Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Match Grade" 9mmP Barrels for 1911s

rhino

I have put in 3 9mm schuemann barrels in to 1911s all have shot under 1.5 in groups at 25yds. The only reason the groups weren't smaller was due to the person pulling the trigger. one was even an officers size. I think everyone here has heard about SVI using schuemann and getting 0.75 in at 50yds on a fairly regular basis. So if it is the most accurate barrel you are after, schuemann is what you want.

Okay ... I'm looking at Chuck Bradley's web site, and I see that there is a Scheumann barrel listed as 9mm/.38 super.

Is it the same barrel, but you have to have your smith ream the chamber to allow for .38 super if that is your caliber of choice? Or are there two different barrels?

And ... does it matter which ramp style, or are frames cut differently for the two major types? And which is appropriate for my Springfield gun which has a piece of crap ramped barrel already installed?

Okay ... I'm looking at Chuck Bradley's web site, and I see that there is a Scheumann barrel listed as 9mm/.38 super.

Is it the same barrel, but you have to have your smith ream the chamber to allow for .38 super if that is your caliber of choice? Or are there two different barrels?

And ... does it matter which ramp style, or are frames cut differently for the two major types? And which is appropriate for my Springfield gun which has a piece of crap ramped barrel already installed?

It is the same barrel, you have it finished reamed to the caliber of your choice ( the AET barrels are a little different).

The ramp style matters, the cuts are specific for each type. The part of the barrel that contacts the frame when the gun unlocks is flat on a Wilson/Nowlin, it is a radius on the Clark/Para. I like the Clark/Para ramp personally, the guns seem to lock and unlock easier, the Wilson/Nowlin feel kind of clunkie to me.

Scheumann and Barsto barrells are both excellent. For bang for your buck I like Kart barrels.

My Springfield had the Wilson/Nowlin cut done to it when Springfield installed their ramped barrel.

I have a Nowlin barrel. Excellent bore. The Nowlin bushing matched my slide and barrel perfectly also.

I know I saw Piatt had one in his 9 x 19 Caspian (Mettalic Sight Bianchi gun).

What does TGO have in his?

Although I'm sure all the big names make great barrels.

When I was working on building an IDPA ESP gun, I asked Irv III at Bar-sto if 9mm or .38 Super would be the best for accuracy. His answer was "9mm every time."

If you send it to Irv for fitting onee of his barrels (he doesn't do anything else to a gun) you'll have a tack-driver. He makes barrels in either ramp.

Take this for what you will. I had two Nowlin 9mm barrels fitted to my open and steel 9SC guns. They would not and will not group at 25yds. I was going to use the stock gun at Bianchi, not with that accuracy. Best group was 1.26 in at 25yds with PPC ammo. I want around 2in at 50, wont happen in this barrel. I have tried XTPs and Sierras. Not good enough. Funny thing is they were bought from the same batch, same distributor, same time. Just to figure out it wasnt the smith. I then put the Schuemann 9SC barrel fitted by the same smith and shot a sub 2in. group at 25 yds with my crap lead steel load. Now dont take this as a slam against Nowlin, I have two .40s in service that are top notch, and my buddy has a .45 with over a 100K in it that will still do under 3in at 50yds, so they are usually good barrels, but there is a problem when an auto ordnance barrel will outshoot my handfit match barrel..................I am either going to buy a Schuemann or Barsto. DougC

If you send it to Irv for fitting onee of his barrels (he doesn't do anything else to a gun) you'll have a tack-driver. He makes barrels in either ramp.

I did just that and could not be happier.

I like Will just fine, but I tried one of his barrels in .45 and just hated it. In fact, it's the only barrel I've had pulled out of the gun and replaced (and I paid list for the darn thing!). It was the single most bullet-sensitive barrel I've ever shot...heck, forget lead! It was wildly picky about jacketed bullets, the chamber was so tight it wouldn't let go of even new Federal Match ammo, and the groups were good, but not worth the grief.

Bruce Gray recommends Bar-sto for 9mm 1911s, and he's forgotten more about the subject in the last 30 minutes than I know! He's got a Bar-sto in his SIG Granite 1911 9mm (I believe), which he built from a .45 just to stay in practice, I guess.

Michael B

Thanks for all of the advice, guys ...

How long is the typical turnaround time from BarSto?

Turn around depends on inventory. If he has the barrel on the shelf, I'd guess a week. If not, ???? Call - Irv will give you a pretty good estimate + or - a week.

Best time to catch him is between 7 - 8 am Pacific - or so my luck has been.

Rhino,

For whatever it is worth, I've had experience with 2 different 9mm barsto barrels and they both shot incredibly well. I would most definetly have Irv fit it himself rather than your local smith, it will be vault tight and shoot very well.

Surprised to hear that Doug had bad experiences with Nowlin barrels. I have 2 for my 38super, both made about 1995 or 1996. Both have more than 30K on them and both are still very accurate - less than .75" at 25yards.

Part of that I'm sure is the bore, part of that is the fit to the slide and frame. Just a guess but maybe Doug's barrels were fit to his guns a little "off". Or else the quality control slipped at Nowlin. Couldn't say which.

Around here (central Florida) a lot of guys are very happy with KKM barrels. Kart and Schueman also get big thumbs up.

BarSto's reputation is golden for a reason. Please don't confuse them with BoMar...