Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI worth $600+ more than Brazos?

ctay

Sure, there are some really good builder out there. But Chris was asking specifically about only two. He could save even more money and buy an Open Sig. But he wasn't asking about saving money.

I personally do not like poppel holes. I have six or so, in an older IMM. They are obnoxious.

I think you cannot go wrong with either builder. I just prefer the work of Infinity and Kodiak Precision.

The Brazos will have better resale value regardless of initial price. I like the design of Limcat Custom guns. They are designed smart. They remove a large chunk of recoiling weight from the slide and put a comp in its place with both porting and slots. In addition they use a full length recoiling system on their shorter guns. So, for the 4.5 to 5 k range I would suggest checking them out also.

Also, I love popple holes mixed with very slow powder. It sounds like god himself is striking someone down when I shoot my Tanfoglio Gold with N105.

Edited by Whoops!

I have an SVI IMM 38SC with 3 hybrid holes with the new metal grip. The metal grip is very nice and the gun shoots very smooth which was surprising considering the big barrel holes and shorter slide length. The gun is very loud but I think part of that is the inherent loudness of 3n38 powder, and since I double plug it’s not a problem at all. In fact, it’s quiter double plugged than my limited gun with just earmuffs. Ro’s and bystanders still complain though but who cares.

The IMM has these little touches that I’ve never seen on other custom guns, definitely an advantage to making all the parts in house. The whole gun was designed from the ground up for Open.

That said Brazos makes pretty good stuff too and would be the ticket if you wanted a light-weight polymer gripped gun.

I voted Brazos. I was going to buy an SVI IMM, the owner told me the comp was cracked so I called SVI to see about a replacement. To say I was shocked by their cost to replace the comp, well yes $2500. As it was explained to me the IMM comp is a swedged press fit on the barrel and they would also have to replace and fit the barrel along with the new comp. This stopped me cold from buying the IMM used gun.

I think that poppel holes can complement certain firing systems in 38 Super, but in 9 major it can be a problem.

If LimCat is shot by the top shooters in the USA and the National's winners are using them, maybe you should consider one as backup gun.

I am not sure about the resell value of Brazos v. SV with SV being lower. I do not agree.

I have seen SVs built by Kodiak Precision resell for the price paid.

Maybe I misread CocoBolo; the cost to replace a comp is not $2500. The comp is 300 bucks as well as a new barrel. So $600 for a new barrel and comp. Notwithstanding the refitting of the barrel. Both Bob and Brandon standby their products. Infinity is shot by National and World Champions, which IMO is NOT the reason to buy a gun or gunsmith.

Chris, if you are going to the Desert Classic, let me know, I will bring my SV and ammo you can shoot to your hearts content. I will also let you shoot my Kodiak Precision SV Limited gun. You might want a cigarette afterwards.... as Pat says, it is better than sex.

Hello: Like I stated above you may want to try before you buy. I know the IMM guns or ones with large holes hurt my forehead. I am not sure if it is the concussion effecting my sinius cavitiy and causing pain. It feels like someone hitting me hard with there knuckle betwwen the eyes :surprise: As for resale they both take a large hit just like buying a new car. I still vote for buying a used open pistol first and see if you like shooting open. Thanks, Eric

What makes an SV worth the extra money?

They have a year wait to get one and people just keep lining up. Sounds like a case of supply and demand to me. No one is forcing people to spend that much cash and wait and wait all that time.

If you can find a new SV frame, send it to Bob @ Brazos and I'm sure he will build the ProSX with it. That's what he told me last time.

I really don't know too much about IMM, but I do know few things about Brazos guns. Bob spend time talking with the shooters. My girlfriend has hands that are much smaller even than average female. Bob traced her hand, and cut the frame to fit her hands. She shot quite a few different STI/SV from various builders in the past few years, and the ProSX is still by far her favorite gun. I remember Bob talked about MOA size of CMore, and he helped me to make the decision based on the age of my eyes, typical distance we shoot here, how fast I could find the dot, and also the number of sunny days based on my geographical location. :surprise:

Although most ProSX look the same there are some minor differences including where the gun is lightened externally and internally. Combines with individual shooter's ability and other parts used that's how Bob get the balance right for each shooter. Bob also put in A LOT of efforts into his "Pro Tuned" parts. I don't know enough to talk about the details but I can tell you they work better than 99.9% of the parts I tried in a 2011 platform.

I think the best thing to do (as everyone already mentioned) will be calling Bob and/or Brandon and discuss what you want to build. I'm sure you'll be happy with guns build by either one, but Bob was my choice. And I'm 100% happy with that decision.

I want to thank everyone for their replies! It seems pretty evenly balanced between the two. There are clearly a lot of different ways to skin this cat... I do wish more builders would spend a little more time on their website to promote their work. I'm a very visual learner - I want to be able to see the differences and read about the features.

I want to thank everyone for their replies! It seems pretty evenly balanced between the two. There are clearly a lot of different ways to skin this cat... I do wish more builders would spend a little more time on their website to promote their work. I'm a very visual learner - I want to be able to see the differences and read about the features.

I have talked to Bob from Brazos about every little question I had about guns. He is very open and willing to talk to you. He has had a table the last 4 years at the Florida Open. You should call him and ask him what matches he is planning on going to and then ask to see and shoot one of his guns. The Florida Open is a great match, one of those top 5 big matches that you should attend at least once in your shooting career. It is in February every year. You would just have to wait till then.

Randy

It seems pretty evenly balanced between the two. - I want to be able to read about the features.

CTAY, you don't mention what you are currently shooting, or

at what level of proficiency, or how long you've been at

IPSC. Don't believe you mentioned if you're going for a 9mm

or a .38.

At my level (B Open), I'm very happy with my Brazos TruBor,

in 9mm major. Just added some skateboard to the grip, and

a racker, and I've been at it for four years now.

If you're just getting started, you might well (see other

posts) think about a used gun - bunch of them around (Thanks

to the current economy).

I'm not sure what another $2500 would give me - BTW, it's

a good idea to have a backup gun if you're going to travel

far and shoot in Big Matches (Areas and Nationals, etc).

So, I bought two TruBors, just in case and spent $5,800, plus

the options. But, I have a back up gun Just In Case...

If you're "going for the Gold", and trying to make Master or

GM, ignore my little rant and get a Limcat:)

Good luck,

Jack

I know exactly how you feel. I was looking at both of your options when I was looking for a custom open pistol. A friend of mine suggested that I come over to his gunsmiths shop to see what he had to offer. This gunsmith did not have a website at the time so I was not sure about his work, but when you can talk with him, see his work close-up and shoot one of his pistols it helps with the decision.

I would think that most gunsmiths do not have the time to talk with every potential buyer, so I think that a website with lots of information is a must.

I either own or have owned both Brazos and SV Imm open guns and both without question are top quality. I inquired about having one of my IMM open guns rebarreled to 9mm major and the cost was extremely high. As to the metal grip, these modular guns were made with the plastic grips originally to save weight and to get the balance point foward. That is the way the SV guns were built until recently. If you want a metal grip use a Caspian frame and it is a solid piece.

Another excellent gun worth a hard look at is the Limcat. My Limcat 9mm is flatter shooting than any of the IMM or Brazos guns I have owned. Many different powder choices available for it also.

My Limcat 9mm is flatter shooting than any of the IMM or Brazos guns I have owned. Many different powder choices available for it also.

Jax, just curious, but why would you be able to use different

powders in a Limcat than another gun, if they're bot 9mm major?

What powder are you using? With what bullet weight?

Jack