Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 magazines

D.Hayden

I did the search and where I ended up is trying both tripod and Wilson ETM. The Wilson are very tight to get the last two rounds in. I called Wilson to see if they had a speed loader and their tech laughed. He said leave them loaded for a weekend before a shoot and they are still tight. They have run 100%. The tripod mags were backordered for 2-3 months, bit they have run flawlessly. They are a little bit easier on the thumbs. You will be happy with either one.

I'm a believer in the Wilson ETM mags. They were pretty tight with 10 rounds loaded, and at first I used them only for steel matches. Now they have relaxed enough to use for IPSC matches. I have used my ten mags in three different 9mm single stacks, and they function great.

FWIW, the Wilson mags work great in my Springfield Loaded... I did keep them fully loaded for about a week, and yep the 10th round was a bit tough... but no more. I have shot WWB, American Eagle and Sellier with equal results.

Bob

post-35517-0-05154200-1322541392_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Got a couple samples of the Tripp's and Dawson's.. both are made really nice and well finished.. now.. need to get out there and try them.. and buy more of whichever works best.. hopefully this weekend

The Dawson's are a little more than 10% heavier (weighed on a powder scale in grains)

Tripp: 1169gr

Dawson's: 1336gr

Got a couple samples of the Tripp's and Dawson's.. both are made really nice and well finished.. now.. need to get out there and try them.. and buy more of whichever works best.. hopefully this weekend

The Dawson's are a little more than 10% heavier (weighed on a powder scale in grains)

Tripp: 1169gr

Dawson's: 1336gr

Load the Tripps up and let them sit a couple of days. When the springs are new and strong, chambered rounds drag the next round in the magazine forward and they can sometimes stick when dropping a partial mag. Once they break in that stops. They're great.

My Springfield Loaded runs flawlessly with Metalforms. They are very hard to load to capacity, but have never given me a problem. They feel like junk, light gauge metal and seem flimsy, but they have worked perfectly. I've shot both lead round nose and 115 jhp's

Thanks.. just loaded them all up.. I'll let them sit..

The Dawson's did load much easier.. so maybe the trips have a heavier spring?

Perhaps, but remember the follower design in the Tripps is also a spring. When fully loaded it compresses some in order to make room for 10.

Get one of these. Best $6 you'll ever spend. I only use it on the last couple of rounds, but it sure makes it easier on your thumb.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24931/catid/24/Adco_Super_Thumb_ST3

Edited by Steve J

FWIW the UPLULA speeds loader works wonderfully on the Wilson 10 round 9mm Mags. Even after several uses and keeping them loaded for several weeks, I still find the speedloader useful. I also noticed that the Metalforms don't need the speedloader.

Had a real warm day yesterday, in the high 40s.. tried these mags out

Both were much better than the Metalform. Did have one stovepipe with a Tripp mag.. I'll need more rounds down to see if it was that mag or an anomaly.

The Dawson is odd.. it's very hard to strip the rounds out with my thumb.... they all nose dive into the mag body.. but it feeds in the gun nicely - i guess that's al that matters

Had the trigger worked on too - this is going to be a fun little gun

My friend runs the dawsons and he has a problem with the slide locking back after the last round (IDPA so you want to go to slide lock) not sure if how many # spring he's running. I use the stock metalform mag and the tripps without ever having an issue. Have one wilson etm that failed me once so it is now used as a barney mag.

• 3 weeks later...

Have the Dawson mags and I've not had any problems. They also work for locking the slide back without a problem. The Wilson's are not reliable for locking the slide back. The Wilson's are also VERY tight with 10 rounds in them. I did cut one coil off the Wilson spring to take some of the fight out of them and leave them fully loaded all the time. After a year they are doing better but I would stay with the Dawson's going forward.

• 4 months later...

Load the Tripps up and let them sit a couple of days. When the springs are new and strong, chambered rounds drag the next round in the magazine forward and they can sometimes stick when dropping a partial mag. Once they break in that stops. They're great.

I wish I had read this post prior to the match this weekend.... I had bought four TrippCobra mags and run approx 20 rounds through each mag prior to the match. No issue at all. Was really hard to put 10 rounds in each mag but oh well.. At stage 1, after first two shots, I had a stove pipe. Cleared it and reloaded and had another stove pipe. This repeated with all four mags during stage 1 :angry: Never had this crazy jam.

While scratching my head, I decided to load only nine rounds in each mag and the jam never happened again. My mags are now sitting on the shelf with ten rounds in them. Let's see....

Edited by jaep1911