Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major - Nickel Brass Question

BillChunn

Ok, the racegun was dropped off at the gunsmith's as he notified me that the 9x19 Major barrel and assorted parts have arrived. It is currently chambered in .38 Super but with brass getting harder to find, it's time to go to 9 Major. I use nickel brass for the Super as it's easier to find when sorting out brass during practice sessions, especially when shooting indoors.

Now to the question. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using nickel plated brass for 9 Major?

Currently reloading 9mm for 3 gun competiton and it's running in a Glock 34 and an Olympic Arms AR15-style carbine that is setup to use Glock magazines. I really do not want to get the 9 Major loads confused with the 9mm "minor" loads used in those weapons. Or have the opposite happen, drive three or four hours away to a major match and find out the wrong boxes were grabbed and the ammo doesn't cycle the gun or shoots minor.

Yeah, the ammo boxes are properly labeled and everything, but reducing the possibility of an ammo "error" (OK, brain fart) and damaging a weapon or worse is the objective.

Thanks for any and all input.

HH

Nickel brass stays nice and pretty and does corrode/tarnish like brass does. I use it interchangeably with regular brass- minor loads only though. Sometimes if I have enough sorted nickel brass- I'll load up a big batch- they look cool. :)

My experience is that 45ACP nickel brass cracks faster than pure brass. How many times do you plan to reload it?

Have had the same experience with .45ACP and you can hear the difference in the "ring" when one is cracked. Reload it 3 or 4 times (hopefully) but not more than 5. Will have to see how it holds up.

HH

I shoot brass and nickel interchangeably also. Nickel is easier/faster to clean and size when reloading. It's definitely slicker so that has to help with stripping out of the mag and chambering. Not sure if it's a really appreciable difference in this regard, though.

I have notice that nickel does crack at the mouth faster than brass but I have to load it more than 8-10 times before they start to crack. Just make sure you bell the mouth as little as possible. I usually shoot any 9 major brass 3-5 times for practice and then shoot that batch in a match and leave it.

Edited by al503

I've shot thousands of nickel 9 major brass and haven't had a problem. I'm lucky enough to get it all free so I almost exclusively use nickel brass. It's a little slicker in the sizing die and shines up real nice. I only reload it once so I haven't had any problems with cracking.

• 3 weeks later...

I had someone tell me that his 9mm major gun would not run with nickel but ran fine with regular brass. This sounded weird to me, does it make any sense at all? I mean assuming oal, crimp, powder and bullet are the same, it should not matter right? Is nickel thicker or thinner then regular brass? or the same?

I stopped reloading nickel plated cases a couple of years ago, may be 3 years. The only reason - I had way more primer seating issues with it, I just don't pick it up anymore, or toss it if I get some along regular cases.

Primer pockets seem to be tighter in those cases, regardless manufacturer.

Oh, I load 9mm Minor too.

Edited by CeeZer