Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

Coach, just wanted to say that I'm impressed. Your diary is great and I'd always take your advice.......even unsolicited, lol. I hope you are getting that SHO/WHO live fire in, I hear SS Nationals loves that stuff, plus the long shots. Good luck to you. See you on the range, hopefully Warsaw?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach, just wanted to say that I'm impressed. Your diary is great and I'd always take your advice.......even unsolicited, lol. I hope you are getting that SHO/WHO live fire in, I hear SS Nationals loves that stuff, plus the long shots. Good luck to you. See you on the range, hopefully Warsaw?

Planning on Warsaw in May. I might even make North Porter County this weekend. I was clean at the Special Classifier this weekend. So the SHO and WHO is ok. I need to step it up on the speed a little bit. Someone over 300 pounds is telling me to trust what I am seeing and let it go. He is right to a certain degree.

A little footage from Sunday's Special classifier.

I am headed out to dryfire for one of the last few times before SS nats. I watched some super squad video from last years match and I am greatly encouraged. It looked like a match I would have enjoyed shooting. I decided to change the routine for the next three evenings. More about that later.

Edited by Coach

Someone over 300 pounds is telling me to trust what I am seeing and let it go. He is right to a certain degree.

Your mom giving you shooting advise again?

4/30

Great night of dryfire. One of the very best sessions I have ever had. After watching Sunday's video and looking at scores a bit, and watch some video of SS nationals last year. I am getting relaxed about this match. I have worked long and hard with several guns for the past month. I have gotten to do a lot of dry fire and quite a bit of live fire for me. Feeling like the skill set has been elevated some in the past month and I will add the last night of polish to things tomorrow night in dry fire. Wednesday night will be live fire and clean the gun night. Thursday is travel. Hope Black Barry makes the trip. He is sleeping with Jake if he does.

I am going to try and be relaxed on Friday and just shoot. I want to be focues on the situation and paying attention to the shooting and let the results take care of themselves.

Today I decided to work on draws, reload, turn and draw and Bill Drills. Short courses means the draw will be important. I did a total of 60 draws tonight and 50 of them on the clock. It went well. I even pulled the trigger on about half of them instead of just prepping the trigger as SA suggests.

I did 40 draw fire 2 reload fire 2. 30 on the clock. I did 30 table top pick up fire 2 reload fire 2. 20 of them on the clock. Best session of reloads with the SS gun ever. It is getting better.

I did 40 turn and fire 2,2,2 and 30 of them on the clock. Much better than the last two weeks on this have been in live fire. I did 2o more turn and fire 2 on a much faster time. This also went well.

The last part was Bill drills. I did 40 from the table with 30 on the timer. I did forty more from the holster with 30 on the timer. Went great. This continues to be an area in which I am weak and it will continue to be an area of focus.

I have some gear to organize tomorrow and the last session of dry fire before the match.

Someone over 300 pounds is telling me to trust what I am seeing and let it go. He is right to a certain degree.

No and she is way under 300 pounds.

5/1

Being stood up for Practice tomorrow night by both Jake and Bill. Tonights dryfire was a bit of a mental struggle for a few minutes. School sucked today and I brought some of that baggage home. I got it out of my head and things went well.

Draws:

No time = 10 reps

1.0 = 10

0.9 = 10

0.8 = 10

0.7 = 10

no time = 5

I pulled the trigger on every rep.

Reloads:

no = 10, 2.5 = 30 2.4 = 10

Turn and Draw:

no = 5,

firing 6

2.1 = 10

2.0 = 10

1.9 = 10

firing 2

1.4 = 10

1.3 = 10

1.2 = 6

Bill drills:

Holster: 1.5 = 5, 1.4 = 10, 1.3 = 5

table top 1.5 = 20, 1.4 =10, 1.3 =10

Another good polishing session.

Live fire alone tomorrow night. If it is raining I will take that a God saying take the night off.

Black Barry has been unable to secure permission and is looking doubtful for this trip.

No and she is way under 300 pounds.

Still pretty big for a Chinese gal....

200 rounds of live fire stuff tonight. Not really practice. Did some drills and pushed the time. I have been shooting clean in the last couple of outings but a little slow. I pushed it some to see where the edge is. Reloads and draws went well tonight. Weak hand was great. SHO came around. Tested a couple of extra mags and shot a few groups. I am as ready as I can be for SS nats.

I would like to shoot each stage smooth and relaxed.

I would like to follow my sights through each stage.

I would like to shoot it clean, but not overly conservative.

Staying at the Icehouse so that should prove to be an adventure. Some of the places Jake picks! But this was my idea. Looking forward to this trip for some reason.

Watched stage 6 on Britinusa site. You looked good. Keep it up brother!!

Edited to say: couldn't get Jake's video to play, someone needs to tell that Britinusa guy that Jake needs filmed with special equipment.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

Computer has been rebuilt and I am partially back in business here. I have video to enter but have to get software installed first. Hopefully next week. Plenty to post here now that I have my laptop back.

New hard drive in the computer. Have to get movie maker back to do my video. It will be at least another week for that to get done. I am way behind on this log.

Single Stack Nationals is over. I finished 75th, and am a little disappointed by that. I had few mikes too many and some standing reloads for one shot on a couple of others. I never really got going in the match but as normal I got better as the day went along. I am traditionally a slow starter and a strong finisher and that is what happened for the most part.

I enjoyed SS nationals and thought it was a good match. We shot on Friday. We did not get to walk the stages with the match book because we got in too late the night before. Got to the range late and walked up the hill and had to be the first shooter of the squad. Mike, no shoot on the on the first stage and a rough start to say the least. It had to move up from there and it did. I did not DQ and did not go to open and finished in the top third in a division I hardly shoot. Will have some video at some point.

We got rained on in the morning and the sun beat down on us in the afternoon. My gun, and all my gear worked fine. As of right now I want to shoot this match again next year and finish higher.

Came home and slept in on Saturday and did some reloading. Went to Porter County for a club match on Sunday. Three hour drive to get the Limited gun out. Three mikes on the day, which is unacceptable. I had to little failures to extract on light loads that cost me big time as well. Finished third and that sucks. Clean would have won the day. Stages were good. Video to follow at some point.

Warsaw from May 13, 2012

Won Limited in a field of 16, by a good margin. Shot well for the most part but not perfect.

Edited by Coach

New hard drive in the computer. Have to get movie maker back to do my video. It will be at least another week for that to get done. I am way behind on this log.

Single Stack Nationals is over. I finished 75th, and am a little disappointed by that. I had few mikes too many and some standing reloads for one shot on a couple of others. I never really got going in the match but as normal I got better as the day went along. I am traditionally a slow starter and a strong finisher and that is what happened for the most part.

I enjoyed SS nationals and thought it was a good match. We shot on Friday. We did not get to walk the stages with the match book because we got in too late the night before. Got to the range late and walked up the hill and had to be the first shooter of the squad. Mike, no shoot on the on the first stage and a rough start to say the least. It had to move up from there and it did. I did not DQ and did not go to open and finished in the top third in a division I hardly shoot. Will have some video at some point.

We got rained on in the morning and the sun beat down on us in the afternoon. My gun, and all my gear worked fine. As of right now I want to shoot this match again next year and finish higher.

Came home and slept in on Saturday and did some reloading. Went to Porter County for a club match on Sunday. Three hour drive to get the Limited gun out. Three mikes on the day, which is unacceptable. I had to little failures to extract on light loads that cost me big time as well. Finished third and that sucks. Clean would have won the day. Stages were good. Video to follow at some point.

The alluding to your poor performance on the first stage as a result of being a little behind getting to the range is laughable.....it was a pick up the gun fire 6 rounds at 3 targets, reload and 6 more.

At 5 yards, too bad you missed the walkthru!

Oh know, wait we didn't and you still had a 5 minute walk thru.

Edited by JakeMartens

5/16

dryfire with Limited Gun. It is nice to have the Limited gun back in my hands for the rest of the season. I have been recovering and catching up on other things since SS nats. But got back to it tonight.

drill 2: draws 6 reps

I made all the par times and felt very smooth. I even made the under baseline times. This drill went very well.

Drill 15: 2R2 9 reps

Two bobbled on the firs timed set, and then settled down and made them all fairly simply. This went well also. I moved the times down 1/10 of a second. A month on the SS gun seems to have paid big dividends for Limited.

Bill Drills from table top; 9 reps

Went very well. If the next session goes like this I will drop the par times by a tenth.

Drill 11: 6RSHO 3 reps

This drill went well also. Made all the times.

Drill 12: 6Rwho 3 reps

Made the times. Went well

I also fired 260 round of rimfire on steel. Worked on breaking shots as I got into a position. Also worked on snapping the eyes.

Back in the saddle and live fire practice with Bill tomorrow night.

The alluding to your poor performance on the first stage as a result of being a little behind getting to the range is laughable.....it was a pick up the gun fire 6 rounds at 3 targets, reload and 6 more.

At 5 yards, too bad you missed the walkthru!

Oh know, wait we didn't and you still had a 5 minute walk thru.

I was rushed and not ready after the walk up the hill. Perhaps you just feel guilty for not knowing what was going on and making us late. I blame you, the gun, USPSA, the Arab-Israeli conflict, and it turns out I am right. Some other shit has come to light.

I know you see it different, but not so many warts to me. SS is not your normal gun. You trained hard and got in the top 1/4 of the field against mostly SS only type shooters. At some point, I'm going to shoot this match (bucket list) and it'd be great to go down there with you.

Edited to add. Jake is welcome if you're still inclined at that point.

Edited by Chris iliff

I know you see it different, but not so many warts to me. SS is not your normal gun. You trained hard and got in the top 1/4 of the field against mostly SS only type shooters. At some point, I'm going to shoot this match (bucket list) and it'd be great to go down there with you.

Edited to add. Jake is welcome if you're still inclined at that point.

Let's just plan on doing it again next year. Jake has something to prove. Like that he can keep mags in pouches.

As far as warts they are there. I should not have to reload for one shot. It happened twice. The next to last stage on the video was a disaster. There was discussion as to if the Drop turner could be shot. I showed them that it could be done. I missed the steel after that and it ruined me. Manny Bragg did the same thing.

I think the month of dryfire with the ss gun burt me in club matches for the short term. In the long term reloading a Limited gun is easy now.