Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a Custom Gun

ty34984

Ok so when you order a gun and spec it out like you want and are told a delivery date. How long after that do you wait to ask about it. Im wondering if you then start complaining for the gun doi they rush it togeather and give you crap? might be the wrong place but need some advise. thanks

Give your 'smith a polite call and see what he has to say. Gun building is like home remodeling, the delivery date is a best gestimate. Life happens, parts become back ordered and the manufacturing company misses their delivery date, etc, etc. I personally wouldn't complain unless it's been like 8 or 10 months but I work in an industry where delivery "dates" are purely delivery estimates.

I know of a custom shotgun smith, that if you piss off, will just tell you where to shove your receiver.

I've seen it go both ways. Some guys give lenient deliveries and simply won't give an actual date so that they never end up missing a date that they never gave.

I've also seen guys who give 10 different dates and never make any of them and then get mad at you when you finally get mad and ask politely for your money back.

Regardless of the dates, as the end of the waiting period approaches, we all start getting excited and nervous. Take a chill pill and let it happen when it will. You are probably going to love it when it it gets here anyway.

how ever many weeks it is, double it

plus you are talking about right around the holidays. Many gunsmiths use other vendors for various parts and for having the gun done in certain finishes and are relying on them to also be current with their delivery times.

im guessing i will just ask for my money back and be done with it ...really kinda sucks

The big problem is lack of communication. If you have emailed and called for a month and he has not answered, then I'd be really pissed. Late I can deal with, not talking to you is unacceptable.

Hopefully he will respond with a reason and a completion date.

I have had more than one custom built gun. I spent a lot of time making the decision on who would do the building.

Try this perspective: Gunsmiths as a general rule relate to the inanimate parts better than humans. They work alone, responsible for each step in the process of putting together something that bears their marks. Maybe they are not great at estimating their timelines or communicating.

The bottom line is there is a lack of communication between you and the gunsmith. Not placing any blame here just a fact.

In order to make this a win - win situation, which at this point I assume both parties want, you need to open the direct line of communication with your gunsmith.

There are three fundamentals concepts of interaction management:

1. Listen and respond with empathy.

2. Maintain and enhance self esteem.

3. As others for help.

If this does not work, let the forum know. And it will respond with a variety of solutions.

Dont know how long you been waiting...but I just got a custom gun from a smith that actually gives you a delivery date...seemed every thing was exactly on schedule til it went to hard chrome 1 week before thanks giving...I recieved that gun almost 4 weeks after that first quoted date and I am happy with that. For a custom gun that would be punctual . But communications were always open..if i asked a question (by Email) it was answered that day.

that other custom gun i had built was about 2 1/2 month's late. I have a couple of buddies waiting om guns from prominent builders that are all running near 3 month's later that quoted. Nature of the Beast :excl:

Edited by nipplehead

I am haveing my first balster built right now so i cant comment on the due date thing. One thing i can comment on is that my pistolsmith has been very good with communication. If i ask him a question he answers usually within 24 hours. I, as a buyer, love the open communication. I believe that my pistolsmith goes above and beyond by answering questions within 24 hours. I would think 72 hours to reply to an email would be acceptiable. im sure the holidays have slowed things down, as i am sure he likes to spend time with his family as well. I believe that you should try calling too. But the bottom line is that this is an artwork and timeframes cannot always be exact but communication should be at least half open and he should let you know to keep waiting or if he would like let you know why it is taking longer. But again this is my first gun i have had built and it is still early in the process.

When Gary at Ganns was building my open gun shortblock I received e-mails almost nightly. He would send pictures of the progress as well. I sent him a box of parts and in less than a week he was done with the project. His work was awesome and I felt like I went to the right place for the work I had done. The gun runs perfectly and it looks great.

I would have a bigger problem with the lack of communication than the deadline not being met. The fact that you can not get him on the line and he wont return e-mails would make me crazy. If it all falls through give Gary a shout.

Gary was and is a great gunsmith. I have one built by him and it shoots every time. Some of my friends have pistols built by Gary. I am very sorry he is not building guns anymore. I wish I knew why. I have contacted him and he has responded. But it does not make a logic answers.When you looked at his web site I was amazed how he milled the slides. All his pistols were beautiful and worked quite well. It truly is a sad day that we lost this gunsmith. He built my gun in two weeks and sent pictures. The first day he put the slide on the frame.Unbelievable.

Edited by gunracer38

It sounds like all BS to me. Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. The problem is that they take on more work than they can deliver on.

With my gunsmith it goes like this:

Can you do this for me by, and I give him a reasonable date. He responds yes or no. If during what he is doing, a problem arises, he contacts me, otherwise, I get what I asked for on or before the agreed initial date. No BS and no excuses. In fact I only had one delay & that was during Katrina when the hard chrome guy in Alabama lost power for a couple of weeks.

If your smith won't respond, send him a registered letter with a return reciept required. This will legally start the ball rolling and put him on notice.

A lot of talented folks in many different trades just aren't good business people and/or good communicators. I have been a developer and builder for many years, and have built in some very harsh environments, including Alaska and coastal areas. In more years than I care to admit to, I've never once been late on completing a custom home for a client, not ever, not even a day. Problems arise when people give unrealistic time frames because they either want to tell the client what they want to hear, or maybe they honestly believe they can deliver by that date.

If someone gives you a date, and then not only doesn't meet it, but doesn't do a good job of communicating with you, doesn't return messages, etc., then I would demand any deposit back. Folks that continually go way past delivery dates and/or are horrible at communicating should probably consider working for someone else, or having someone else run the business side of things and take care of client contact.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently having a 9mm built by Limcat Customs. Johnny and Julian Lim are great with communication. Whenever I email or call, I get a quick response and efficient information. Since this is my first open gun, I've had to rely on them for a lot of guidance, and they've been really great at explaining the pros and cons of different options. As for timeliness of the build, we're right on schedule, and it may even arrive few days early. From my own business I know there's a triangle we're always fighting against. The three corners are inexpensive, fast, and high quality. Most people know you can't have all 3...and I'm thinking with gun builds, you can only have one.