so that I can win master class this year.

Yes I will. I am nowhere near where I should be because I do not practice. I don't dry fire and other than today I have only been to coach's to practice to other times.

I am mad at myself for letting this happen. I have been content with mediocre performance and have hid in limited 10 instead of trying to shoot up to my potential in limited.

And I don't weigh 340, not that I am celebrating 316 either.

I am going to shoot the section match in limited, and practice so that I can win master class this year.

You may be turning over a new leaf.

I was hitting the dryfire regularly through the winter then I got really busy at work,my son bought a house and I got way behind on projects at home.

I haven't been to the range to practice since March.That is not like me.I need to get off my ass and get busy,but damn it's hot :)

Live fire did not go real well. Some good momment but some others that we are trying to forget.

Damn poppers

Damn no shoots, damn activated target.

Poppers I did OK.

How is that anyway?? How can I nail the popper array 3 times in a row and suck at the rest of the arrays?

How's the barn coming Coach?

After figuring the hit factors from live fire it was not as bad as it appeared last night when I was tired. It was not the best practice but it followed a great practice from last week. Reload and draws were a 1/10 or two slower. SHO and WHO was favorable. Small poppers could have been better any they will get better. Bill Drills were a personal disappointment last night. Pushing too hard on those. The max trap array was tough and I got it done a few times clean.

No progress on the barn. Too dry to burn and so I have no torn any more down. Going swimming this afternoon with the kids so it is not coming down more today.

Dry fire 6/28

I did draws, transitions, reloads, SHO, WHO, straight plates and it went well. I did ten reps per drill except SHO and WHO. I plan to do a second session this evening on bill drills and trigger speed. Royce and I loaded a little ammo this morning after watching some Big Ten Wreslting on TV.

6/29

Dry fire for today went very well. I did a little bit of dry fire today as I was making a product review video. The shooting went a whole lot better than my on camera talking did.

Dryfire:

Bill Drills 10 reps went well

Drill 2 draws 10 reps went well

Drill 15 2R2 10 reps went well getting close to dropping the baseline on this one. Reloads are much better than in January

Drill 29 Straight plates 10 reps went well

Drill 30 Plate transitions 10 reps went well

Drill 34 Plates reload SHO 3 reps went well

Drill 35 Plates reload WHO 3 reps went well

I have an instructional League tomorrow at RCC. So I should get in around 200 rounds live fire. If I get some live fire in tomorrow that means I will have had a gun in my hands 20/30 days of June. The middle of the month was a little sparse.

Here is the product review. It would have been really good on the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qBBXzrRtWw

Oxford Ohio Club match:

It was my first time in Oxford. It was a nice little club match and not very much further for me than South Central and I got to go past the old home place. Had a mike WHO on stage 5. I had a mike on Stage 3, just trying to go too fast. I was slow on Stage 2 which was a memory stage but really good points. Stage 4 was fast and very good points as well. Stage one was the classifier which did not get filmed, but was a solid A class run. (all the points in 6.25 seconds)

Stage 5: A standards stage with four strings. Distance was 14 yards

We started here. I was pretty happy with the first two strings. Sight focused, called the shots and the pace was fine. SHO was ok but dropped a few points. WHO had a mike on T1 and a delta somewhere else, neither of which should have happened. Time was fine. Need to get the hits. The mike put a kink in an otherwise good start. I have to improve on getting off to a good start in matches. I tend to be a slow started and strong finisher.

Stage 1: Paper Poppers did not film

All the points in 6.25 seconds which is a A class run. One for one on the steel with a decent reload. A nice rally from the mike in the first stage.

Stage 2: A 32 round memory stage. A tough enough memory stage. It took a long time to formulate a plan and once I did I did not experiement with tweaking it. I should have looked to tweak the plan before the match started. I noticed one way to improve it while on deck but decided not to change anything at that point. I was down 7 points on the stage so the accuracy was there. I made three extra shots. Two of the targets with make up shots had three hits but in both cases one was a delta or a perf charlie. The other target had two hits only. Being a positive kind of guy I am going to say good shot calling. However one of thos extra shots required and extra transition.

-slow draw, slow reload, slow with the feet, and an average plan meant slow stage time. Rather like kissing your sister. I think the crappy execution was the problem rather than poor plan.

Stage 3: Run and gun for certain.

- The 180 and trigger freeze were concerns here.

-Could have been more aggressive with the feet. At the time I felt like I was hauling ass, but watching it on video I look slow.

+ I was feeling pretty good about my little trick of shooting SHO while moving and while drawing the mag, but I pissed it away with the mike on the fourth target after the reload. I needed this hit. It was Alpha Mike and the mike was on the stick and the target was turned away from me and very skinny. i think the two hits were about 2 inches apart. I need a sight picture on this target better than my fist in the middle of the target. I Jaked the sight pictures here and it bit me in the ass. Sonofabitch

Stage 4: 24 rounds and four positions.

Our squad ended here. It was hot and humid by this point in the day. I had a good solid run here. I was down 3-5 points and pretty fast I think. 11.98 seconds. I saw the sights here on each shot and that is why the points were so good. I need to shoot like this on each stage.

It is the first of July and time to reflect on how the training and improvement is going in 2012. I plan to sit back and think about it and put down some thoughts on the subject.

Edited by Coach

I shot about 250 rounds yesterday. I shot several runs of near to far. Some was good and others had mikes. Had some success at calling shots. I shot an 11 round array which included three pieces of steel and did it from 15 yards. This went pretty well. Wind was blowing gently in my face and it was full of smoke from the lead bullets.

I shot a bill drill in 1.99, which is my fastest ever. I could not see the target after shot three but kept shooting. 5 alpha and a Mike. I celebrating just getting the rounds off in under two seconds. Now to do it consistently and with the hits. None the less it is a breakthrough.

Jake sent me some links to Bob Vogel. He was doing the mozambique drill at 6 feet in 0.93 seconds. I did it twice. First time was 1.35 and the second 1.29. Bob is impressive.

I also fired 260- 300 rounds of rimfire working on snapping the eyes and transitions. I also tried to working on reacting to the buzzer, this is something I need to focus on and improve.

Got the results from Ohio. Beat everyone in Limited except Jake. I went over there wanting to beat somefolks and win the division. I got half of it done.

Shooting the steel match on Saturday at Riley, shooting live again this evening, and friday evening. No match on Sunday will be taking the family on a small trip to celebrate Alyssa's 13th birthday.

July 4

Got some dryfire in during the AM prior to families activities.

Bill Drill 10 reps went well

Drill 2 draws 10 reps went well

Drill 34 Plates RSHO 3 reps went well

Drill 35 Plates RWHO 3 reps went well

Drill 8 6R6 10 reps went ok but could have been a little smoother. Have not done this one in over a month.

July 5

Heat wave continues.

dryfire early this afternoon:

Bill drills: 10 reps went very well. I feel trigger speed is getting better.

Dril 2: Draws: 10 reps went well again, I tried to work on reaction time to the buzzer during these first two drills and it seemed to be happening.

Drill 34: Plates RSHO 3 reps went well

Drill 35: Plates RWHO 3 reps went well

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps: went well The progress made on reloads since January seems obvious to me. It is much smoother and easier to make the par times.

Drill 8: 6 reload 6 10 reps went very well and was much smoother than yesterday.

Need to get some live fire this evening if the heat will allow. Need to do some reloading as well. Going to shoot a steel match on Saturday. I plan to shoot the Limited gun and the .22 and maybe a third gun. Need the accuracy of a steel match in the practice routine.

On Saturday I shot two guns in the Riley Steel match. It was hot. I shot slow, but I won both divisions. Not saying much as it was a small match without many experienced shooters. It was good practice.

I have been gone for two days and did nothing with a gun since I was out of town. I plan to get back to dryfire this morning. I loaded up 300 rounds on the new 650 last night before breaking it. I hope to get it up and running this morning. State match is just a month away.

7/10

Bill drills 10 reps Trigger speed went well. Felt like I reacted to the buzzer a little better as well.

Drill 2 draws: 10 reps continues to be a strength and if I can get my reaction to the buzzer to be better there is time to be gained.

Drill 15: 2R2 10 reps Went really well, and I am pleased with the progress that has been made so far in 2012.

Drill 8: 6R6 10 reps Went well

Drill 29 Straight plates 10 reps, had a few slow times, but went ok.

Drill 34: Plates reload SHO 3 reps went well

Drill 35: Plates reload WHO 3 reps went well

Live Fire tomorrow afternoon.