Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coach's 2012 Shooting Log

Coach

A quick look at video and thinking about the match:

I got off to a better start than I normally do. I got up and dry fired a little bit in the hotel room. I think that was a good idea. Not rushed in the formation of plans. I had three mikes and 7 deltas on the day. One mike I called and forgot to go back and shoot again on Stage 7. I shot 20 through them middle port and did not have the ability to make it up right away. The other one was on the swinger on stage 7 it was iffy and I knew it. The other was on Stage 10 between the activators and I simply did not call it, or even aim that I can remember. I had a jam on Stage 6 that cost me 5 seconds.

Other than the obvious injury things were solid. Trying to take whatever positives there are away from this. Got some theories on the jam and I am going to research that situation more fully tonight.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emotions are a bit mixed over this injury. First off I am very glad that it was not as bad as it could have been. I am relieved that surgury is not necessary, and the rest of the season is not in jeopardy. But I feel like one third of the match at Ohio was stolen from me, and I am a little fired up over that. Looking forward to Area 5 and getting back on the range for a major match.

Mailed in the slot for Limited Nationals this morning on the way to school. The commitment has been laid down.

That is great news Coach! I'm glad it's healing well. Please look at it differently. Yes, you were having a rocking kick ass match. No one doubts that. But what you were robbed of became a "gift" for the rest of the squad. By your actions you set an example of sportsmanship, integrity, character, fortitude, vim, vigor and attitude for everyone to follow.

You had no control over that injury, could have happened to any of us. I will always remember your fortitude as a source of inspiration if something happens to me, knock on wood.

Edited by Chris iliff

Emotions are a bit mixed over this injury. First off I am very glad that it was not as bad as it could have been. I am relieved that surgury is not necessary, and the rest of the season is not in jeopardy. But I feel like one third of the match at Ohio was stolen from me, and I am a little fired up over that. Looking forward to Area 5 and getting back on the range for a major match.

Mailed in the slot for Limited Nationals this morning on the way to school. The commitment has been laid down.

Log or Diary?

this is starting to read like a "journey"

Log or Diary?

Log. Sometimes the journey can be a calamity. But you knew that already.

Log or Diary?

Log. Sometimes the journey can be a calamity. But you knew that already.

It is starting to smell like a log around here......

just missing some obscure quotes from dead people and recipes for tuna salad sandwiches

5/31/12

Got back to the dryfire routine tonight.

Drill 2 draws 6 reps went very well

Drill 15 2R2 9 reps went very well. I am seeing the result of the live fire reload drill that Bill and I have been doing. The improvement in dryfire, live fire and matches seems evident to me.

Drill 29 straight plates 8 reps - four each direction - went well

Drill 30 plate transitions 6 reps went well

Drill 34 plate strong 3 reps went well

Drill 35 plate weak 3 reps went well.

The month of May saw a gun in my hands 20/31 days. Not as many as April for sure. Things were hectic with school winding down. I am going to strive for another 30 days streak in June. But it will have to start June 2 most likely. I am thinking of doing all drills on paper plates for the month of June in dryfire. I also hope to get back to shooting on the move as the leg heals.

June 4

School is finally out and I am on vacation. Going to hit the dry fire and live fire practice hard in June. 2012 is in its sixth month and time is flying by. I did not get any practice in over the weekend. Saturday I was teaching a Competition class, and Sunday was spent pulling stumps, weed whacking and working around the property. I am sore from head to toe. Standing on the hill beside the pond and some other movement yesterday were noticeable in the calf but it is still healing.

I got up this morning and fed the kids and started the day with dryfire. I plan to do this for a couple of reasons. One so I don't get busy and worn out and not get it done, and second so that I am getting use to performing at the same time of day that matches start. I am hopeful that this will help me get off to better starts in major matches.

Today went well but was laborious. The soreness and the aches and pains were not small thing, but I got through it.

Drill 2: draws 6 reps, went well

Drill 29: straight plates, 8 reps 4 each direction. was very pleased witht the performance here.

Drill 30: Plate transitions 6 reps went well

Drill 34: Plates reload strong 3 reps went well. a few do overs here.

Drill 35: Plates reload weak, 3 reps went so well that I might be left handed.

Drill 15: 2 reload 2 went well but took a few reps to get up to speed.

Planning on doing the plate drills for the month as the basis of the dryfire routine. I have the ammo for Area 5 loaded. Need to get ammo loaded for practice and the classes I am teaching this weekend. A little rain here this morning so that may be where the focus goes. Need to finish up around the pond this morning.

June 5

Second day in a row of working in the morning. I started before 7 am hoping to be done before the kids woke up. I did not make it. Pretty sore and stiff today.

Drill 2:Draws 6 reps went well

Drill 15: 2R2 9 reps went well

Drill 29: Straight plates 8 reps went well

Drill 30: Plate transitions 6 reps Slow at the 3 second par time some of the reps

Drill 34: Plates reload SHO 3 reps went well

Drill 35: Plates reload WHO 3 reps went well

Operation Barn has officially begun. Alyssa and I hauled six pick up loads of stuff to the fire today. No injuries.

June 6

Well I did not invade France today, but I have got in some dry fire this morning, loaded some ammo and worked on tearing down the barn. Four more loads of wood to the fire today. 200 rounds loaded.

Did draws, reloads, straigh plates and bill drills this morning for just over a half hour. Planning on live fire this afternoon even though I will be on my own. Work is taking Bill this afternoon, and Jake has not made a practice session in over a month and half despite scheduling them on days that he 'needed" them to be scheduled.

Area 5 coming up next week. I have not worked on any movement because of the leg. I plan to not work on it today either. draws, reloads, and tranisitions. My goals are to shoot the match clean, and have 8 deltas or less. I don't want to be real conservative with times to get this done. Just want to see what I need to see to get the job done. Let the results be what they are.

June 6

Well I did not invade France today, but I have got in some dry fire this morning, loaded some ammo and worked on tearing down the barn. Four more loads of wood to the fire today. 200 rounds loaded.

Did draws, reloads, straigh plates and bill drills this morning for just over a half hour. Planning on live fire this afternoon even though I will be on my own. Work is taking Bill this afternoon, and Jake has not made a practice session in over a month and half despite scheduling them on days that he 'needed" them to be scheduled.

Area 5 coming up next week. I have not worked on any movement because of the leg. I plan to not work on it today either. draws, reloads, and tranisitions. My goals are to shoot the match clean, and have 8 deltas or less. I don't want to be real conservative with times to get this done. Just want to see what I need to see to get the job done. Let the results be what they are.

I said tues or thurs, but someone had date night.

I am fat and move slow, not a lot of practice is going to help that....gotta go in line at Mcdonalds

June 6

Live fire using classic targets

Draws at 3 yards = .95, 0.94, 0.90, 0.87 all alpha

Draws at 12 yards = 1.07, 1.07 1.04, 1.06, 1.01 all charlies, 1.20, 1.02, 1.09, 1.08, 1.01, 1.01,1.02 all alpha

Reload were decent but a little slower than last week. Very sore from the barn destruction. I am blaming that.

Bill drills at 7 yards classic targets

2.26 30 points

2.16 28 points

2.27 29 points

2.13 29 points

Did 2-2-2 at 7 yards, 12 yards, 15 yards, 20 yards It went well at 7,12, 15

20 yards needs some more work.

The big step forward on the night was calling shots. I called some mikes, and deltas exactly right. Sometimes I made the extra shot and sometimes I could not. But I feel like I was recognizing the need for the extra shot more tonight than even before.

I had a run with SHO that was five alpha and 1 mike. That is frustrating. A nearly great run ruined.

Last nights live fire also included some group shooting at 35 and 50 yards. The post it note drill at 12 yards went well. I got 8 out of 9 the first time and 8 out of 9 the second time. Missed the same one both times but a 1/4 inch.

June 7

Got dry fire in this morning. Used the GH2 Limited Gun. I am going to shoot it this weekend.

Bill Drills 6 reps went well but had trouble making the baseline times.

Drill 2 Draws: 6 reps went well

Drill 15 2R2: 9 reps went well. I am very pleased with the progress made on this skill.

Drill 29 straight plates 8 reps. went well

Drill 30 plate transitions 6 reps, went ok. I had to do some extras at 3 second time to get six in that were good. If I was slow or called a mike on one I did not count it. Probably had to do 9 to get the six good ones.

Drill 34 Plates reload strong: went really well. Probably my best drill this morning.

drill 35 Plates reload weak: went well also

Thanks Coach!! The League Shoot at Warsaw was GREAT!! I learned a ton and put that to immediate use the next day!! Don't think I Ever ran a stage as good as the last one!! 15.18 seconds, 32 rounds, just one of the best stages I ever ran. Thanks again for all your input and advice.

Finished 2nd at Warsaw last weekend. I forgot the camera so no video. jake was my backup camera plan but he slept in and did not show.

Been tearing the barn down for the last two days so no live fire or dry fire. But as a bonus I am pretty sore and sun burnt. Headed out to the range today to do some live fire. Will report later.

WWell if I would have known that I had this to do I might have made it.

It was going to be a surprise.

Had a round refuse to go into battery today on the live fire. It case gauges perfectly. It was a green bullet. Reminds me of about four jams that were similar this spring with the brazos. Something smells fishy.