Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Predator Tactical

Jammer1911

Jammer1911,

I was fortunate enough to handle and shoot a couple different Predator Tacticals. One was a Scarab (wide body) in 9mm and the other was a (single stack) Shrike in 9mm. Both guns ran great right out of the box.

One of the last out door matches I used the 9mm Shrike and found it to be way more fun to shoot then should be legal. So after my experiences I am expecting an Iron Shrike to be delivered in the next week :D

One of my shooting friends used 45 acp mags in his SS 40 until he picked up several Cobra Tripp 10mm mags with the gen 2 followers.

Hope this helps

woof

Matt's mag well are awesome.

I know his gunsmiths, they do a great job.

I shoot a custom .40. This works well because I can use the same loads for my Limited and SS guns. I use on Tripp mags. I can easily get 9 rounds in the 8 round mags. I did have a set of his 10mm 8 round mags which allowed me to get 10 rounds in them.

I have loaded 40 S&W in my Wilson 45ACP mages. I had to bend the feed lips a little. Get the specs off the internet and you can do the same thing. I just found it easier to make Wilson and McCormick mags for my 45 and Tripps for my 40. That way I do not get them confused. I am not all that bright sometimes. I would hate going to a match with the wrong mags.

For me, it is much easier and cheaper to shoot 40 S&W rather than 45 ACP. I have a pretty soft 40 load which makes major. BTW: you probably wont need to load long for PT single stack guns.

Hello: I use my Wilson 47D's for my 40 single stacks and also the 45's. I load the 40 to 1.180" OAL and use the same load for my 5" Limited pistols. The Wilson 47D is a light mag also so it will help make the weight limit. Another good mag to use are the Metalform 45acp Elite mags. Pricey but are great. Thanks, Eric

Thank you all for the responses. All I can say is WOW! I am convinced on the 40 S&W. Not sure on the magwell choice yet. I read that the Compwell from PT requires frame mod and once done can't be undone. So I think my list so far is the

PT Iron Shrike40 S&W

Ambi Safety

Right Handed

30 LPI Frt strap

Serrations on slide

FO Frt Sight

Adj Rr Sight

Finish ???

Additional Mags

What am I forgetting?

BTW pjb, what load are you using?

I used VV 320, OAL ~1.18, Zero 180 JHP--- ~4.8 grains of VV320-- never less than ~170 PF---Area 2 and Nationals Chrono

My 200 grain Zero use 4.45 grains of VV320---this makes major also at Area 2 and Nationals.

I really like the 200 grain Zero bullets.

Personally I like the bling of polished bright sides in hard chrome. ION Bond is also good. So is the hard coating that McLean uses, but it requires frequent lube.

I use a Brown mag well but I would still use PT mag well and not worry about it being non-reverseable.

You will be happy with your Predator Tactical choice. I met with Matt and his team last month since I live in Arizona and checked out what they offer. Matt and his team are great. I was very impressed with his comp well, magwell, and decided to have that put on the gun they are building for me. I also did a lot of research on fininshes before I met with the guys at PT and felt the quality of the Black Nitride was there but wanted to see it in person. It is a very good looking finish and they use on the carbon steel or stainless guns. I saw both guns and they look great. It is worth the extra $$. You will definitely have a gun that looks as good as it shoots. I like having a relationship with guys building the gun, they definitly gave me confidence that if I need some fine tuning they are there to help.

Well the plunge is complete. Spoke with Matt today and my Predator is ordered. Now the long painful wait. Pics and range report will follow once received.

I can't say I have handled their handguns, but Matt built my FN SLP 2-3 weeks ago and I have been nothing but incredibly pleased with it. If I had enough money to have him build me a SS I would.

Edited by Punished

Picked up my PT Iron Shrike.

First impression was quality.

Racking the slide was smooth like glass on glass. Fit & finish was great!

This is one really fun shooting pistol!

Purdy too :wub:

Been home for an hour and it is still warm :surprise:

Jammer1911 you made a great choice!

woof

Edited by woof

Jammer1911,

I have an indoor match tomorrow and I will be using the PT. I will let you know how I like the comp-well after I try to reload under the stress of the clock. Though I don't think there will be any problems. It's like using my SV wide body.

woof