Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder shopping

a matt

Looking for thoughts on the safest powder. I know powder is as safe as I want it to be, but i dont want to end up with alot of 1lb.bottles with that shipping charge.looking for major power with MG 180 CMJ. Any suggestion will help.

WSF (Winchester Super Field) may not be the lowest recoil for a given PF, but it does give some of the lowest pressures and works in most calibers from 9mm to .45. It meters well in progressives and has a decent volume to charge weight. If you only want one powder, one of the best.

Agreed with the WSF. It is reverse temp sensitive though.

At 50deg I was averaging 960fps and at 90deg I was at 915 with the same load.

WSF (Winchester Super Field) may not be the lowest recoil for a given PF, but it does give some of the lowest pressures and works in most calibers from 9mm to .45. It meters well in progressives and has a decent volume to charge weight. If you only want one powder, one of the best.

Edited by OzzieF

N320 is a very good powder for long loaded .40 S&W major. Less so for factory lentgh major. However, the OP asked for the "safest" which N320 would NOT be.

Sorry not meant as a quote reply.

Edited by Casman

N320. If not that, Titegroup. I've not tried S1000, WSF, or PP. After seeing a few blown cases in the summer time around here (and after seeing my gun get filled up with unburned powder), I stay away from WST.

Gun is a 2011 5" oal 1.180. The $ doesn't bother me as long as it is the safest for major.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'safest'. *Any* powder will be extremely dangerous if it goes off when the gun is pointed at your crotch, head or wife.

If you mean you are planning to accidentally overcharge cases ;) , then any fairly voluminous powder should make it pretty obvious. n320, power pistol, and i'm pretty sure wst and wsf will all overflow from a .40 case with a double charge. If you are planning to accientally seat the bullets too short or have some kind of setback problem, then I'm not sure which would be best. I have read about pressure spikes with clays with too short an OAL, but not with these other powders.

Obviously, you're not 'planning' to do any of those things, but if you give an idea about what safety issues you're worried about, experienced folks can offer better opinions. When I started reloading, I wanted to use a powder that would burn clean, recoil soft, overflow the case if double-charged, and not blow up my gun if the bullet was seated .05 too short. I started with power pistol, and very quickly switched to n320, but I'm shooting minor. Based on my experience with n320, my first look would be at n330 or n340 for bullets heavier than 165 grain, at least until i'm confident to get off the reservation and work up my own n320 load.

I think most anything you can find in a reputable reloading manual would be as safe as anything else. With that in mind, n330 and n340 are both recommended for use with 180g bullets if you like VV powders. I don't know if they burn as clean or shoot as soft as N320 does for me.

Edited by motosapiens

N320 is a very good powder for long loaded .40 S&W major. Less so for factory lentgh major. However, the OP asked for the "safest" which N320 would NOT be.

Why would that be?

Pat

for starters, last I checked VV does not recommend it for 180g .40 bullets, which I think means VV enginners believe it burns too fast to have sufficient margin for error with that bullet. Now, loaded long, in a burly STI gun, it might be perfectly safe...., but mfrs seem to typically give load data that will work at saami-length cartridges or less.

Been using VV N320 for a while now with 180 plated bullets loaded to 1.160 with no ill effects. Just shot some rounds loaded with Solo 1000 this weekend. Nice and soft shooting, just a little smokey and a tad dirtier than the N320. Plus it's about half the price.