Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Tour 2012

Will be interesting to see more info once it is posted on 3GN. To be honest I see some great advancements into the format and layout from last year and I also see some bad in it.

I dont understand what the purpose of running a invitational only 64 shooter eventis for and by doing so gives the top 64 2 more chances to earn more points in a already tough series over everyone.

As stated the new shooters or guys just on the cusp are kicked back to the curb.

Once more, unless you were in the top 64 in 2011 you can NOT qualify for the 2012 3GN shoot-off finale in Vegas OR get into any of the other shoot-offs held after the qualifying host matches (LaRue, FN, Texas MG).

3 Gun Nation 2012 is for the 64 invited shooters ONLY and those are thr only ones eligible to make it into any shoot-offs.

Let me get this straight. If these rules had been in place for the 2011 3GN Season, my "everyday normal guy" shooting hero Rustin B may not have been eligible to compete in any of the post-match shootoffs OR the big event in Vegas this month, correct?? Reason being, I don't think Rustin was on too many people's radar as a 3-gun shooting powerhouse a year or two ago - but he earned his way into the big game based on performance throughout the year.

Just to clarify - if you're not part of the pre-selected "Elite 64", then you're destined to watch from the bench during shootoffs, regardless of your match performance - is this right?

If my understanding is correct, I fear this "Professionalization" of our sport will widen the gap between the top 10% "Pros" and the other 90%. One of the things I love about 3-Gun is that average guys can mingle and shoot with the very best on the planet - I hope this doesn't change as more money is pumped into the upper crust of the sport.

Or maybe I'm just disappointed because I didn't get an e-mail invitation??

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I'm wondering.

They also just flooded Tac optics with the best 3 gun shooters in the country at all the major matches.

I'm not reading it that way. The two required 3GN Produced matches sound like they are invite only. The FNH, Texas MG, and Rockcastle Pro-Am are the only three that qualify for the Pro-Tour and require Tac Ops. Everything else will be the same, Open, Limited, HM etc for the Hornady Divisional thing. I don't think it will have a huge effect on the three non-3GN produced matches. Some but not that bad. The other matches will give the opportunity to shoot whatever Division you think you have the best chance of winning overall in.

At least that's my read.

What you said, is my read too.

Patrick

Just to clarify - if you're not part of the pre-selected "Elite 64", then you're destined to watch from the bench during shootoffs, regardless of your match performance - is this right?

If my understanding is correct, I fear this "Professionalization" of our sport will widen the gap between the top 10% "Pros" and the other 90%. One of the things I love about 3-Gun is that average guys can mingle and shoot with the very best on the planet - I hope this doesn't change as more money is pumped into the upper crust of the sport.

AFAIK, for this season yes.

For next season there will be some open-for-all qualification event, where the lowest performers of the 64 would have to battle it out to keep their spots.

Edited by gose

Guys, pure and simple this is the start of a Professional Shooter Tour, 3GN had to start somewhere and some feelings are going to be hurt. that sucks but what is..is.

The two mandatory matches for 2012 may well turn into five 3 Pro series matches in 2013 These will have no association with any other event that we currently and will continue to enjoy.

While I am entering into the "twilight" of my shooting career, this new Pro Tour will benefit the new up and coming shooters for years to come.

The two new Pro Tour matches will feature a TV friendly format (cool new steel and paper targets and stages built to thrill the TV audience). I believe this new format could push into the extreme sports market. With the right TV combination, non endemic sponsors ARE possible. Monster Energy and Red Bull support extreme sports right? When the best that play our game are at their best burning down a stage is it not extreme? Especially a stage, match and tour designed with that precisely in mind???

The 3 Gun Nation Pro Tour is just the vehicle to get Competition Shooting out in front of a larger audience. The bigger WE get the better it is of all of us. Amateur and Pro alike.

The amateur aspect of competition will will never fade, (barring US political events that monkey up all gun related ventures) and there will still be plenty of 3 gun matches available to satisfy everyone, including those who do not make the Pro cut.

With the top 64 chasing the Pro Tour and for the most part not shooting the Outlaw matches, match slots will be filled with "new names". New names will be in the winners circle, new names that could go on to the Pro Tour (after qualification) if they so choose.

I see this as a win-win.

Patrick

With the top 64 chasing the Pro Tour and for the most part not shooting the Outlaw matches, match slots will be filled with "new names". New names will be in the winners circle, new names that could go on to the Pro Tour (after qualification) if they so choose.

I think understanding this process would make a lot of newer guys feel better, myself included. Especially the "after qualification" part.

The divison of 3 gun events, Made for TV matches, and Big money may be the best thing to ever happen to this sport.

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned. I certainly hope it sells some stuff for someone. Maybe 5-10 shooter will break even or make some cash.

Right now shooting a local 3-gun match at Blugrass Sportmans League tomorrow for $20, where they let everyone shoot sounds pretty good. My stuff is packed and I am out the door at 0700.

Guys, pure and simple this is the start of a Professional Shooter Tour, 3GN had to start somewhere and some feelings are going to be hurt. that sucks but what is..is.

The two mandatory matches for 2012 may well turn into five 3 Pro series matches in 2013 These will have no association with any other event that we currently and will continue to enjoy.

While I am entering into the "twilight" of my shooting career, this new Pro Tour will benefit the new up and coming shooters for years to come.

The two new Pro Tour matches will feature a TV friendly format (cool new steel and paper targets and stages built to thrill the TV audience). I believe this new format could push into the extreme sports market. With the right TV combination, non endemic sponsors ARE possible. Monster Energy and Red Bull support extreme sports right? When the best that play our game are at their best burning down a stage is it not extreme? Especially a stage, match and tour designed with that precisely in mind???

The 3 Gun Nation Pro Tour is just the vehicle to get Competition Shooting out in front of a larger audience. The bigger WE get the better it is of all of us. Amateur and Pro alike.

The amateur aspect of competition will will never fade, (barring US political events that monkey up all gun related ventures) and there will still be plenty of 3 gun matches available to satisfy everyone, including those who do not make the Pro cut.

I see this as a win-win.

Patrick

Well said Pat, give the guys a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I need to retract that last post. My new agent Drew Rosenhaus says I gotta clean up my act.

I do not think a Brillo pad and a chemical acid wash could clean up your act! :roflol:

In the past I have not been a fan of 3 gun nation. I felt like the hoopla surrounding the filming was disruptive to the matches, the shoot offs delayed the prize tables, and he bias tword scope Tac personally annoyed me. My biggest fear was that the stages would be changed to be more TV friendly.

These changes are good in my mind. I am glad that 3 gun nation is finally stepping up and putting on their own made for TV matches. They can tailor the pro matches to be more suitable for the TV viewing public. The amatuer matches can continue to have a more "classic" 3 gun feel. Now the pro shooters have a venue to compete against each other without interference or the distraction of shooters who are not up to the tour standards. This can be a win for everyone involved, those that have the desire and ability to compete on the pro tour can do so, and those that can't, or don't want to can continue to play the game the way that we have in he past.

Edited by Stlhead

I have mixed feelings about this at the moment, but I see how it can be beneficial to the sport in the future. I will feel much better once the method for qualifying into the top 64 is laid out for future seasons. The great part about our sport is that it doesn't matter who you know, you still have to perform after the buzzer sounds. My only fear is that it could become political as far as who gets in and who does not. As long as the top 64 shooters are, in fact, the best 64 shooters in the nation, it will be fine. The purity of the sport will be degraded if sponsors are allowed to purchase slots for particular shooters. If we are going to represent our sport on national TV, we need to do so with the best we have to offer. Now, I don't want people to think that I am complaining, because I am not. I am simply expressing my thoughts on the matter. I am excited for the opportunity to enhance my skills to the level of the elite 64 shooters. Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly motivating :D

Edited by Birdman821

I was initially not happy with this but after some thought I think it is a good thing and more power to 3GN!

There had to be a way to pick the Elite shooters and at least they used the 2011 rankings. I do think if you look at the 2011 results either overall or Tac Optics you will see some good 1 match and 2 match scores for maybe 15-20 shooters who did not shoot the required 3 matches. If I were one of them I would be somewhat upset as the rules for the 2012 game were not on the table last year.

How about the top finishing AMs from the AR15/Rockcastle PRO/AM? Did any of them make it in? By the rules posted here the answer would be no.

My plan this year was to shoot three 3GN matches and see where I stacked up. So now my plan will just have to change and I will wait and see how the qualification for 2013 will be handled.

Hopefully we will know that in time to make adjustments to our shooting plans and not have to guess.

In any event I look forward to shooting with any and all elite 64 shooters this year.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Just found this little bit of info:

QUESTION: How will the quailfying work to get into the Pro Series for next year? What matches should we make sure and sign up for to be eligible? ANSWER: The Bottom 25% from this season will lose their Pro Tour Card, and we will hold a 1-Time qualifying match at the beginning of the 2013 season that is open to the public and the bottom 25%. Bring your A-Game, take one of those slots and shoot as a 3GN Pro in 2013.

:D

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Just found this little bit of info:

QUESTION: How will the quailfying work to get into the Pro Series for next year? What matches should we make sure and sign up for to be eligible? ANSWER: The Bottom 25% from this season will lose their Pro Tour Card, and we will hold a 1-Time qualifying match at the beginning of the 2013 season that is open to the public and the bottom 25%. Bring your A-Game, take one of those slots and shoot as a 3GN Pro in 2013.

:D

David E.

If true, I really like this format to "break in" to the Pro Tour. One match - straight up, head-to-head shooting; the best get the slots. Much better and easier on the checkbook than having to shoot "x" number of qualifying matches spread out across the country.

How about the top finishing AMs from the AR15/Rockcastle PRO/AM? Did any of them make it in? By the rules posted here the answer would be no.

I finished 9th in the 2011 Pro-Am and did not receive an invitation. Never expected one anyways lol. Still need quite a bit of practice to come up to that level.

Edited by Birdman821

A one time qualifying match for 2013? Good luck getting a spot in that match...lol

The top 48 won't be in that match. So places 49-64, if they show up, would only be 16 shooters. If they have room for 100, that means 74 slots, might be easy to get a slot, might be tough.

My question is why such a low number? 64!!! They had 1200 plus shooters signed up in 3GN now only a small portion fully participated in 3GN but looking at the list there are a bunch of great shooters who miss the cut and should be part of the Pro series.

I also see very small opportunities for shooters to make the cut for 2013 as well.

As stated a guy like Rustin who broke into the game and did a great job this year might not ever make the 64 cut the way this is setup.

There is almost 250 shooters at any of the major matches. I feel the magic 64 number is to low and should be moved up to 100 or even doubled in order to accommidate more of the top shooters out there and to allow for future spots for the upcoming shooters.

I'm still scratching my head over how this is laid out and to why such a low number of shooters when the country has 1000's of great 3 gun shooters.

Outerlimits you got that right!!

The format was fine and fair for everyone, there was a equal chance for pro,novice, rookie, junior, handicapped, lame, blind and dumb to earn a spot in the final shootout the way it was.

The best of the best would have earned the most points and you would get your final 64 for a shootout anyways. Allowing the final group to shoot it out in Vegas next year. Same results while giving new shooters a chance for some of the glory.

I think one of the coolest things that came from this season was seeing Rustin B the rookie come in and put some extra excitment into the shootout and points race. The guy burned down the series and was a underdog. Thats what makes 3 gun exciting not knowing who the next underdog to come into the game will be.

From my view of this I dont feel that the 3GN series is in the best interest of all the shooters of this sport anymore.

Also how are they picking top 64. From shootoff at fn when we all shot same gear or from the year end standings when we know some people intentionally shot divisions with less competitors and less competition to earn more points

The top 64 in the final 2011 standings, you can find them here: http://3gunnation.com/the_series/standings/s/overall_standings

After the top decide if they are going to play or not (by Feb 8th) the remaining slots will be offered to the top 100. I only shoot Open, so I won't be playing, although it would be cool to have one of the Pro Tour cards they will be giving out Pros. To those who didn't get the email, its at least $650 in fees to play. A bit too much for someone like me who is not competitive in Tac Ops.

Would have been interesting if 3GN had a different division at each match. That way everybody would have to shoot Tactical,Open, Heavy Metal, Limited and HM Optics to see who had the best skills overall and not just in a single division.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.