Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry gun options

sgrc1

I would suggest just loading some reloads in .40 with a

PF close to your carry ammo and just practice with the G27 a lot. The G27 is a great pistol and very concealable. You will never shoot it as fast with defensive ammo as you can shoot your G17 with target loads however.

If that doesn't work out, consider a G23 or a G19.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I bought one :P Kahr P40. I love this little gun. Haven't shot it yet. Will have to see. I loved the steel frame Kahr. Hope this one is the same. I checked out the Kel-tec 9mm, didn't like the feel or trigger pull. Taurus Millenium 9mm, to bulky and trigger sucked. Smith auto? nice trigger pull, bigger than I wanted to deal with. Walther, wimpy round, nice size, crappy trigger. Glock 26/27, not comfortable at all, to short in the hand. G19/23, liked the trigger, felt good in the hand, just bigger than what I wanted. So, I was back to the Kahr. Thin, small, nice caliber, good trigger(really good in my opinion) that felt very close to an LDA. Stainless slide, good for concealed carry. In my opinion, this is the ultimate CCW. <_< Will shoot it this weekend and report back. TXAG

Why not carry the Glock? You are comfortable with its fire control system, and ease of carry. If you went to a cocked and locked 1911 type, think about getting a good safety, that will require a positive force to remove and good holster that either covers the trigger guard or secures the gun with a thumb snap.

For what it is worth, I shoot a STI .40 in limited, but carry either a Sig P228 in 9mm or a Ruger SP101 in .357 mag. The wheel gun is usually carried in the summer, easy to slip it into a pocket, or tuck it into my hip at the waistband. The Sig has plenty of power with +p+ corbons in it. The 357, well, the 125 JHP screamers have a great history of stopping power, if not deafening power. Och those things are loud without muffs!

Look at thr Kahr Arms guns, especially the polyner framed versions.

The Kahr K-9 is a sweet little carry gun. On the ankle, in your pocket, wherever, it fits and functions.

For me, hopefully soon, it'll be a G19 or G23.

Rich

Well, I shot the Kahr P40. It is a hand full with my major match loads. It shoots well and the trigger is great. I will have to test some defense loads to find one I like for carry. I can recommend this gun as reliable and accurate. It is definately a hand full in .40 though. :P TXAG

I carry a Kimber officers size. Same controls as my STI Edge with a narrower grip for concealment. I also have a STI VIP and only carry it if I can wear a vest or coat to help to cover up the fat grip.

When I'm in the gym and I can't carry my real guns, I pack a little S&W Model 442 .38spl J-Frame. It rides nicely in a Don Hume IWB holster (with a clip) inside of my wide, nylon back support belt. A speed strip with a reload goes in the pocket of my sweatpants.

I figured it might be bad form if a gov't model fell onto the floor when I was there. ;)

After 26 yrs of off duty ccw, I now carry a Sig P-230 (380). A S&W 640 in 38 is also carried at times. Small & light for summer carry, winter gun is a Sig 245. I have a Glock 27 too, but I also found it to be too uncomfortable. CCW is kinda like your underwear.............its a personal matter.....(if you wear underwear)....

I shot my P40 again today. I love it. Any suggestions on a holster? I need something that can be carried in the waist band. Preferably with a clip that will reverse to give many opions or where in the waste band it can be carried. TXAG

I shot my P40 again today. I love it. Any suggestions on a holster? I need something that can be carried in the waist band. Preferably with a clip that will reverse to give many opions or where in the waste band it can be carried. TXAG

http://www.donhume.com/Merchant2/merchant....ategory_Code=CH

The clip is fixed, but since it's a straight drop, you can wear it just about anywhere, including crossdraw. The price is good ($27) and you can get it for a few dollars less if you have a stocking dealer near you.

I'm normally a Kydex kind of guy, but it works great for my J-Frame.

the Kahr's are awesome expecially the polymer's very light. i still miss mine.

i generally carry either a full size beretta 92 or a Beretta 32 tomcat (very small but weak)

I really couldn't convince myself to carry a 380 when so many guns are made in 9mm that are teh same size or smaller.

For a holster I like the Galco version of the "Closing Argument" that Highnoon Holsters makes. The reason I got the Galco one was easy.....it was cheap on E-Bay. I'll probably get one for my 640 from Highnoon. Anyway its a good concealment rig for how I dress at work (slacks & a Polo shirt) or off duty (shorts with t-shirts that looks like a gun rag).

I've tried the 9mm small guns & I don't like them. I qualify every quarter with my guns and the small 9mm "hurts". Its just way too loud for me (I used the old Detonics Pocket 9). I just use the Sig P-230 stainless now. I can't get rid of it anyway since I've dropped it several times and no one would buy it. The same for my 640. But both are sweet for CCW.

Have two carry guns:

Summer gun--.380 Mustang

Winter gun--9mm STI LS-9

Both in Alessi IWBs. They operate the same way as my various competition guns. I'll occasionally use a J-frame as a pocket pistol in shorts and t-shirts. During the summer the LS-9 "lives" in a Wilderness Tactical Products Safepacker fitted with a shoulder strap...Safepackers are truly great products...instant car holsters!

mb

:P  I could just get a fanny pack.  Every time I see a fanny pack I think they are packing.  Definately makes you wonder.  TXAG

Me, too. Especially when I notice a wallet in the guys back pocket. Seems like if the fanny pack was for carrying all those pesky personal items, the wallet be in it. ;)

sqrc1,

If you're looking for something thin and still want to stick with a 1911, then I would suggest the STI BLS. That's as thin as you can get for a full power gun. It's .765" wide, and a sweet little gun. Not to mention, pretty affordable. I'm sure I would carry this one (or the VIP in cold weather) if I didn't have to carry a Glock.

Later

Phil

I have a Kahr PM9 thats used more often since its small. A Kimber CDP .45 3 inch officer's is my fav but often too much effort to conceal. For serious work a CAR-15 really fits my needs. B)

I'm still thinking about that G17, but if you EVER decide to let that PM9 go ...... come talk to me ! :rolleyes:

a comment about ccw in a hot environment.... like west coast of Florida... I have been looking for the perfect carry for a bunch of years ( I was one of the first 5000 in Fla when the new law opened)... I've had or have...NAAmini 22's, Wilkinson Sherry 22, Beretta 25, Secamp 32, KelTec 32, PPK380, KelTec3AT, Colt PocketLike380, SP101, SW640, SW442, G17, G19, BrowningP35, G22, G23, G27, G35, Charter 44, G21, 1911... my holster drawer has Sparks, Andrews, Bianchi, Blackhawk,Coronado, Jag Wear, Uncle Mikes, and others....what I settled on is a system... I have no real perception of threat....I am such a nice person that birds land on my shoulder, and children play at my feet...I am prohibited by law from carrying at work (public school teacher) and would be in jeopardy of job termination if my I carry in my vehicle...so I have settled on a leather shoulder bag made by Jag Wear, to which I added nylon straps ...It holds the G23 with Trijicons, SureFire6P, and a spare mag... I shoot it quarterly, and the G35 more frequently than that... Is it perfect? of course not... can I do a 1.2 draw with it, of course not.... does it work in a Luby's Cafeteria scenario... yep....

You need to consider your overall requirements...my requirement is a 3 second access....the system works for me, and I feel comfortable with it.... for a short ride on the Harley the 442 in an Uncle Mike's fanny pack.... for a nightly stroll the KelTec 3AT in an Andrew's pistol pocket....

If you are just starting in competition, something like the G35/34 and G23/19 combo would be ideal.... If I were to start USPSA all over again (since 1982) I would shoot a G19 with Trijicons or Heinies and not look back.... regards

For those who dont know Les, he's a very realistic guy and if I had to be in a shooting in Luby's or a mall, he's one of the few I want with me.

I've been carrying my Sig 239 (40) for a few months and love it. Its not a competition piece, but I'll tell you, its very accurate and super reliable. Also has the DA/SA and is more than accurate for what I need in a carry gun.